Fun with Animations

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

I just updated my Animations framework to support composite animations:

Here are some examples using 1000 morphs:

...gets kind of slow with 10000 morphs:

Use Squeak 5.1 or 6.0alpha (trunk). Works in 4.5, 4.6, and 5.0, too:

Best,
Marcel

Re: Fun with Animations

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 02:22:41PM +0100, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> Hi, there.
>
> I just updated my Animations framework to support composite animations:
> https://github.com/hpi-swa/animations [https://github.com/hpi-swa/animations]
>
> Here are some examples using 1000 morphs:
> https://giphy.com/gifs/l2QDRTpwNsQ2NDSY8 [https://giphy.com/gifs/l2QDRTpwNsQ2NDSY8]
> https://giphy.com/gifs/xUOxf2c1ULKebDK6Ag [https://giphy.com/gifs/xUOxf2c1ULKebDK6Ag]
>
> ...gets kind of slow with 10000 morphs:
> https://giphy.com/gifs/3ohs7ONYSvpugDDRF6 [https://giphy.com/gifs/3ohs7ONYSvpugDDRF6]
>
> Use Squeak 5.1 or 6.0alpha (trunk). Works in 4.5, 4.6, and 5.0, too:
> https://travis-ci.org/hpi-swa/animations [https://travis-ci.org/hpi-swa/animations]
>
> Best,
> Marcel

That looks quite good. I remember doing some work with Graphviz and Connectors
maybe about 10-15 years ago to visualize a manufacturing product flow, and the
morphic displays would start bogging down as the model got larger. From your gifs,
I expect that much larger graphic visualizations are now feasible.

Dave

Re: Fun with Animations

marcel.taeumel
Hi, Dave. :)

You can do a lot of stuff with plain morphs and stepping, too. In the Animations framework, the focus was on a more convenient programming interface that decouples system load and animation time. So, even if your Squeak image has plenty of things to do, the animation X will finish after, for example, 250 ms. Yet, you might only see the first and the last update then. :D In some way, the Animations framework is kind of Morphic stepping but it offers each participant a synchronized progression of time, which can then be used to update or interpolate the animation progress. Such things are difficult with Morphic stepping because the "call me again in 20 ms" via #stepTime treats time different for each morph.

Best,
Marcel

Am 18.11.2017 22:34:43 schrieb David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>:

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 02:22:41PM +0100, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi, there.
>
> I just updated my Animations framework to support composite animations:
> https://github.com/hpi-swa/animations [https://github.com/hpi-swa/animations]
>
> Here are some examples using 1000 morphs:
> https://giphy.com/gifs/l2QDRTpwNsQ2NDSY8 [https://giphy.com/gifs/l2QDRTpwNsQ2NDSY8]
> https://giphy.com/gifs/xUOxf2c1ULKebDK6Ag [https://giphy.com/gifs/xUOxf2c1ULKebDK6Ag]
>
> ...gets kind of slow with 10000 morphs:
> https://giphy.com/gifs/3ohs7ONYSvpugDDRF6 [https://giphy.com/gifs/3ohs7ONYSvpugDDRF6]
>
> Use Squeak 5.1 or 6.0alpha (trunk). Works in 4.5, 4.6, and 5.0, too:
> https://travis-ci.org/hpi-swa/animations [https://travis-ci.org/hpi-swa/animations]
>
> Best,
> Marcel

That looks quite good. I remember doing some work with Graphviz and Connectors
maybe about 10-15 years ago to visualize a manufacturing product flow, and the
morphic displays would start bogging down as the model got larger. From your gifs,
I expect that much larger graphic visualizations are now feasible.

Dave

Re: Fun with Animations

Stéphane Rollandin

> You can do a lot of stuff with plain morphs and stepping, too. In the
> Animations framework, the focus was on a more convenient programming
> interface that decouples system load and animation time. So, even if
> your Squeak image has plenty of things to do, the animation X will
> finish after, for example, 250 ms. Yet, you might only see the first and
> the last update then. :D In some way, the Animations framework is kind
> of Morphic stepping but it offers each participant a synchronized
> progression of time, which can then be used to update or interpolate the
> animation progress. Such things are difficult with Morphic stepping
> because the "call me again in 20 ms" via #stepTime treats time different
> for each morph.

This is the very same idea I had for my Space Invaders game. Very
efficient for smooth motion, indeed.

(Saucers! http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/saucers.htm)

Re: Fun with Animations

LawsonEnglish
The Saucers! webpage specifically says “for Windows.” Why are you distributing a squeak game that is windows-only?

-Brian Kernighan

> On Nov 19, 2017, at 02:43, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> You can do a lot of stuff with plain morphs and stepping, too. In the Animations framework, the focus was on a more convenient programming interface that decouples system load and animation time. So, even if your Squeak image has plenty of things to do, the animation X will finish after, for example, 250 ms. Yet, you might only see the first and the last update then. :D In some way, the Animations framework is kind of Morphic stepping but it offers each participant a synchronized progression of time, which can then be used to update or interpolate the animation progress. Such things are difficult with Morphic stepping because the "call me again in 20 ms" via #stepTime treats time different for each morph.
>
> This is the very same idea I had for my Space Invaders game. Very efficient for smooth motion, indeed.
>
> (Saucers! http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/saucers.htm)
>
> Stef

cbc

Re: Fun with Animations

cbc
I think what is meant is that the executable is Windows only.  I know if I would release something the executable would be windows only (being the only platform I have access too).

The 2 links below that - the .sar files - are Squeak based and should load into any relatively recent Squeak and just run.

-cbc

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:59 AM, LEnglish <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Saucers! webpage specifically says “for Windows.” Why are you distributing a squeak game that is windows-only?

-Brian Kernighan

> On Nov 19, 2017, at 02:43, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> You can do a lot of stuff with plain morphs and stepping, too. In the Animations framework, the focus was on a more convenient programming interface that decouples system load and animation time. So, even if your Squeak image has plenty of things to do, the animation X will finish after, for example, 250 ms. Yet, you might only see the first and the last update then. :D In some way, the Animations framework is kind of Morphic stepping but it offers each participant a synchronized progression of time, which can then be used to update or interpolate the animation progress. Such things are difficult with Morphic stepping because the "call me again in 20 ms" via #stepTime treats time different for each morph.
>
> This is the very same idea I had for my Space Invaders game. Very efficient for smooth motion, indeed.
>
> (Saucers! http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/saucers.htm)
>
> Stef

Re: Fun with Animations

Stéphane Rollandin
> I think what is meant is that the executable is Windows only.  I know if
> I would release something the executable would be windows only (being
> the only platform I have access too).
>
> The 2 links below that - the .sar files - are Squeak based and should
> load into any relatively recent Squeak and just run.

Exactly :)

Stef