Fwd: [ANN] 10245

Stéphane Ducasse
Some more happy people :)

        - Announcements-lr.10 from souce.lukas-renggli.ch
        Is when:do: not missing for compatibility with VW?

        - Polymorph
        Fix for button for currently selected window in tasklist not being
differentiated when using Watery 2 theme.

        - ContextPart argument

        - merged Issue 608: saveAsNewVersion uses deprecated method

        -  Issue 614:
        MessageTally broken when invoked from non-GUI process (e.g., in
Seaside code)

Now we should really kill more items for the milestone 1.0.

Stef (now breakfast :)

Re: Fwd: [ANN] 10245

Tudor Girba-3
Hi Stef,

> Some more happy people :)
>
> - Announcements-lr.10 from souce.lukas-renggli.ch
> Is when:do: not missing for compatibility with VW?

I published a new version containing when:do: Announcements-tg.11.

Cheers,
Doru

> - Polymorph
> Fix for button for currently selected window in tasklist not being
> differentiated when using Watery 2 theme.
>
> - ContextPart argument
>
> - merged Issue 608: saveAsNewVersion uses deprecated method
>
> -  Issue 614:
> MessageTally broken when invoked from non-GUI process (e.g., in
> Seaside code)
>

> Now we should really kill more items for the milestone 1.0.
>
> Stef (now breakfast :)

www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
  Tomorrow is a possibility.
  Today is a challenge."

Re: Fwd: [ANN] 10245

Stéphane Ducasse
Where?
It was not on lukas source and in the pharo inbox
Then there is the question to be sure if we want it.

On Mar 1, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
>> Some more happy people :)
>>
>> - Announcements-lr.10 from souce.lukas-renggli.ch
>> Is when:do: not missing for compatibility with VW?
>
> I published a new version containing when:do: Announcements-tg.11.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> - Polymorph
>> Fix for button for currently selected window in tasklist not being
>> differentiated when using Watery 2 theme.
>>
>> - ContextPart argument
>>
>> - merged Issue 608: saveAsNewVersion uses deprecated method
>>
>> -  Issue 614:
>> MessageTally broken when invoked from non-GUI process (e.g., in
>> Seaside code)
>>

>> Now we should really kill more items for the milestone 1.0.
>>
>> Stef (now breakfast :)

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Yesterday is a fact.
>  Tomorrow is a possibility.
>  Today is a challenge."

Re: Fwd: [ANN] 10245

Tudor Girba-3
I copied it to the repository of Lukas as well.

Does anyone actually see a reason for not having the when:do: method
in as an alias to on:do:? I do not see it.

Cheers,
Doru

On 1 Mar 2009, at 10:19, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Where?
> It was not on lukas source and in the pharo inbox
> Then there is the question to be sure if we want it.
>

> On Mar 1, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>>> Some more happy people :)
>>>
>>> - Announcements-lr.10 from souce.lukas-renggli.ch
>>> Is when:do: not missing for compatibility with VW?
>>
>> I published a new version containing when:do: Announcements-tg.11.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>>> - Polymorph
>>> Fix for button for currently selected window in tasklist not being
>>> differentiated when using Watery 2 theme.
>>>
>>> - ContextPart argument
>>>
>>> - merged Issue 608: saveAsNewVersion uses deprecated method
>>>
>>> -  Issue 614:
>>> MessageTally broken when invoked from non-GUI process (e.g., in
>>> Seaside code)
>>>

>>> Now we should really kill more items for the milestone 1.0.
>>>
>>> Stef (now breakfast :)

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>> Today is a challenge."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: Fwd: [ANN] 10245

NorbertHartl
On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 10:47 +0100, Tudor Girba wrote:
> I copied it to the repository of Lukas as well.
>
> Does anyone actually see a reason for not having the when:do: method
> in as an alias to on:do:? I do not see it.

Because then there is

on:do:
subscribe:do:
when:do:

with all for: and send:to: variants.

