FreeType font problem

Damien Cassou
Hi,

I'm playing with the Exupery VM on Pharo. If I change the font to
something else than Accuny, the underlined texts are not underlined
anymore. To reproduce:

- download and use http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15-linux.tz
- go to preferences->fonts->list fonts
- select Bistream Charter/regular/10, and apply
- open monticello and open the Pharo repository

You will see that the installed packages are not underlined anymore.
Switch back to Accuny to see them underlined.

Does any of you have the same problem?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: FreeType font problem

Philippe Marschall-2-3
Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm playing with the Exupery VM on Pharo. If I change the font to
> something else than Accuny, the underlined texts are not underlined
> anymore. To reproduce:
>
> - download and use http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15-linux.tz
> - go to preferences->fonts->list fonts
> - select Bistream Charter/regular/10, and apply
> - open monticello and open the Pharo repository
>
> You will see that the installed packages are not underlined anymore.
> Switch back to Accuny to see them underlined.
>
> Does any of you have the same problem?

Yeah, sure.

Cheers
Philippe

FreeType font problem

Bryce Kampjes
Damien Cassou writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm playing with the Exupery VM on Pharo. If I change the font to
 > something else than Accuny, the underlined texts are not underlined
 > anymore. To reproduce:
 >
 > - download and use http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15-linux.tz
 > - go to preferences->fonts->list fonts
 > - select Bistream Charter/regular/10, and apply
 > - open monticello and open the Pharo repository
 >
 > You will see that the installed packages are not underlined anymore.
 > Switch back to Accuny to see them underlined.

Anyone know if this is an image problem, a font problem, or a VM
problem? I'm not knowledgable about how the FreeType system is
supposed to work, I just compiled it.

Bryce

Re: FreeType font problem

Andrew Tween
Hi Damien,
It is a problem with all VMs, not only the Exupery one.

I have packaged up a fix for this.
Please see my comment in tracker issue 360 http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=360 , copied below...
---
Fixed in
http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoInbox/SLICE-underlineInLazyListsWithFreeTypeFonts-andrew_tween.2.mcz

LogicalFonts do not have underlined, or strikethrough, variants. Instead it is left
to whatever is asking the font to render text to also ask the font to display the
underline.

For TextMorphs this was already working properly, with DisplayScanner rendering
underlines and strikethrough. But, LazyListMorphs don't use DisplayScanner. They call
Canvas drawString... instead.

I have created new drawString methods that allow the underline/strikethrough to be
specified with boolean parameters. These drawString methods then ask the font to
render the underline/strikethrough after rendering the string. In addition, the
colour of the line can be specified which will allow it to be different from the
colour of the text - e.g. text in black underlined in red.
--
This is the first time I've made a SLICE, so apologies if I have made any mistakes.
I'll sign and mail the license agreement a.s.a.p.

Cheers,
Andy

.

> Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:08:30 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Pharo-project] FreeType font problem
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm playing with the Exupery VM on Pharo. If I change the font to
> something else than Accuny, the underlined texts are not underlined
> anymore. To reproduce:
>
> - download and use http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15-linux.tz
> - go to preferences->fonts->list fonts
> - select Bistream Charter/regular/10, and apply
> - open monticello and open the Pharo repository
>
> You will see that the installed packages are not underlined anymore.
> Switch back to Accuny to see them underlined.
>
> Does any of you have the same problem?
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: FreeType font problem

Andrew Tween
(I posted to another thread through hotmail, but it didn't seem to get sent
properly, so I'm trying again here through gmane)
[...]

"Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]>
wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hi,
>
> I'm playing with the Exupery VM on Pharo. If I change the font to
> something else than Accuny, the underlined texts are not underlined
> anymore. To reproduce:
>
> - download and use
> http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15-linux.tz
> - go to preferences->fonts->list fonts
> - select Bistream Charter/regular/10, and apply
> - open monticello and open the Pharo repository
>
> You will see that the installed packages are not underlined anymore.
> Switch back to Accuny to see them underlined.
>
> Does any of you have the same problem?
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: FreeType font problem

Adrian Lienhard
Thanks, Andrew!

I added your changes to the update stream (#10249).
The SLICE was perfect ;)

Cheers,
Adrian

On Mar 11, 2009, at 21:37 , Andrew Tween wrote:

> (I posted to another thread through hotmail, but it didn't seem to
> get sent
> properly, so I'm trying again here through gmane)
> Hi Damien,
> It is a problem with all VMs, not only the Exupery one.
>
> I have packaged up a fix for this.
> Please see my comment in tracker issue 360
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=360 , copied below...
> ---
> Fixed in
> http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoInbox/SLICE-underlineInLazyListsWithFreeTypeFonts-andrew_tween.2.mcz
>
> LogicalFonts do not have underlined, or strikethrough, variants.
> Instead it
> is left
> to whatever is asking the font to render text to also ask the font to
> display the
> underline.
>
> For TextMorphs this was already working properly, with DisplayScanner
> rendering
> underlines and strikethrough. But, LazyListMorphs don't use
> DisplayScanner.
> They call
> Canvas drawString... instead.
>
> I have created new drawString methods that allow the underline/
> strikethrough
> to be
> specified with boolean parameters. These drawString methods then ask
> the
> font to
> render the underline/strikethrough after rendering the string. In
> addition,
> the
> colour of the line can be specified which will allow it to be
> different from
> the
> colour of the text - e.g. text in black underlined in red.
> --This is the first time I've made a SLICE, so apologies if I have
> made any
> mistakes.I'll sign and mail the license agreement a.s.a.p.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]>
> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm playing with the Exupery VM on Pharo. If I change the font to
>> something else than Accuny, the underlined texts are not underlined
>> anymore. To reproduce:
>>
>> - download and use
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15-linux.tz
>> - go to preferences->fonts->list fonts
>> - select Bistream Charter/regular/10, and apply
>> - open monticello and open the Pharo repository
>>
>> You will see that the installed packages are not underlined anymore.
>> Switch back to Accuny to see them underlined.
>>
>> Does any of you have the same problem?
>>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: FreeType font problem

Robert Roland
I can't seem to apply these patches, using the "Software Update" option.

Attached is the debug.log from my session.

debug.log

   - Rob

Adrian Lienhard wrote
> [...]

> --This is the first time I've made a SLICE, so apologies if I have
> made any
> mistakes.I'll sign and mail the license agreement a.s.a.p.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> "Damien Cassou" <damien.cassou@gmail.com>
> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm playing with the Exupery VM on Pharo. If I change the font to
>> something else than Accuny, the underlined texts are not underlined
>> anymore. To reproduce:
>>
>> - download and use
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15-linux.tz
>> - go to preferences->fonts->list fonts
>> - select Bistream Charter/regular/10, and apply
>> - open monticello and open the Pharo repository
>>
>> You will see that the installed packages are not underlined anymore.
>> Switch back to Accuny to see them underlined.

Is this a dev image or core? We had updates in the past that only
worked in the core image.
Does anybody else see the problem?

Adrian

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is this a dev image or core? We had updates in the past that only
> worked in the core image.
> Does anybody else see the problem?

It worked for me

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [Pharo-project] FreeType font problem

Robert Roland
I'm working off the dev image.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: "Adrian Lienhard (via Nabble)"