Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

Some good news :)
INRIA-lille nord Europe ranked Pharo among the top 3 projects that will receive support for a full time confirmed engineer.
We will know if the national level or the lab will carry the cost by mid april, but for now the position is allocated to Pharo.

This is not the official job announce but just to give some hints and that you can prepare yourself to
        - move to France (one hour from paris, 1h30 from London, 35 min from Brussels)
        - try a lot of good beers (belgium :)
        - eat french food
        - have fun with us - yes we are even fun - ok with geeky humor :)
        - code all the day in Smalltalk and a bit of C

Apparently from what the DHR services told me, the salary will depend on years of expertise and diplomas but
we can think that 2700 Euros (before final taxes) should be a good working number -- In France the employer pays already taxes so the salary is not brutto but already includes deduction. The social insurance is included and you may want to pay an extra like me (100 Euros) to have a better health insurance. Lille is an active city but not expensive. To give an idea Marcus got a nice sunny close to everything flat with wooden floor for 650 Euros.

The job will to continue making Pharo (core) better
        - better tools
        - better network support
        - helping with the new compiler
        - helping with alien and others
        - cleaning/shrinking

Duration: 30 months
Starting date: October 2010
Location: Lille (no remote job possible)

Do not hesitate to contact us.

Stef/Marcus

------------------------
Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
[hidden email]
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/
**NEW ***Tel 00 33 (0)3 20 43 42 56  - Fax 33 3 59 57 78 50

40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne,
Bât.A, Park Plaza, Villeneuve d'Ascq,  FR-59650, France.

 "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
 do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
 today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Re: Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Andrey Larionov
Oh. Why i come in magic world of Smalltalk too late (have no necessary
experience at the moment). It's job of my dream in very beautiful
place with great colleagues  :)
Good luck with candidate searching.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 23:36, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Some good news :)
> INRIA-lille nord Europe ranked Pharo among the top 3 projects that will receive support for a full time confirmed engineer.
> We will know if the national level or the lab will carry the cost by mid april, but for now the position is allocated to Pharo.
>
> This is not the official job announce but just to give some hints and that you can prepare yourself to
>        - move to France (one hour from paris, 1h30 from London, 35 min from Brussels)
>        - try a lot of good beers (belgium :)
>        - eat french food
>        - have fun with us - yes we are even fun - ok with geeky humor :)
>        - code all the day in Smalltalk and a bit of C
>
> Apparently from what the DHR services told me, the salary will depend on years of expertise and diplomas but
> we can think that 2700 Euros (before final taxes) should be a good working number -- In France the employer pays already taxes so the salary is not brutto but already includes deduction. The social insurance is included and you may want to pay an extra like me (100 Euros) to have a better health insurance. Lille is an active city but not expensive. To give an idea Marcus got a nice sunny close to everything flat with wooden floor for 650 Euros.
>
> The job will to continue making Pharo (core) better
>        - better tools
>        - better network support
>        - helping with the new compiler
>        - helping with alien and others
>        - cleaning/shrinking
>
> Duration: 30 months
> Starting date: October 2010
> Location: Lille (no remote job possible)
>
> Do not hesitate to contact us.
>
> Stef/Marcus
>

> ------------------------
> Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
> INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
> [hidden email]
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/
> **NEW ***Tel 00 33 (0)3 20 43 42 56  - Fax 33 3 59 57 78 50
>
> 40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne,
> Bât.A, Park Plaza, Villeneuve d'Ascq,  FR-59650, France.
>
>  "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
>  do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
>  today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Re: Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Marcus Denker-4
On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is not the official job announce but just to give some hints and that you can prepare yourself to
>        - move to France (one hour from paris, 1h30 from London, 35 min from Brussels)
>        - try a lot of good beers (belgium :)

e.g. this one is just 40Km away:

  http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.htm

Even the local beer is good:

  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/260/1308/

> we can think that 2700 Euros (before final taxes) should be a good working number

I think it should be explained that this is the french version of
"before taxes", not the same as,
for example, german brutto. This means, health insurance, pension and
all social welfare is
already deducted. So if we take taxes into account (single person, no
kids), this means you get
2400 EUR/Month.

To get 2400 EUR/Month in germany, you need a "before
tax/health/social/unemployment" salary
of 4.200 EUR/Month (or 50.000 EUR for the year).

So it's not that bad. And Lille is cheap. As a typical european city,
you don't need a car,
and for the ticket for public transport, INRIA pays half. This means
my cost of transport
is just 18.50EUR a month, plus Train for traveling to Paris or London
on the weekend...

The health insurance system is rated as one of the best public ones in
the world by the
WHO, the local hospital is the best in the whole country. And health insurance
is *not* connected to employment. One can *never* lose health insurance.
Whatever happens.

      Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Igor Stasenko
I'd be willing to apply. But i'm not sure if i fit for it.

On 9 March 2010 17:15, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is not the official job announce but just to give some hints and that you can prepare yourself to
>>        - move to France (one hour from paris, 1h30 from London, 35 min from Brussels)
>>        - try a lot of good beers (belgium :)
>
> e.g. this one is just 40Km away:
>
>  http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.htm
>
> Even the local beer is good:
>
>  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/260/1308/
>
>> we can think that 2700 Euros (before final taxes) should be a good working number
>
> I think it should be explained that this is the french version of
> "before taxes", not the same as,
> for example, german brutto. This means, health insurance, pension and
> all social welfare is
> already deducted. So if we take taxes into account (single person, no
> kids), this means you get
> 2400 EUR/Month.
>
> To get 2400 EUR/Month in germany, you need a "before
> tax/health/social/unemployment" salary
> of 4.200 EUR/Month (or 50.000 EUR for the year).
>
> So it's not that bad. And Lille is cheap. As a typical european city,
> you don't need a car,
> and for the ticket for public transport, INRIA pays half. This means
> my cost of transport
> is just 18.50EUR a month, plus Train for traveling to Paris or London
> on the weekend...
>
> The health insurance system is rated as one of the best public ones in
> the world by the
> WHO, the local hospital is the best in the whole country. And health insurance
> is *not* connected to employment. One can *never* lose health insurance.
> Whatever happens.
>
>      Marcus
>
> --
> Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
> http://www.marcusdenker.de

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 08-03-2010 a las 21:36 +0100, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
> Hi guys
>
> Some good news :)

Very good indeed.

Some questions?

- Is french required (A1 DELF or something like that) or English is
enough?
- Is just for single persons or married ones with kids are allowed?
- Do you have some profile you would prefer for the position?
-- Visible projects in Smalltalk
-- Long time of contributing to Pharo
- What kind of Visa is required?
- Is some specific technical hability needed (networking experience, vm
hacking experience)

Cheers

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Stéphane Ducasse
> Some questions?
>
> - Is french required (A1 DELF or something like that) or English is
> enough?

English is enough (to your own risk :).
Marcus does not speak french, mariano neither.

> - Is just for single persons or married ones with kids are allowed?
We pay only the person working but  you can have family with you. :)
I imagine that as soon as you get married your wife and kids can get visa
without problems (at least from countries without security problems).

> - Do you have some profile you would prefer for the position?
> -- Visible projects in Smalltalk
> -- Long time of contributing to Pharo

        Technical achievement in general.
        Finishing the last 2% of your great achievement.
        We are not pharo specific, even smart squeakers can apply :)

> - What kind of Visa is required?
        I'm not sure that you have to do anything since our administration should
        get the visa for you. The applicants should get a working permit visa.

> - Is some specific technical hability needed (networking experience, vm
> hacking experience)

        This would be a plus but not necessarily.
        Wanting to build a better world, good communication, friendly, open-minded, efficient, working fast,
        **understanding** what we are building are more important!
        At the end trust and commitment too :)

Re: Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Thanks!
This is also a dream for us because in the life of a researcher having an engineer is rare.

Stef

On Mar 9, 2010, at 7:04 AM, Andrey Larionov wrote:

> Oh. Why i come in magic world of Smalltalk too late (have no necessary
> experience at the moment). It's job of my dream in very beautiful
> place with great colleagues  :)
> Good luck with candidate searching.
>
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 23:36, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> Some good news :)
>> INRIA-lille nord Europe ranked Pharo among the top 3 projects that will receive support for a full time confirmed engineer.
>> We will know if the national level or the lab will carry the cost by mid april, but for now the position is allocated to Pharo.
>>
>> This is not the official job announce but just to give some hints and that you can prepare yourself to
>>        - move to France (one hour from paris, 1h30 from London, 35 min from Brussels)
>>        - try a lot of good beers (belgium :)
>>        - eat french food
>>        - have fun with us - yes we are even fun - ok with geeky humor :)
>>        - code all the day in Smalltalk and a bit of C
>>
>> Apparently from what the DHR services told me, the salary will depend on years of expertise and diplomas but
>> we can think that 2700 Euros (before final taxes) should be a good working number -- In France the employer pays already taxes so the salary is not brutto but already includes deduction. The social insurance is included and you may want to pay an extra like me (100 Euros) to have a better health insurance. Lille is an active city but not expensive. To give an idea Marcus got a nice sunny close to everything flat with wooden floor for 650 Euros.
>>
>> The job will to continue making Pharo (core) better
>>        - better tools
>>        - better network support
>>        - helping with the new compiler
>>        - helping with alien and others
>>        - cleaning/shrinking
>>
>> Duration: 30 months
>> Starting date: October 2010
>> Location: Lille (no remote job possible)
>>
>> Do not hesitate to contact us.
>>
>> Stef/Marcus
>>

