Fw: Re: R: R: UDBC ODBC

eftomi
Hi Lorenzo,

thanks - I'll see what I can do over weekends, I'll have some regular time to seriously look into it in a couple of months.

Do you possibly know (or anyone) if this implementation can be used together with Glorp? And more generally, are there any intentions and guidance in the Pharo community of how to proceed toward a stronger support for database connectivity - specifically, whether to put our efforts into Torsten's UDBC ODBC or Diego's ODBC ...

Best wishes,
Tomaz

R: Fw: Re: R: R: UDBC ODBC

Lorenzo

Hi Tomaz,

sorry, but I have not knowledge about your questions.

I use ODBC because I have integrated an application written in Smalltalk/V (that has no connection to WEB) with some extensions into Pharo for WEB applications.

So, it is easy to expand my local application into WEB, referencing to a single DB.

Lorenzo

Re: Fw: Re: R: R: UDBC ODBC

Pierce Ng-3
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 09:46:35AM +0000, Tomaž Turk wrote:
> Do you possibly know (or anyone) if this implementation can be used together
> with Glorp?

Glorp has a notion of database platforms, and currently there are
MySQLODBCPlatform, OracleODBCPlatform and SQLServerODBCPlatform. (I've
not used any of them so no comment on whether they are even functional
in Pharo 7 and whatever combination of OS/database product/versions.)

> And more generally, are there any intentions and guidance in the
> Pharo community of how to proceed toward a stronger support for database
> connectivity - specifically, whether to put our efforts into Torsten's UDBC
> ODBC or Diego's ODBC ...

Pragmatically, what gets used gets supported. What database product are
you connecting to from which OSes?

Pierce

Re: Fw: Re: R: R: UDBC ODBC

eftomi
Hi Pierce,

>Glorp has a notion of database platforms, and currently there are
>MySQLODBCPlatform, OracleODBCPlatform and SQLServerODBCPlatform. (I've
>not used any of them so no comment on whether they are even functional
>in Pharo 7 and whatever combination of OS/database product/versions.)
>Pragmatically, what gets used gets supported. What database product are
>you connecting to from which OSes?

I'm interested in connecting to SQL Server from Windows. I checked Glorp
and as I understand a database platform includes platform specific
elements like data types, specific SQL sentences and such, but for the
connection you need a corresponding driver.

Best wishes,
Tomaz