Fuel

jb

Fuel

jb
Hi,

I tried to use the VW port of Fuel by loading Fuel-All from Cincom public rep. But all examples in FuelExamples force various exceptions.Is there anybody who used Fuel successfully?

Joh.

________________________________

Staatlich anerkannte private Fachhochschule
NORDAKADEMIE
Gemeinnützige Aktiengesellschaft
Köllner Chaussee 11
25337 Elmshorn

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr. Georg Plate (Vorsitzender), Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Meier (stellv. Vorstand)

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. h.c. Hans-Heinrich Bruns

Sitz:
Elmshorn, Amtsgericht Pinneberg, HRB 1682

Re: Fuel

Mariano Martinez Peck

2014-01-26 Johannes Brauer <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I tried to use the VW port of Fuel by loading Fuel-All from Cincom public rep. But all examples in FuelExamples force various exceptions.Is there anybody who used Fuel successfully?

Hi Johannes,

The port to VW was done by Felix Madrid (we simply helped him with answers to questions and some refactorings). So it is likely he could answer you. As far as I remember the port he did is already old these days. In fact, that version of Fuel was somehow hard to port. Newer versions (due to some refactors) should be much easier to port.

Do the tests work?

Anyway, hope Felix can answer.

Best,

Joh.

________________________________

Staatlich anerkannte private Fachhochschule
NORDAKADEMIE
Gemeinnützige Aktiengesellschaft
Köllner Chaussee 11
25337 Elmshorn

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr. Georg Plate (Vorsitzender), Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Meier (stellv. Vorstand)

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. h.c. Hans-Heinrich Bruns

Sitz:
Elmshorn, Amtsgericht Pinneberg, HRB 1682

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Fuel

Karsten Kusche
Hi Johannes,

without knowing much about Fuel, wouldn’t it be easier to just use BOSS on VisualWorks? Or are there differences that disqualify BOSS?

Kind Regards
Karsten

--
Karsten Kusche - Dipl. Inf. (FH) - [hidden email]
Georg Heeg eK - Köthen

[...]

jb

Re: Fuel

jb
Hi Karsten,

I do use BOSS. But I want to port a „BOSSed“ object graph from VW to Pharo. This would be very easy, if I could use Fuel in VW or BOSS in Pharo.

Johannes

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Johannes Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Karsten,

I do use BOSS. But I want to port a „BOSSed“ object graph from VW to Pharo. This would be very easy, if I could use Fuel in VW or BOSS in Pharo.

Well, that's a whole different story ;)  Read the pasted answer I wrote some weeks ago.
Maybe SIXX is the one you need?

Stephan, as you can imagine, I am one of them. I have replied this a few times already, but I will answer again.
Fuel was developed from scratch with 2 main goals: 1) speed 2) good design. Portability was not our main goal, which is at the same time  the most important goal in other serializers.
That being said, having a good design allowed us to make some ports. For example, Fuel currently works in all versions from Pharo 1.1 to Pharo 3.0 and it works in Squeak. I was also ported to VW and it was kind of working (I think the port was never finished). It was also ported to Newspeak.
So....even if it was not our goal, I think it should NOT be difficult to make Fuel in GemStone. The only thing we would need is the special serialization for certain low level classes like SmallDouble and things like that.

But...all that paragraph is about making Fuel to work in GemStone. And yes, I think it is possible and should not take much. But, a completely different story is to not only make Fuel work in Pharo and GemStone but also be able to serialize in one place and materialize in another one. That requires including lot of information (metadata) in the serialization, try to find portable serialziation/representation of objects, etc etc etc.  And this one yes, I think it is more complicated and more complicated to implement.

jb

Re: Fuel

jb
thanks for the hint, I will try SIXX

Johannes
Am 30.01.2014 um 15:50 schrieb Karsten Kusche <[hidden email]>:

good point

[...]

Félix Madrid

Hi Johannes,

I 've just be chance seen this thread and I can say that the port of Fuel for VW is unfinished.

However the main functionality of Fuel was ported and the basic Tests (for Kernel Classes) run green. Some advanced stuff like CompiledMethods are not ready.

