Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

12

Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

horrido
From Lorenzo Schiavina:

There's a minor issue with WordPress: embedded slideshows steal the keyboard focus so that you can't use PageUp and PageDown keys to navigate the webpage. I've reported it to WordPress and they're working on it.

I'm still looking for more blog post submissions. Let's keep this blog alive!

R: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

Lorenzo

Hi Rich,

thank you very much for your excellent work!

Do you have a reference to my previous paper?

Grazie.

Ciao

There's a minor issue with WordPress: embedded slideshows steal the keyboard focus so that you can't use PageUp and PageDown keys to navigate the webpage. I've reported it to WordPress and they're working on it.

I'm still looking for more blog post submissions. Let's keep this blog alive!

Re: R: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

horrido
Sorry, to what are you referring?

Lorenzo wrote

> Hi Rich,
>

> thank you very much for your excellent work!
>

> Do you have a reference to my previous paper?
>

> Grazie.
>

> Ciao

R: R: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

Lorenzo
Some years ago I sent you a paper that you published; I have lost the original and I hoped you had it.

If not, no problem.

Lorenzo

> thank you very much for your excellent work!
>

> Do you have a reference to my previous paper?
>

> Grazie.
>

> Ciao

Re: R: R: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

horrido
Do you mean this one?
https://smalltalkrenaissance.wordpress.com/2015/01/06/smalltalk-in-business-italian-style/

Lorenzo wrote
> Some years ago I sent you a paper that you published; I have lost the
> original and I hoped you had it.
>
> If not, no problem.
>
> Lorenzo

Serge Stinckwic
​h​

Int. Research Unit
 on Modelling/Simulation of Complex Systems (UMMISCO)
​Sorbonne University
 (SU)
French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (IRD)​
​niversity of Yaoundé I​, Cameroon
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
https://twitter.com/SergeStinckwich

Re: R: R: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

NorbertHartl

Am 04.02.2020 um 18:47 schrieb Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>:

I remind guys that you are on the Pharo-users mailing list, can we keep the conversation about Pharo.

I was about to write that. Thanks, Serge

Norbert
Thank you.

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 6:38 PM Lorenzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Some years ago I sent you a paper that you published; I have lost the original and I hoped you had it.

If not, no problem.

Lorenzo

> thank you very much for your excellent work!
>

> Do you have a reference to my previous paper?
>

> Grazie.
>

> Ciao

R: R: R: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

Lorenzo
Just that!

Thank you very much.

Lorenzo

> Some years ago I sent you a paper that you published; I have lost the
> original and I hoped you had it.
>
> If not, no problem.
>
> Lorenzo

Excuse me, but I do not understand what are you meaning; can you explain to me?

> thank you very much for your excellent work!
>

> Do you have a reference to my previous paper?
>

> Grazie.
>

> Ciao

Serge Stinckwic

Int. Research Unit

 on Modelling/Simulation of Complex Systems (UMMISCO)

Sorbonne University

 (SU)

French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (IRD)

niversity of Yaoundé I, Cameroon

"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
https://twitter.com/SergeStinckwich

Re: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

NorbertHartl
This is a mailing list for people that want to talk about pharo, seeking help for pharo or anything pharo related. What you are talking about is not pharo related and that's why I ask you to keep that off list if possible.

Norbert

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

--
Serge Stinckwic

Int. Research Unit
 on Modelling/Simulation of Complex Systems (UMMISCO)
Sorbonne University
 (SU)
French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (IRD)
niversity of Yaoundé I, Cameroon
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
https://twitter.com/SergeStinckwich

R: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

Lorenzo

I am sorry; I was not awer of this kind of problem.

Do you think that an application in Smalltalk is not interesting for Pharo users even if it has been developped in Pharo?

Lorenzo

Am 05.02.2020 um 10:53 schrieb Lorenzo <[hidden email]>:

I am sorry; I was not awer of this kind of problem.
Do you think that an application in Smalltalk is not interesting for Pharo users even if it has been developped in Pharo?

which application? I just read about things you've lost and wordpress problems regarding a blog.

Norbert

Lorenzo

<a class="x-apple-mail-see-more-from" href="x-redundant-cluster-toggle://0" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;">Mehr anzeigen von Norbert Hartl

<a class="x-apple-mail-see-more-from" href="x-redundant-cluster-toggle://1" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;">Mehr anzeigen von Norbert Hartl

Int. Research Unit
 on Modelling/Simulation of Complex Systems (UMMISCO)
Sorbonne University
 (SU)
French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (IRD)
niversity of Yaoundé I

<a class="x-apple-mail-see-more-from" href="x-redundant-cluster-toggle://2" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;">Mehr anzeigen von Norbert Hartl

"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
https://twitter.com/SergeStinckwich

Re: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

Peter Kenny

Norbert

Is that really all you can see? If you trace back this thread, it began with a post (less than 24 hours ago) by Richard Kenneth Eng, drawing attention to a blog post by Lorenzo, whose title is also the subject of the thread:

https://smalltalk.tech.blog/2020/02/04/fuzzy-thinking-in-smalltalk/

Everything since then has been talking about that or about finding a link to an earlier post by Lorenzo.

