Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Hello guys,

Camillo and I were looking for a way to improve the way the debugger show the stack, so we worked on a tabbed version of the list. Here is a screenshot:

And so we implement the same on senders/implementors :)

Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Ben

Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 4.56.06 PM.png (162K) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

Stéphane Ducasse
I like the fact that the method symbols are aligned
If the class name is too long (is it cut) so that we can still see the selector without horizontally scrolling?

On Sep 7, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I like the fact that the method symbols are aligned
> If the class name is too long (is it cut) so that we can still see the selector without horizontally scrolling?

When the name is too long (it should never happened in a perfect world ;)) the "middle" is moved :)
So you do not have to scroll, but as in the previous debugger, the selector can be hidden

I just notice that no scrollbar appears, I will fix that ;)

Ben

> On Sep 7, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> Camillo and I were looking for a way to improve the way the debugger show the stack, so we worked on a tabbed version of the list. Here is a screenshot:
>>
>> <Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 4.56.06 PM.png>
>>

>> And so we implement the same on senders/implementors :)
>>
>> Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your feedback,
>>

>> Ben

Re: Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

abergel
Looks good!
Now that you're into it, maybe coloring the frames that are not "interesting" would be a valuable addition. For example, putting in light gray all the frame that belong to Kernel and Collection, since it is unlikely that one will ever be interested in those.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 7 Sep 2011, at 13:09, Benjamin wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> Camillo and I were looking for a way to improve the way the debugger show the stack, so we worked on a tabbed version of the list. Here is a screenshot:
>
> <Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 4.56.06 PM.png>
>

> And so we implement the same on senders/implementors :)
>
> Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback,
>

> Ben

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

Michael Roberts-2
if you could select different rendering of that area that would be
nice (e.g on context menu). i would add an option to display it in a
table widget. it could allow simple filtering & sorting etc, assuming
we had such a widget (essential really) . that would allow compact but
powerful slicing of the data presented...

cheers,
Mike

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks good!
> Now that you're into it, maybe coloring the frames that are not "interesting" would be a valuable addition. For example, putting in light gray all the frame that belong to Kernel and Collection, since it is unlikely that one will ever be interested in those.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 7 Sep 2011, at 13:09, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> Camillo and I were looking for a way to improve the way the debugger show the stack, so we worked on a tabbed version of the list. Here is a screenshot:
>>
>> <Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 4.56.06 PM.png>
>>

>> And so we implement the same on senders/implementors :)
>>
>> Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your feedback,
>>

>> Ben

Re: Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

Noury Bouraqadi-2
I like it.
On 7 sept. 2011, at 18:09, Benjamin wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> Camillo and I were looking for a way to improve the way the debugger show the stack, so we worked on a tabbed version of the list. Here is a screenshot:
>
> <Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 4.56.06 PM.png>
>

> And so we implement the same on senders/implementors :)
>
> Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback,
>

> Ben

Noury Bouraqadi
http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi
--
-19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/

-5th International Conference on Smalltalk Technologies
http://www.fast.org.ar
November 3th - 5th, 2011 Universidad Nacional de Quilmes (Argentina)

Re: Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

Igor Stasenko
On 7 September 2011 22:55, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like it.

+1
clean and nice.

> On 7 sept. 2011, at 18:09, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> Camillo and I were looking for a way to improve the way the debugger show the stack, so we worked on a tabbed version of the list. Here is a screenshot:
>>
>> <Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 4.56.06 PM.png>
>>

>> And so we implement the same on senders/implementors :)
>>
>> Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your feedback,
>>

>> Ben
>>

> Noury Bouraqadi
> http://twitter.com/#!/NouryBouraqadi
> --
> -19èmes Journées Francophones sur les Systèmes Multi-Agents (JFSMA’11)
> http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/jfsma2011/
> 17-19 Octobre 2011, Valenciennes, France
>
> -5th International Conference on Smalltalk Technologies
> http://www.fast.org.ar
> November 3th - 5th, 2011 Universidad Nacional de Quilmes (Argentina)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

HwaJong Oh
I like it.
Reads nice.

Re: A new way to render the debugger

Max Leske
Awesome!

On 08.09.2011, at 07:17, HwaJong Oh wrote:

> I like it.
> Reads nice.

Re: A new way to render the debugger

Tudor Girba-2
+1

Doru

On 8 Sep 2011, at 08:14, Max Leske wrote:

> Awesome!
>

> On 08.09.2011, at 07:17, HwaJong Oh wrote:
>
>> I like it.
>> Reads nice.
>>
>> --

www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Benjamin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)

What happens when the a frame is a closure? In the standard debugger
you see the full closure code and you have to scroll to see the method
in which it is implemented. Does your view improve this situation?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

On Sep 8, 2011, at 9:29 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Benjamin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)
>
> What happens when the a frame is a closure? In the standard debugger
> you see the full closure code and you have to scroll to see the method
> in which it is implemented. Does your view improve this situation?

instead of having the bloc on one line (really helpful :) ), you get an entry like: Block in MyClass :)

But it can be changed :)

Ben

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: A new way to render the debugger

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

On 8 Sep 2011, at 14:48, Benjamin wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2011, at 9:29 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Benjamin
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)
>>
>> What happens when the a frame is a closure? In the standard debugger
>> you see the full closure code and you have to scroll to see the method
>> in which it is implemented. Does your view improve this situation?
>>

> instead of having the bloc on one line (really helpful :) ), you get an entry like: Block in MyClass :)
>
> But it can be changed :)

Great. Actually, in your rendering, you could put a truncated version where the method is. Just to provide a preview of the first line, usually not completely useless.

Cheers,
Doru

> Ben
>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>> popular by not having them." James Iry

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving should be focused on describing
the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

Re: Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

benjamin could you open an issue and add the files you sent me there.
So that we do not forget.

Stef

On Sep 7, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Benjamin wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> Camillo and I were looking for a way to improve the way the debugger show the stack, so we worked on a tabbed version of the list. Here is a screenshot:
>
> <Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 4.56.06 PM.png>
>

> And so we implement the same on senders/implementors :)
>
> Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback,
>

> Ben

Re: Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
about this topic it's already done :)

Ben

On Sep 8, 2011, at 10:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> benjamin could you open an issue and add the files you sent me there.
> So that we do not forget.
>
> Stef
>
> On Sep 7, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> Camillo and I were looking for a way to improve the way the debugger show the stack, so we worked on a tabbed version of the list. Here is a screenshot:
>>
>> <Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 4.56.06 PM.png>
>>

>> And so we implement the same on senders/implementors :)
>>
>> Do you like it ? (Should it be integrated ?)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your feedback,
>>

>> Ben

Re: Fwd: A new way to render the debugger

Stéphane Ducasse
:)