Fwd: [ANN] Magma 1.5

Torsten Bergmann
Stephan Eggermont wrote:
>It is possible, and it needs someone who can deal with low-level
>details. Magma has its own mailing list. Chris has repeatedly said he'd
>be willing to help out, but is not willing to be the Pharo port maintainer.

I asked Chris directly and you can find his answer here on the magma list:

 http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2015-August/001955.html

As ever it requires someone to move this forward to make it happen.
But as there was an initiative with Magma 1.3 for Pharo 1.3 already it does not
seem impossible.

Also - as Stef already pointed out - community services like CI could be used
to maintain it once an initial up to date port was done.

Bye
T.

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

pdigonzelli1
I can colaborate. I do not know if i have the time and technical skills to do it alone, but for shure i can colaborate.
I think magma will be a very interesting option for object persistence in pharo.
I am currently working with garage and glorp and i suffers the innecesary complexity and other bad things thet persistence layer introduce in developing pharo apps.

Pharo

Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
Software Solutions
IP-Solutiones SRL
Metrotec SRL
25 de Mayo 521
San Miguel de Tucumán
Email: [hidden email]
[hidden email]
Cel: 5493815982714

CC: [hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email], "Pablo Digonzelli" <[hidden email]>
Enviados: Martes, 18 de Agosto 2015 10:26:44
Asunto: Fwd: [ANN] Magma 1.5

Stephan Eggermont wrote:
>It is possible, and it needs someone who can deal with low-level
>details. Magma has its own mailing list. Chris has repeatedly said he'd
>be willing to help out, but is not willing to be the Pharo port maintainer.

I asked Chris directly and you can find his answer here on the magma list:

 http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/magma/2015-August/001955.html

As ever it requires someone to move this forward to make it happen.
But as there was an initiative with Magma 1.3 for Pharo 1.3 already it does not
seem impossible.

Also - as Stef already pointed out - community services like CI could be used
to maintain it once an initial up to date port was done.

Bye
T.

Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

EstebanLM

> On 18 Aug 2015, at 17:20, Pablo R. Digonzelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can colaborate. I do not know if i have the time and technical skills to do it alone, but for shure i can colaborate.
> I think magma will be a very interesting option for object persistence in pharo.
> I am currently working with garage and glorp and i suffers the innecesary complexity and other bad things thet persistence layer introduce in developing pharo apps.

have you checked voyage? (to work with a MongoDB)… it will avoid all the pain of using a relational database.

Esteban

ps: But yes, I do believe having magma would be cool too.

> Pharo
>

> Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
> Software Solutions
> IP-Solutiones SRL
> Metrotec SRL
> 25 de Mayo 521
> San Miguel de Tucumán
> Email: [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> Cel: 5493815982714

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

pdigonzelli1
Yes I checkesd. It is by far better approach to pharo and  I like it very much.
The problem i found was when i stress mongo, it lost some transactions (i.e  10000 rewrites lost about 80 or more don't remember exactly) .
In bussiness apps i cannot take that risk.

Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
Software Solutions
IP-Solutiones SRL
Metrotec SRL
25 de Mayo 521
San Miguel de Tucumán
Email: [hidden email]
[hidden email]
Cel: 5493815982714

CC: [hidden email], "Torsten Bergmann" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Enviados: Martes, 18 de Agosto 2015 12:45:05
Asunto: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] Magma 1.5

> On 18 Aug 2015, at 17:20, Pablo R. Digonzelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can colaborate. I do not know if i have the time and technical skills to do it alone, but for shure i can colaborate.
> I think magma will be a very interesting option for object persistence in pharo.
> I am currently working with garage and glorp and i suffers the innecesary complexity and other bad things thet persistence layer introduce in developing pharo apps.

have you checked voyage? (to work with a MongoDB)… it will avoid all the pain of using a relational database.

Esteban

ps: But yes, I do believe having magma would be cool too.

> Pharo
>

> Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
> Software Solutions
> IP-Solutiones SRL
> Metrotec SRL
> 25 de Mayo 521
> San Miguel de Tucumán
> Email: [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> Cel: 5493815982714

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

EstebanLM

> On 18 Aug 2015, at 18:35, Pablo R. Digonzelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes I checkesd. It is by far better approach to pharo and  I like it very much.
> The problem i found was when i stress mongo, it lost some transactions (i.e  10000 rewrites lost about 80 or more don't remember exactly) .
> In bussiness apps i cannot take that risk.

targeting plain mongo or using voyage?
I find hard to believe a production database as is mongo can have those problems so I would think more on voyage (and in that case, we can find a solution because this is obviously a bug :P)

Esteban

> Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
> Software Solutions
> IP-Solutiones SRL
> Metrotec SRL
> 25 de Mayo 521
> San Miguel de Tucumán
> Email: [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> Cel: 5493815982714

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

Paul DeBruicker
EstebanLM wrote
I find hard to believe a production database as is mongo can have those problems so I would think more on voyage (and in that case, we can find a solution because this is obviously a bug :P)

Esteban

https://aphyr.com/posts/322-call-me-maybe-mongodb-stale-reads describes how almost all "write concern" levels allow data loss in Mongo.  The author but points out that the default setting of Acknowledged is unsafe and a setting of at least Majority should be used, but even then no guarantees.

I'm not capable of analyzing it but it would seem like Mongo may not be a production database one would want to use.

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Re: [ANN] Magma 1.5

pdigonzelli1
i was using voyage for these tests.

Pablo

Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
Software Solutions
IP-Solutiones SRL
Metrotec SRL
25 de Mayo 521
San Miguel de Tucumán
Email: [hidden email]
[hidden email]
Cel: 5493815982714

CC: "stephan" <[hidden email]>, "Torsten Bergmann" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Enviados: Martes, 18 de Agosto 2015 13:55:10
Asunto: Re: [Pharo-users] ***UNCHECKED*** Re:  [ANN] Magma 1.5