Counting the methods, the aliases are then on par with the
methods provided. It is 6:6. Honestly I don't like having
even another alias.

my 2 cents

Norbert

On Mar 1, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> I copied it to the repository of Lukas as well.

I did not see it when I did the release.

> Does anyone actually see a reason for not having the when:do: method
> in as an alias to on:do:? I do not see it.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 1 Mar 2009, at 10:19, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Where?
>> It was not on lukas source and in the pharo inbox
>> Then there is the question to be sure if we want it.
>>

>> On Mar 1, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stef,

>>> I published a new version containing when:do: Announcements-tg.11.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Yesterday is a fact.
>>> Tomorrow is a possibility.
>>> Today is a challenge."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: Fwd: [ANN] 10245

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Norbert,

I agree re aliases, but only to a point.  When trying to be compatible with other dialects, the aliases spare many other users from independently having to add them.  When it is reasonable, I have no problem with it.  This is another example of how nice it would be to have Dolphin's ability to apply multiple categories to a method; aliases can be flagged as such.  Then they can be tested and maintained rather than having myriad ad hoc attempts to fill a gap between dialects.

We have seen some complaints about lack of backward compatibility with Squeak.  I have no desire to be hostile, but Pharo is the cleaning that Squeak has needed for several years; there will be side effects.  If Pharo becomes what I think it will, there will be a time when things get back-ported to Squeak from Pharo.

The difference is on one of purpose and degree.  Are we trying desperately to fix Squeak and yet ensure that all of Pharo's improvements work perfectly on it?  I consider that unlikely to work.  If we are instead providing a few methods here or there that eliminate small incompatibilities, it is probably appropriate to add them and categorize them appropriately.

Bill

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 10:47 +0100, Tudor Girba wrote:
> I copied it to the repository of Lukas as well.
>
> Does anyone actually see a reason for not having the when:do: method
> in as an alias to on:do:? I do not see it.

Because then there is

on:do:
subscribe:do:
when:do:

with all for: and send:to: variants.

Counting the methods, the aliases are then on par with the
methods provided. It is 6:6. Honestly I don't like having
even another alias.

my 2 cents

Norbert

> On 1 Mar 2009, at 10:19, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > Where?
> > It was not on lukas source and in the pharo inbox
> > Then there is the question to be sure if we want it.
> >

> > On Mar 1, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Stef,

> >> I published a new version containing when:do: Announcements-tg.11.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru

> >> --
> >> www.tudorgirba.com
> >>
> >> "Yesterday is a fact.
> >> Tomorrow is a possibility.
> >> Today is a challenge."

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Be rather willing to give than demanding to get."

Re: Fwd: [ANN] 10245

NorbertHartl
Bill,

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 09:23 -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Norbert,
>
> I agree re aliases, but only to a point.  When trying to be compatible with other dialects, the aliases spare many other users from independently having to add them.  When it is reasonable, I have no problem with it.  This is another example of how nice it would be to have Dolphin's ability to apply multiple categories to a method; aliases can be flagged as such.  Then they can be tested and maintained rather than having myriad ad hoc attempts to fill a gap between dialects.
>
> We have seen some complaints about lack of backward compatibility with Squeak.  I have no desire to be hostile, but Pharo is the cleaning that Squeak has needed for several years; there will be side effects.  If Pharo becomes what I think it will, there will be a time when things get back-ported to Squeak from Pharo.
>
> The difference is on one of purpose and degree.  Are we trying desperately to fix Squeak and yet ensure that all of Pharo's improvements work perfectly on it?  I consider that unlikely to work.  If we are instead providing a few methods here or there that eliminate small incompatibilities, it is probably appropriate to add them and categorize them appropriately.

I agree. Coming from AXAnnouncements I already had to exchange when:do:
with subscribe:do:. I'm just wondering why there are then three sets of
these methods. Having VW compatibility is good. But then I should
consider deprecating one of the others. Where does subscribe:do: come
from?

Norbert