FreeType installation

Nick
Hi,

I'm using the image from http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-web/sq3.9-
7067web07.08.1.zip and struggling to install the FreeType Plus package using
the "Package Universe Browser".

The installation freezes with the popup message "installing FreeType Plus-
plugins version 0.13" and a progress bar "Preamble" that fails to make any
progress!

Attempting to debug the problem, I started with a fresh image and installed
FFI. The FFI tests pass. Then FreeType successfully installs four dlls:
freetype6.dll, ft2plugin.dll, BitBltPlugin.dll and msvsr71.dll, at which stage
the installation freezes. I failed to interrupt the running process and found
the only way to stop it was to kill squeak. It seems to be that Squeak is
caught in some endless loop, which is gradually using more memory - Windows
starts giving me low virtual memory warnings after sometime.

When I restart squeak, the same thing happens - the system appears to hang, no
screen redraws, but consuming more and more RAM as time passes.

Removing the FreeType DLLs from my squeak directory allows me to restart
squeak and run as normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Re: FreeType installation

Andrew Tween
"Nick Ager" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hi,
>
> I'm using the image from http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-web/sq3.9-
> 7067web07.08.1.zip and struggling to install the FreeType Plus package
> using
> the "Package Universe Browser".
>
> The installation freezes with the popup message "installing FreeType Plus-
> plugins version 0.13" and a progress bar "Preamble" that fails to make any
> progress!
>
> Attempting to debug the problem, I started with a fresh image and
> installed
> FFI. The FFI tests pass. Then FreeType successfully installs four dlls:
> freetype6.dll, ft2plugin.dll, BitBltPlugin.dll and msvsr71.dll, at which
> stage
> the installation freezes. I failed to interrupt the running process and
> found
> the only way to stop it was to kill squeak. It seems to be that Squeak is
> caught in some endless loop, which is gradually using more memory -
> Windows
> starts giving me low virtual memory warnings after sometime.

Make sure you are using one of the later releases of the Windows Squeak VM.
I suggest you try the latest;  you can download it from here...
 http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.6-bin.zip

Then perform the install from the Package Universe Browser as you did
before.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: FreeType installation

Nick
Hi,

Make sure you are using one of the later releases of the Windows Squeak VM.
I suggest you try the latest;  you can download it from here...
 http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.6-bin.zip

Then perform the install from the Package Universe Browser as you did
before.
This fixed the problem. Squeak has never looked better.
I manually changed the fonts using System menu->appearance->system fonts...
Should this have happened automatically when I installed the package or is there a script I could run that would do it for me?

Thanks again

Nick

Re: FreeType installation

David Mitchell-10
It doesn't choose a font by default. Probably would be a good idea to
open a font chooser. It bugs me to have to set so many different font
defaults through the menus. I added a method to Preferences to set my
preferences. I then save this via Monticello and reload after getting
a new image:

http://www.nabble.com/Re:-setting-the-font-in-a-System-Browser-p12098779.html

On 9/18/07, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > Make sure you are using one of the later releases of the Windows Squeak
> > VM.
> > I suggest you try the latest;  you can download it from here...
> >  http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.10.6-bin.zip
> >
> > Then perform the install from the Package Universe Browser as you did
> > before.
> >

> This fixed the problem. Squeak has never looked better.
> I manually changed the fonts using System menu->appearance->system fonts...
> Should this have happened automatically when I installed the package or is
> there a script I could run that would do it for me?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Nick

Re: FreeType installation

Nick
David Mitchell-10 wrote
It doesn't choose a font by default. Probably would be a good idea to
open a font chooser. It bugs me to have to set so many different font
defaults through the menus. I added a method to Preferences to set my
preferences. I then save this via Monticello and reload after getting
a new image:

http://www.nabble.com/Re:-setting-the-font-in-a-System-Browser-p12098779.html
Thanks for the link - your code worked beautifully. Squeak has never looked so good.

Nick