Frozen at start up

HilaireFernandes
Hi,
I have this strange situation with a DrGeo built against P7, where DrGeo
starts, but then get frozen with this message.
Strangely the start seems not to have completed as the UI messages are
not localized in French.

What is strange, on my PC where I built the app, this problem does not
occur.

Any idea?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

=?UTF-8?Q?capture_d'=c3=a9cran1.png?= (54K) Download Attachment

Re: Frozen at start up

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi Hilaire,
  I have seen the same problem when trying to reproduce the error with FreeTypeFonts.
I can see that the problem arise because there is a startUp of a class that is calling the #splash method. This method uses Delay.
As this is run during the startup of the classes, it runs with the higher priority. Taking precedence over the Delay scheduling process.
In Pharo 7 the startup of the session runs in higher priority so it cannot be interrupted.
This is done in that way to fix some problems during the initialization of the session (Now, I could not remember what was fixed).
I believe this actions should be executed as a deferred action.

Also I have found a problem with the requirement of the UIThemeWatery class, I have fixed it extending UITheme with a new subclass (same behavior) so the code can be loaded.

If you want I can help you to port DrGeo to Pharo7.

Cheers,
Pablo

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 8:32 PM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I have this strange situation with a DrGeo built against P7, where DrGeo starts, but then get frozen with this message.
Strangely the start seems not to have completed as the UI messages are not localized in French.

What is strange, on my PC where I built the app, this problem does not occur.

Any idea?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Pablo Tesone.

Re: Frozen at start up

HilaireFernandes
Thanks I will dig on that direction.

By the way, DrGeo code at SH is obsolete. Pharo7 port is at
http://dev.drgeo.eu, more precisely
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/files/head:/src/

I should update the information page.

Thanks for the tips

Le 10/04/2018 à 21:36, [hidden email] a
écrit :

> Hi Hilaire,
>   I have seen the same problem when trying to reproduce the error with
> FreeTypeFonts.
> I can see that the problem arise because there is a startUp of a class
> that is calling the #splash method. This method uses Delay.
> As this is run during the startup of the classes, it runs with the
> higher priority. Taking precedence over the Delay scheduling process.
> In Pharo 7 the startup of the session runs in higher priority so it
> cannot be interrupted.
> This is done in that way to fix some problems during the
> initialization of the session (Now, I could not remember what was fixed).
> I believe this actions should be executed as a deferred action.
>
> Also I have found a problem with the requirement of the UIThemeWatery
> class, I have fixed it extending UITheme with a new subclass (same
> behavior) so the code can be loaded.
>
> If you want I can help you to port DrGeo to Pharo7.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Frozen at start up

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
HilaireFernandes wrote
> Any idea?

Can you try starting with `--no-default-preferences` and see if it's the
same?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Frozen at start up

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi Sean,
   it is the exactly the same behavior.

Cheers.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:38 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
HilaireFernandes wrote
> Any idea?

Can you try starting with `--no-default-preferences` and see if it's the
same?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Pablo Tesone.

Re: Frozen at start up

HilaireFernandes
Removing the Splash screen avoid locking the image. About deferred
action, how do you do it?

However why do I have this start up message about Pharo not been
properly claused?

The installation of the app ends with a proper save and quit.

DrGeoInstallerWorkstation>>install
     super install.
     DrGDefault beWorkstation.
     self cleanUpForRelease.
     Author fullName: 'MrCleaner'.
     Smalltalk saveAs: 'drgeo'.
     World submorphs
         select: [:m | m class == (Smalltalk at: #DrGeoWindow)]
         thenDo: [:drMorph | drMorph deleteWithoutConfirmation ].

     self cleanMySelf.
     Smalltalk fixObsoleteReferences.
     Smalltalk garbageCollect.
     Smalltalk garbageCollect.
     Smalltalk garbageCollect.

     PharoChangesCondenser condense.
     ExternalDropHandler registerHandler:
         (ExternalDropHandler
             type: nil
             extension: 'fgeo'
             action: [ :stream | DrGeo fullscreenOn: stream ]).

