French translation of PBE

SergeStinckwich
Hi all,

the translation of Pharo by Example (Vol 1) in french is almost finish.
Available on github here:
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-french

We are just polishing a little bit the text in french at the moment.
My main concern is now is that the book is based on an obsolete
version of Pharo (1.1).
We are investigating the effort to move to Pharo 1.2 with the team of
french translators.
What is the plan for the original version of PBE in english ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: French translation of PBE

stephane ducasse
Excellent
For now we are focusing on PBE 2 :)

Stef

On Apr 27, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the translation of Pharo by Example (Vol 1) in french is almost finish.
> Available on github here:
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-french
>
> We are just polishing a little bit the text in french at the moment.
> My main concern is now is that the book is based on an obsolete
> version of Pharo (1.1).
> We are investigating the effort to move to Pharo 1.2 with the team of
> french translators.
> What is the plan for the original version of PBE in english ?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: French translation of PBE

SergeStinckwich
The problem is that if want to adapt the PBE-fr Vol 1 for Pharo 1.2,
this no more a translation of the original PBE,
but we are on our own :-)

Regards,

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 3:00 AM, stephane ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent
> For now we are focusing on PBE 2 :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 27, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the translation of Pharo by Example (Vol 1) in french is almost finish.
>> Available on github here:
>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-french
>>
>> We are just polishing a little bit the text in french at the moment.
>> My main concern is now is that the book is based on an obsolete
>> version of Pharo (1.1).
>> We are investigating the effort to move to Pharo 1.2 with the team of
>> french translators.
>> What is the plan for the original version of PBE in english ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: French translation of PBE

laurent laffont
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

the translation of Pharo by Example (Vol 1) in french is almost finish.
Available on github here:
https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-french

We are just polishing a little bit the text in french at the moment.
My main concern is now is that the book is based on an obsolete
version of Pharo (1.1).

I think you should release it. Pharo 1.1 is not so old and you will have the joy to reach a milestone. Actually in (french) course I use PBE english, most students ask for the translation.

Laurent.

We are investigating the effort to move to Pharo 1.2 with the team of
french translators.
What is the plan for the original version of PBE in english ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: French translation of PBE

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:47 PM, laurent laffont
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the translation of Pharo by Example (Vol 1) in french is almost finish.
>> Available on github here:
>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-french
>>
>> We are just polishing a little bit the text in french at the moment.
>> My main concern is now is that the book is based on an obsolete
>> version of Pharo (1.1).
>
> I think you should release it. Pharo 1.1 is not so old and you will have the
> joy to reach a milestone. Actually in (french) course I use PBE english,
> most students ask for the translation.

Yes you are right, we will release the current version soon for Pharo
1.1 maybe only on the web,
and continue our work on Pharo 1.2.2 (or Pharo 1.3).

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: French translation of PBE

Luc Fabresse

Yes, I agree with Laurent.
release the translation you have.

#Luc

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the translation of Pharo by Example (Vol 1) in french is almost finish.
>> Available on github here:
>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-french
>>
>> We are just polishing a little bit the text in french at the moment.
>> My main concern is now is that the book is based on an obsolete
>> version of Pharo (1.1).
>
> I think you should release it. Pharo 1.1 is not so old and you will have the
> joy to reach a milestone. Actually in (french) course I use PBE english,
> most students ask for the translation.

Yes you are right, we will release the current version soon for Pharo
1.1 maybe only on the web,
and continue our work on Pharo 1.2.2 (or Pharo 1.3).

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: French translation of PBE

stephane ducasse
+1

On Apr 28, 2011, at 9:28 AM, Luc Fabresse wrote:

> Yes, I agree with Laurent.
> release the translation you have.
>
> #Luc
>

> 2011/4/28 Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:47 PM, laurent laffont
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Serge Stinckwich
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> the translation of Pharo by Example (Vol 1) in french is almost finish.
> >> Available on github here:
> >> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-french
> >>
> >> We are just polishing a little bit the text in french at the moment.
> >> My main concern is now is that the book is based on an obsolete
> >> version of Pharo (1.1).
> >
> > I think you should release it. Pharo 1.1 is not so old and you will have the
> > joy to reach a milestone. Actually in (french) course I use PBE english,
> > most students ask for the translation.
>
> Yes you are right, we will release the current version soon for Pharo
> 1.1 maybe only on the web,
> and continue our work on Pharo 1.2.2 (or Pharo 1.3).
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: French translation of PBE

Prof. Andrew P. Black
I think that what Stéph is saying is that

        (1) Updating to 1.2 is a lot of work.
        (2) There are more important things to do
        (3) A book that references an old version can still be useful.

It would be less work to update all of the translations at the same time.  So if PBE (English) is brought up to 1.3 at some point, then much of the work (the figures, deciding which text has to be modified) can be shared with versions in other languages.

It may be that releasing a new version of the book for each point release of the software is too much to ask.  Or it may be that we should avoid making changes (like appearance) in the system to things that will cause global changes to the book, or rather delay them to major releases.