>> ------------------------
>> Dr. Stéphane Ducasse -- Directeur de Recherche (Senior Researcher)
>> INRIA - USTL - CNRS UMR 8022
>> [hidden email]
>> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr
>> http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/
>> **NEW ***Tel 00 33 (0)3 20 43 42 56  - Fax 33 3 59 57 78 50
>>
>> 40, avenue Halley, Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne,
>> Bât.A, Park Plaza, Villeneuve d'Ascq,  FR-59650, France.
>>
>>  "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
>>  do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
>>  today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Re: Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

> I'd be willing to apply. But i'm not sure if i fit for it.

Why?
You do not drink beers?
Me neither but I survive eating black chocolate.

Stef

On 9 March 2010 23:19, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'd be willing to apply. But i'm not sure if i fit for it.
>
> Why?
> You do not drink beers?
Nope :)
> Me neither but I survive eating black chocolate.

So , count me in :)

> Stef
>
>> On 9 March 2010 17:15, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> e.g. this one is just 40Km away:
>>>
>>>  http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.htm
>>>
>>> Even the local beer is good:
>>>
>>>  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/260/1308/

>>> I think it should be explained that this is the french version of
>>> "before taxes", not the same as,
>>> for example, german brutto. This means, health insurance, pension and
>>> all social welfare is
>>> already deducted. So if we take taxes into account (single person, no
>>> kids), this means you get
>>> 2400 EUR/Month.
>>>
>>> To get 2400 EUR/Month in germany, you need a "before
>>> tax/health/social/unemployment" salary
>>> of 4.200 EUR/Month (or 50.000 EUR for the year).
>>>
>>> So it's not that bad. And Lille is cheap. As a typical european city,
>>> you don't need a car,
>>> and for the ticket for public transport, INRIA pays half. This means
>>> my cost of transport
>>> is just 18.50EUR a month, plus Train for traveling to Paris or London
>>> on the weekend...
>>>
>>> The health insurance system is rated as one of the best public ones in
>>> the world by the
>>> WHO, the local hospital is the best in the whole country. And health insurance
>>> is *not* connected to employment. One can *never* lose health insurance.
>>> Whatever happens.
>>>
>>>      Marcus
>>>
>>> --
>>> Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
>>> http://www.marcusdenker.de

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Something really important that I forgot to say.
Thanks to all of you that are making Pharo cool.
The key point is that of course we wrote a request document (10 pages), went to meetings to understand what they wanted, rewrote the document,
motivated it,...
But at the end the fact that INRIA supports pharo is not because of us but because of you and the impact they see.
So all the submissions, users, mailing-list traffic... counts.
So just replying to emails mentioning that you use pharo to
        do research
        teach
        develop applications
was already a good action :)

Thanks since I forget to mention it.

Re: Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Stéphane Ducasse
cooooooooooool
do you have a link for the web page of success stories :)

Stef

On Mar 10, 2010, at 12:06 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

> BTW, at the University of Buenos Aires we are going to use Pharo this year (and the next ones). Four years ago we were using Squeak, then we went to VisualWorks but now Pharo is mature enough to use it as development environment so, we are going back to an open source implementation.
>
> Hernan.
>
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 4:47 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Something really important that I forgot to say.
> Thanks to all of you that are making Pharo cool.
> The key point is that of course we wrote a request document (10 pages), went to meetings to understand what they wanted, rewrote the document,
> motivated it,...
> But at the end the fact that INRIA supports pharo is not because of us but because of you and the impact they see.
> So all the submissions, users, mailing-list traffic... counts.
> So just replying to emails mentioning that you use pharo to
>        do research
>        teach
>        develop applications
> was already a good action :)
>
> Thanks since I forget to mention it.
>
> Stef

Re: Full time engineer position for Pharo looking for cool engineer :)

Geert Claes
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
        - move to France (one hour from paris, 1h30 from London, 35 min from Brussels)
        - try a lot of good beers (belgium :)
        - eat french food
        - have fun with us - yes we are even fun - ok with geeky humor :)
        - code all the day in Smalltalk and a bit of C

The job will to continue making Pharo (core) better
        - better tools
        - better network support
        - helping with the new compiler
        - helping with alien and others
        - cleaning/shrinking

Duration: 30 months
Starting date: October 2010
Location: Lille (no remote job possible)
Even though you did mention that this was not the "official" job announcement, the only thing that was actually missing here were the postition's requirements .... I can only asume that there are plenty of candidates for "moules frites" with a "Leffe Blonde" in "magnifique" Lille :)