According to the Benchmarks (and a comparison versus BOSS) the Performance is not bad. Although no optimization was done.

he future of this Port is to follow Mariano's recommendation and to move to a newer Version of Fuel.

Best regards,

--
Felix Madrid

+49 (0213) 2985 1049
+49 (0176) 70806624
Kantstr. 29
40667 Meerbusch
Nordrhein-Westfalen
Deutschland

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Johannes Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

jb

misplaced tab icon in system browser with RBTabbedToolsets

jb

having RBTabbedToolsets loaded form Parcel Manager in VW 8.0 the System Browser shows a misplaced tab (s. fig.) as long as there is only one view.

Any ideas, what I could do?

Johannes

Staatlich anerkannte private Fachhochschule
NORDAKADEMIE
Gemeinnützige Aktiengesellschaft
Köllner Chaussee 11
25337 Elmshorn

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr. Georg Plate (Vorsitzender), Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Meier (stellv. Vorstand)

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. h.c. Hans-Heinrich Bruns

Sitz:
Elmshorn, Amtsgericht Pinneberg, HRB 1682

Re: misplaced tab icon in system browser with RBTabbedToolsets

giorgiof
Hi,

BTW, do you have the single tab icon displaying the correct name of the selected method (as it was hop to 7.10.1) or just the name of the method opened when you added a new view to the browser?Inline image 1. In Windows 7 it seems to me that this behaviour is broken, but probably is just me, because I signalled with no answer. You can see what I means on the attached image

thanks

Hi,

jb

Re: misplaced tab icon in system browser with RBTabbedToolsets

jb
no, I see only (nothing selected) (VW 8.0, OS X 10.10.1 and 10.9.5)

Joh.
Am 10.12.2014 um 13:14 schrieb giorgio ferraris <[hidden email]>:

Hi,

BTW, do you have the single tab icon displaying the correct name of the selected method (as it was hop to 7.10.1) or just the name of the method opened when you added a new view to the browser?<Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 12.17.32.jpg>. In Windows 7 it seems to me that this behaviour is broken, but probably is just me, because I signalled with no answer. You can see what I means on the attached image

thanks

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Johannes Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

having RBTabbedToolsets loaded form Parcel Manager in VW 8.0 the System Browser shows a misplaced tab (s. fig.) as long as there is only one view.

<tab.png>

Any ideas, what I could do?

Johannes

[...]

Randy Coulman
I believe that RBTabbedToolsets has not been updated for 8.0.  When I had it loaded (OS/X), I noticed the same display problem as you, and I also noticed that there is a variable that now shows up as undeclared, likely due to a change in a base class somewhere.

I haven't had any time to dig deeper into what might be required to bring this package up to date.  Hopefully, someone from Cincom can take a look and see what would be needed.

Or perhaps there's a newer version in the public repository that addresses this issue - I haven't looked for that.

Randy

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 1:03 AM, Johannes Brauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

having RBTabbedToolsets loaded form Parcel Manager in VW 8.0 the System Browser shows a misplaced tab (s. fig.) as long as there is only one view.

Any ideas, what I could do?

Johannes

Staatlich anerkannte private Fachhochschule
NORDAKADEMIE
Gemeinnützige Aktiengesellschaft
Köllner Chaussee 11
25337 Elmshorn

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr. Georg Plate (Vorsitzender), Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Meier (stellv. Vorstand)

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. h.c. Hans-Heinrich Bruns

Sitz:
Elmshorn, Amtsgericht Pinneberg, HRB 1682

Randy Coulman
Email: [hidden email]
Home: http://randycoulman.com
Twitter: @randycoulman      GitHub: randycoulman

jb

Am 10.12.2014 um 18:15 schrieb Randy Coulman <[hidden email]>:

I believe that RBTabbedToolsets has not been updated for 8.0.  When I had it loaded (OS/X), I noticed the same display problem as you, and I also noticed that there is a variable that now shows up as undeclared, likely due to a change in a base class somewhere.

I haven't had any time to dig deeper into what might be required to bring this package up to date.  Hopefully, someone from Cincom can take a look and see what would be needed.

Or perhaps there's a newer version in the public repository that addresses this issue - I haven't looked for that.
no there isn’t

Its a pity, but the RBTabbedToolsets aren’t usable until …?

Johannes