        Andrew

On 27 Apr 2011, at 18:31 , Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> The problem is that if want to adapt the PBE-fr Vol 1 for Pharo 1.2,
> this no more a translation of the original PBE,
> but we are on our own :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 3:00 AM, stephane ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Excellent
>> For now we are focusing on PBE 2 :)
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Apr 27, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> the translation of Pharo by Example (Vol 1) in french is almost finish.
>>> Available on github here:
>>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoByExample-french
>>>
>>> We are just polishing a little bit the text in french at the moment.
>>> My main concern is now is that the book is based on an obsolete
>>> version of Pharo (1.1).
>>> We are investigating the effort to move to Pharo 1.2 with the team of
>>> french translators.
>>> What is the plan for the original version of PBE in english ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> --
>>> Serge Stinckwich
>>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>>> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: French translation of PBE

stephane ducasse
Yes
I thin kthat releasing SBE in french in its current state is really good.
After we will be able to do a join effort.

Stef

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that what Stéph is saying is that
>
>        (1) Updating to 1.2 is a lot of work.
>        (2) There are more important things to do
>        (3) A book that references an old version can still be useful.
>
> It would be less work to update all of the translations at the same time.  So if PBE (English) is brought up to 1.3 at some point, then much of the work (the figures, deciding which text has to be modified) can be shared with versions in other languages.
>
> It may be that releasing a new version of the book for each point release of the software is too much to ask.  Or it may be that we should avoid making changes (like appearance) in the system to things that will cause global changes to the book, or rather delay them to major releases.

Thank you for the comments Andrew.

We are currently working to release the final version of PBE-fr Vol 1
soon. We will used the same Pharo image than the current english
version.
After the release of this version, we will coordinate with you, to
update PBE-Vol 1 to Pharo 1.2.2 or Pharo 1.3.
We could join our effort for updating the screenshots.

BTW, could we setup a pharobyexample.org/fr ?

Regards,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that what Stéph is saying is that
>
>        (1) Updating to 1.2 is a lot of work.
>        (2) There are more important things to do
>        (3) A book that references an old version can still be useful.
>
> It would be less work to update all of the translations at the same time.  So if PBE (English) is brought up to 1.3 at some point, then much of the work (the figures, deciding which text has to be modified) can be shared with versions in other languages.
>
> It may be that releasing a new version of the book for each point release of the software is too much to ask.  Or it may be that we should avoid making changes (like appearance) in the system to things that will cause global changes to the book, or rather delay them to major releases.

Thank you for the comments Andrew.

We are currently working to release the final version of PBE-fr Vol 1
soon. We will used the same Pharo image than the current english
version.
After the release of this version, we will coordinate with you, to
update PBE-Vol 1 to Pharo 1.2.2 or Pharo 1.3.
We could join our effort for updating the screenshots.

For updating the screenshots, it sounds not difficult (even newbies can do it). You could do something like COTDC:
- take a chapter that needs updated screenshot
- send a mail on pharo-dev / pharo-users / smalltalk-fr with the procedure and how to submit easily
- the one who have submitted screenshot will have its name in the book

Laurent.

BTW, could we setup a pharobyexample.org/fr ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: French translation of PBE

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM, laurent laffont
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Andrew P. Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I think that what Stéph is saying is that
>> >
>> >        (1) Updating to 1.2 is a lot of work.
>> >        (2) There are more important things to do
>> >        (3) A book that references an old version can still be useful.
>> >
>> > It would be less work to update all of the translations at the same
>> > time.  So if PBE (English) is brought up to 1.3 at some point, then much of
>> > the work (the figures, deciding which text has to be modified) can be shared
>> > with versions in other languages.
>> >
>> > It may be that releasing a new version of the book for each point
>> > release of the software is too much to ask.  Or it may be that we should
>> > avoid making changes (like appearance) in the system to things that will
>> > cause global changes to the book, or rather delay them to major releases.
>>
>> Thank you for the comments Andrew.
>>
>> We are currently working to release the final version of PBE-fr Vol 1
>> soon. We will used the same Pharo image than the current english
>> version.
>> After the release of this version, we will coordinate with you, to
>> update PBE-Vol 1 to Pharo 1.2.2 or Pharo 1.3.
>> We could join our effort for updating the screenshots.
>

> For updating the screenshots, it sounds not difficult (even newbies can do
> it). You could do something like COTDC:
> - take a chapter that needs updated screenshot
> - send a mail on pharo-dev / pharo-users / smalltalk-fr with the procedure
> and how to submit easily
> - the one who have submitted screenshot will have its name in the book

yes good idea !

Thank you Laurent.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: French translation of PBE

Oscar Nierstrasz

No. Trust me. One of us should do it to ensure the quality. Too many things can go wrong.

on

On Apr 29, 2011, at 8:10, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For updating the screenshots, it sounds not difficult (even newbies can do it). You could do something like COTDC:
> - take a chapter that needs updated screenshot
> - send a mail on pharo-dev / pharo-users / smalltalk-fr with the procedure and how to submit easily
> - the one who have submitted screenshot will have its name in the book

Re: French translation of PBE

stephane ducasse
+1
expecially the browser/ide chapter ;(