     Smalltalk snapshot: true andQuit: true.

What is even strange, when I run the buid in the system building it,
this message does not show up?

Any idea?

Thanks

Hilaire

écrit :
> In Pharo 7 the startup of the session runs in higher priority so it
> cannot be interrupted.
> This is done in that way to fix some problems during the
> initialization of the session (Now, I could not remember what was fixed).

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Frozen at start up

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi hilaire

Favor Smalltalk globals at: #... over Smalltalk at: #

Stef

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 3:56 PM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Removing the Splash screen avoid locking the image. About deferred action,
> how do you do it?
>
> However why do I have this start up message about Pharo not been properly
> claused?
>
> The installation of the app ends with a proper save and quit.
>
> DrGeoInstallerWorkstation>>install
>     super install.
>     DrGDefault beWorkstation.
>     self cleanUpForRelease.
>     Author fullName: 'MrCleaner'.
>     Smalltalk saveAs: 'drgeo'.
>     World submorphs
>         select: [:m | m class == (Smalltalk at: #DrGeoWindow)]
>         thenDo: [:drMorph | drMorph deleteWithoutConfirmation ].
>
>     self cleanMySelf.
>     Smalltalk fixObsoleteReferences.
>     Smalltalk garbageCollect.
>     Smalltalk garbageCollect.
>     Smalltalk garbageCollect.
>
>     PharoChangesCondenser condense.
>     ExternalDropHandler registerHandler:
>         (ExternalDropHandler
>             type: nil
>             extension: 'fgeo'
>             action: [ :stream | DrGeo fullscreenOn: stream ]).
>
>     Smalltalk snapshot: true andQuit: true.
>

> What is even strange, when I run the buid in the system building it, this
> message does not show up?
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 10/04/2018 à 21:36, [hidden email] a écrit :
>>
>> In Pharo 7 the startup of the session runs in higher priority so it cannot
>> be interrupted.
>> This is done in that way to fix some problems during the initialization of
>> the session (Now, I could not remember what was fixed).
>

> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Frozen at start up

HilaireFernandes
Hi Stef,

No clue why I have this warning message at start up?

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Frozen at start up

Stephane Ducasse-3
Not like that. Pablo proposed to help you and he is much better than me :)
I'm busy with administria.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> No clue why I have this warning message at start up?
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 11/04/2018 à 21:48, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
>>
>> Hi hilaire
>>
>> Favor Smalltalk globals at: #... over Smalltalk at: #
>>
>> Stef
>

> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: Frozen at start up

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi Hilaire,
     to use the deferred action in the startup you can add it to the SessionManager >> addDeferredStartupAction:, this will execute after all the startup actions. However, I was wrong it will not solve the problem of the splash, as the deferred action is still running in maximum priority (maybe this should be changed).

So the solution for the splash window will be to fork the process in a lower priority (with an explicit priority)

Cheers

[...]

Pablo Tesone.

Re: Frozen at start up

HilaireFernandes
Hi Pablo,

I will one or the other for the Splash screen,

The most annoying is the warning message at start up. Can your take a
look at this app in your system if it  shows up? (the splash is off in
this version, so it should not cause trouble)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/te2gel05u1y1sp9/DrGeo.app.zip?dl=0

Thanks

Hilaire

écrit :
>      to use the deferred action in the startup you can add it to the
> SessionManager >> addDeferredStartupAction:, this will execute after
> all the startup actions. However, I was wrong it will not solve the
> problem of the splash, as the deferred action is still running in
> maximum priority (maybe this should be changed).

And what about UIManager default defer: [], does it run at an acceptable
lower priority?

> So the solution for the splash window will be to fork the process in a
> lower priority (with an explicit priority)

Any idea which priority it should be?

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Frozen at start up

HilaireFernandes
It looks like deferring to the UIManager is ok for the start up. No need
to fork at background user level or something like that.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu