Fuel - FL export/import option

tinchodias
Hi!

We have released a new version of Fuel-core. According to my benchmarks with Moose models, there is an improvement of 15-20% in export time. However, import time and file size is almost the same than in current version.

There is a drawback if we adopt new version in Moose: saved files would become obsolete since the new format is incompatible.

So maybe it is better to do not adopt the new version and keep the current one until we reach a better improvement.

What do you think?

Does anyone use the FL export/import option? Does it work fine?

Bests,
Martin

Re: Fuel - FL export/import option

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Martin,

I am using it not for storing models for a long time, but when I have something to do repeatedly in a short amount of time. The reason is exactly that I expected the file format to change over time.

Ideally, in the future, it would be great to provide a loader or an adaptor for the old format to help make the transition.

But, for now, I would suggest to move to the latest Fuel version. I do not think that anyone has tones of models in the Fuel format.

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Aug 2011, at 08:20, Martin Dias wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We have released a new version of Fuel-core. According to my benchmarks with Moose models, there is an improvement of 15-20% in export time. However, import time and file size is almost the same than in current version.
>
> There is a drawback if we adopt new version in Moose: saved files would become obsolete since the new format is incompatible.
>
> So maybe it is better to do not adopt the new version and keep the current one until we reach a better improvement.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Does anyone use the FL export/import option? Does it work fine?
>
> Bests,
> Martin

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Martin,

I am using it not for storing models for a long time, but when I have something to do repeatedly in a short amount of time. The reason is exactly that I expected the file format to change over time.

Ideally, in the future, it would be great to provide a loader or an adaptor for the old format to help make the transition.

Well, at the moment what I can offer is a bit rustic compatibility solution: copy each class in current implementation (version 1.2) to a new one appending a suffix. For example FLSerializer --> FLSerializer12. It's similar with method extensions (*Fuel) scattered in the system. And save them in new 'Fuel12' category.

You can choose to download the backward compatibility packages to load old files.

But, for now, I would suggest to move to the latest Fuel version. I do not think that anyone has tones of models in the Fuel format.

ok!

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Aug 2011, at 08:20, Martin Dias wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We have released a new version of Fuel-core. According to my benchmarks with Moose models, there is an improvement of 15-20% in export time. However, import time and file size is almost the same than in current version.
>
> There is a drawback if we adopt new version in Moose: saved files would become obsolete since the new format is incompatible.
>
> So maybe it is better to do not adopt the new version and keep the current one until we reach a better improvement.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Does anyone use the FL export/import option? Does it work fine?
>
> Bests,
> Martin

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:45 AM, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Martin,

I am using it not for storing models for a long time, but when I have something to do repeatedly in a short amount of time. The reason is exactly that I expected the file format to change over time.

Ideally, in the future, it would be great to provide a loader or an adaptor for the old format to help make the transition.

Well, at the moment what I can offer is a bit rustic compatibility solution: copy each class in current implementation (version 1.2) to a new one appending a suffix. For example FLSerializer --> FLSerializer12. It's similar with method extensions (*Fuel) scattered in the system. And save them in new 'Fuel12' category.

You can choose to download the backward compatibility packages to load old files.

Note: Moose FL export/import option currently interacts with Fuel through a kind of façade which allows to do this more or less transparently.

But, for now, I would suggest to move to the latest Fuel version. I do not think that anyone has tones of models in the Fuel format.

ok!

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Aug 2011, at 08:20, Martin Dias wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We have released a new version of Fuel-core. According to my benchmarks with Moose models, there is an improvement of 15-20% in export time. However, import time and file size is almost the same than in current version.
>
> There is a drawback if we adopt new version in Moose: saved files would become obsolete since the new format is incompatible.
>
> So maybe it is better to do not adopt the new version and keep the current one until we reach a better improvement.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Does anyone use the FL export/import option? Does it work fine?
>
> Bests,
> Martin

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: Fuel - FL export/import option

Mariano Martinez Peck
Maybe we can do a script that does:
 1) materialize all your graph.
2) update Fuel.
3) serialize again.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:45 AM, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Martin,

I am using it not for storing models for a long time, but when I have something to do repeatedly in a short amount of time. The reason is exactly that I expected the file format to change over time.

Ideally, in the future, it would be great to provide a loader or an adaptor for the old format to help make the transition.

Well, at the moment what I can offer is a bit rustic compatibility solution: copy each class in current implementation (version 1.2) to a new one appending a suffix. For example FLSerializer --> FLSerializer12. It's similar with method extensions (*Fuel) scattered in the system. And save them in new 'Fuel12' category.

You can choose to download the backward compatibility packages to load old files.

Note: Moose FL export/import option currently interacts with Fuel through a kind of façade which allows to do this more or less transparently.

But, for now, I would suggest to move to the latest Fuel version. I do not think that anyone has tones of models in the Fuel format.

ok!

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Aug 2011, at 08:20, Martin Dias wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We have released a new version of Fuel-core. According to my benchmarks with Moose models, there is an improvement of 15-20% in export time. However, import time and file size is almost the same than in current version.
>
> There is a drawback if we adopt new version in Moose: saved files would become obsolete since the new format is incompatible.
>
> So maybe it is better to do not adopt the new version and keep the current one until we reach a better improvement.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Does anyone use the FL export/import option? Does it work fine?
>
> Bests,
> Martin

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Fuel - FL export/import option

Tudor Girba-2

As I said, at this moment, upgrading is not a problem because we do not have many models in this format.

But, for the future, if we want to rely on Fuel as the main storage facility, we need to ensure some smooth upgrade path.

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Aug 2011, at 08:45, Martin Dias wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I am using it not for storing models for a long time, but when I have something to do repeatedly in a short amount of time. The reason is exactly that I expected the file format to change over time.
>
> Ideally, in the future, it would be great to provide a loader or an adaptor for the old format to help make the transition.
>

> Well, at the moment what I can offer is a bit rustic compatibility solution: copy each class in current implementation (version 1.2) to a new one appending a suffix. For example FLSerializer --> FLSerializer12. It's similar with method extensions (*Fuel) scattered in the system. And save them in new 'Fuel12' category.
>
> You can choose to download the backward compatibility packages to load old files.
>

> But, for now, I would suggest to move to the latest Fuel version. I do not think that anyone has tones of models in the Fuel format.
>
> ok!
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 19 Aug 2011, at 08:20, Martin Dias wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > We have released a new version of Fuel-core. According to my benchmarks with Moose models, there is an improvement of 15-20% in export time. However, import time and file size is almost the same than in current version.
> >
> > There is a drawback if we adopt new version in Moose: saved files would become obsolete since the new format is incompatible.
> >
> > So maybe it is better to do not adopt the new version and keep the current one until we reach a better improvement.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Does anyone use the FL export/import option? Does it work fine?
> >
> > Bests,
> > Martin

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Don't give to get. Just give."

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."