Fun with unicode (on porting Seaside3)

Holger Freyther
Hi Paolo,

I have some fun with WAEncoder of Seaside3 (I mostly care/think of
Cypress and Monticello).

  (Character codePoint: 128) asString

"Character codePoint: 128" create a UnicodeCharacter and then >>#asString
will call String class>>#with: which will create an exception. So I wonder
what I should do about this? Should I change the code to go to 127 instead
of 255?

cheers
        holger

Re: Fun with unicode (on porting Seaside3)

Paolo Bonzini-2
Il 10/08/2013 11:06, Holger Hans Peter Freyther ha scritto:

> I have some fun with WAEncoder of Seaside3 (I mostly care/think of
> Cypress and Monticello).
>

>   (Character codePoint: 128) asString
>

> "Character codePoint: 128" create a UnicodeCharacter and then >>#asString
> will call String class>>#with: which will create an exception. So I wonder
> what I should do about this? Should I change the code to go to 127 instead
> of 255?

If you load the Iconv package, the #asString method will convert the
UnicodeCharacter to a String encoded in the default encoding (usually
UTF-8).

But when I ported Seaside 3.0 (an old version is in packages/seaside) I
found it was much faster to use a chain of "if"s to do the encoding.  I
had sent the patch, but apparently it wasn't applied.  Perhaps you could
be luckier?

Paolo

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 03:24:24PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> If you load the Iconv package, the #asString method will convert the
> UnicodeCharacter to a String encoded in the default encoding (usually
> UTF-8).
>
> But when I ported Seaside 3.0 (an old version is in packages/seaside) I
> found it was much faster to use a chain of "if"s to do the encoding.  I
> had sent the patch, but apparently it wasn't applied.  Perhaps you could
> be luckier?

Hi,

where is your port (which branch)? I mostly look at it from a process
point of view. I want to get to the point where we can track packages
in 'real-time'.

Il 10/08/2013 16:23, Holger Hans Peter Freyther ha scritto:
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 03:24:24PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>
>> If you load the Iconv package, the #asString method will convert the
>> UnicodeCharacter to a String encoded in the default encoding (usually
>> UTF-8).

Better: what you want here is to look at bytes, not characters, so just
use "Character value: foo" instead of #codePoint:.

>> But when I ported Seaside 3.0 (an old version is in packages/seaside) I
>> found it was much faster to use a chain of "if"s to do the encoding.  I
>> had sent the patch, but apparently it wasn't applied.  Perhaps you could
>> be luckier?
>
> where is your port (which branch)? I mostly look at it from a process
> point of view. I want to get to the point where we can track packages
> in 'real-time'.

It is in the master branch.

Paolo

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 09:48:42AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> It is in the master branch.

Am I blind? I know we have a Seaside 2.X in our tree but I don't
see 3.0 in it? Could you have a look?

Il 14/12/2013 17:30, Holger Hans Peter Freyther ha scritto:

>> > It is in the master branch.
> Am I blind? I know we have a Seaside 2.X in our tree but I don't
> see 3.0 in it? Could you have a look?

It's actually a late beta of 3.0, before it was called 3.0.

Paolo

Re: Fun with unicode (on porting Seaside3)

baulamon
 Hello,