I found the post interesting; my reaction is to wish there were more details. It is not Pharo, but is a Smalltalk application. I see no reason why you and Serge should say this is not suitable for this group; there are many posts here about non-Pharo Smalltalk activities.

Peter Kenny

Re: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

SergeStinckwich
Hi Peter,

don't want to discuss about that endlessly :-)
We receive already all a lot of emails from various lists.
There may be a few off-topic messages, but let's try to focus mainly on Pharo on pharo-users mailing-list.
There was a message from Stephane about that some days ago and I agree with him.

People who want to discuss about merits of Smalltalk, should create a Smalltalk advocacy mailing-list.
There is also an off-topic channel on Discord also.

Best,

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 1:03 PM PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I am sorry, but I had just finished to create a SMALLTALK application with Richard and I have asked him for a previous work I have done with him.

Anyway, if I can say my opinion, the observation ridicolous.

Lorenzo

R: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

Lorenzo

Thank you Peter,

I am astonished.

Lorenzo

R: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

Lorenzo

Hi Serge,

I suggest you to live in Italy, where burocracy is at it best.

Lorenzo

https://twitter.com/SergeStinckwich

Re: R: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 5 Feb 2020, at 13:28, Lorenzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Anyway, if I can say my opinion, the observation ridicolous.

Even though the article is interesting, there is no mention of the word 'Pharo' anywhere in the article, nor in any of the 3 slide presentations. Nor is there any Pharo or even Smalltalk code to be seen.

It is very well possible that you have an application in Pharo, if so, I and everybody on this list would be *very* interesting is learning more about it.

Sven

Re: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

cedreek

On 5 Feb 2020, at 13:28, Lorenzo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anyway, if I can say my opinion, the observation ridicolous.

Even though the article is interesting, there is no mention of the word 'Pharo' anywhere in the article, nor in any of the 3 slide presentations. Nor is there any Pharo or even Smalltalk code to be seen.

It is interesting indeed and I also agree that at least, if we had some code to see, that would be ok to me, because people can decide to port eventually.

I’m interested in all tool that manage uncertainty. Instead of Fuzzy Logic, I chose The Transferable Belief Model [1] 10y ago, (a derivative of Dempster Shafer Theory).
But this is probably different in essence, also it seems that it goes further that fuzzy logic since I see some genetic algorithms mentions.

I’d be interested though to look and try your system (and eventually port it to pharo if the licence is MIT).  The term fuzzy world sounds nice to me.

It is very well possible that you have an application in Pharo, if so, I and everybody on this list would be *very* interesting is learning more about it.

Sure, also the thread was not easy to get. Do not take it personally, but mailing-list have to be friendly moderated ;-)

Is your code open source ?

Cheers,

Cédrick

Sven

Re: Fuzzy Thinking in Smalltalk

horrido
I see two major points here. First, that this forum is supposedly only for
Pharo-related matters (not general Smalltalk-related matters), and second,
that people want to see actual source code.

I think this is too narrow a viewpoint and here's why. First, the Pharo
Smalltalk Users forum is, as far as I can tell, the largest
Smalltalk-related forum in the world. This is a testament to the popularity
and power of Pharo.

So, if you want to reach the *largest Smalltalk audience*, this is
unquestionably the best forum to do so. We should not limit ourselves to
only Pharo-related matters; this doesn't help the broader Smalltalk
community.

There are many subscribers here who use other Smalltalks. They may come here
simply because the forum is so large. If the size of the Pharo forum was
insignificant, why would others bother to come here?

I've said this before: a rising tide lifts all boats. We should help each
other...Pharo, Squeak, VA Smalltalk, GemStone/S, etc. This is a great
community, so let's not sequester ourselves into cliques.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that Cincom users come here for user support.
Exercise good judgement here. But we can discuss Smalltalk topics of a more
general nature.

It's a two-way street: Pharo and other Smalltalks can cross-fertilize with
each other. That's why Lorenzo's article is so valuable.

Second, Lorenzo's article didn't show source code, but it did provide an
interesting backdrop. We can see the value of fuzzy logic and how Lorenzo
applied it. This may inspire others to follow up on this in whatever way
they deem appropriate. Maybe someone will implement fuzzy logic in Pharo!
That would be something.

I would like to believe that the Pharo community is a generous and gracious
one. That would help Smalltalkers everywhere. All for one and one for all.

12