Fwd: About SPDF

Torsten Bergmann
>Hehe, too much legal terms to me.....What we could do? Can modify,
>create a new package, etc?

The license of SPDF was not open enough for me in the past - thats
why I created the binding to the Haru PDF Library:

http://www.squeaksource.com/HPDF.html
http://libharu.sourceforge.net

This requires FFI and an external shared library.

If you want to have a Smalltalk only solution I think
you have to digg in the PDF spec and write an own. Assumed
you have lots of time to spend on bits and bytes and
writing nice unit tests for PDF streams.

Similar to iText for Java, this allows you change the
license and block your government later ;), see the story
of Bruno Lowagie [1]

There are also other PDF alternatives beside HPDF and SPDF (see [2])

Bye
Torsten

[1] http://techcrunch.com/2009/05/20/open-source-developer-intends-to-block-belgian-government-from-using-his-technology-over-tax-dispute/
[2] http://www.seaside.st/documentation/pdfs

Re: Fwd: About SPDF

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 25 Aug 2010, at 08:22, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Similar to iText for Java, this allows you change the
> license and block your government later ;), see the story
> of Bruno Lowagie [1]

Don't you just like Belgium and the Belgians ?

We're definitively in one of the most absurd and surreal places imaginable.

Sven

Re: Fwd: About SPDF

Stéphane Ducasse

>> Similar to iText for Java, this allows you change the
>> license and block your government later ;), see the story
>> of Bruno Lowagie [1]
>
> Don't you just like Belgium and the Belgians ?
>
> We're definitively in one of the most absurd and surreal places imaginable.

come on france is not that bad on this level too.... :)

> Sven

Re: Fwd: About SPDF

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 25 Aug 2010, at 12:38, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> come on france is not that bad on this level too.... :)

Well, l'Equipe de France did some nice things during the last World Cup in South-Africa.

Re: Fwd: About SPDF

Christian Haider
I have a Smalltalk only (with help of zlib) implementation of PDF (1.7) in VisualWorks.

I'd love to have a port for Pharo but not the time to do it...

I thought of releasing it as open source.

Ideas? Need?

Cheers,
        Christian

Miguel Cobá
El sáb, 28-08-2010 a las 18:42 +0200, Christian Haider escribió:
> I have a Smalltalk only (with help of zlib) implementation of PDF (1.7) in VisualWorks.
>
> I'd love to have a port for Pharo but not the time to do it...
>
> I thought of releasing it as open source.

Please do it, and with MIT license would be perfect because it will
avoid a lot of problems in the future.

Either publish it as a file out in your page or in a mail, or create a
project in squeaksource with read or read/write access for everyone and
someone will jump and will work out the porting to pharo.

The main thing is to let the code out as MIT and then everything will be
easy.

Thanks

> Ideas? Need?
>
> Cheers,
> Christian

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Fwd: About SPDF

Christian Haider
I dont think that this is so easy.

My product smallCharts uses the PDF implementation as its primary vector graphics output format - I rely on it.

What I want is to make the implementation of the spec available to the community. And I would like others to use it and maybe contribute to some of the many uncovered areas of the spec (pixmaps, encryption to name a few).

But I dont want to lose control. I dont like several incompatible development streams for different dialects. And I would like to integrate contributions myself.

One way to do this is to have the primary implementation in VisualWorks and a reliable, not too intrusive way of exporting it to other dialects. If such an export mechanism would be available, I could do that. But I dont have time to develop one.

Any thoughts about such a procedure?

Christian

Re: Fwd: About SPDF

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi christian

> I dont think that this is so easy.
>
> My product smallCharts uses the PDF implementation as its primary vector graphics output format - I rely on it.
>
> What I want is to make the implementation of the spec available to the community. And I would like others to use it and maybe contribute to some of the many uncovered areas of the spec (pixmaps, encryption to name a few)

> But I dont want to lose control. I dont like several incompatible development streams for different dialects.

Well you will have to pay the price for that: make sure that you do not rely on VW specific behavior.
Build a decent VW exporter (to me it is easier to work in pharo and export in VW but I may be wrong).
See below

> And I would like to integrate contributions myself.

What you can do is have a look at what people are doing, but do you have the time for that if you do not have the time to export it to pharo?
Do you have tests?

> One way to do this is to have the primary implementation in VisualWorks and a reliable, not too intrusive way of exporting it to other dialects. If such an export mechanism would be available, I could do that.

You have a simple squeak format exporter that we patched (:= instead of _) and use for one shot export when we migrate our old Moose library
but this is not like you can click and load in pharo and it works if the code was not develop with that in mind and even there I do not know.

Now what would be the license of your code?

> But I dont have time to develop one.
>
> Any thoughts about such a procedure?

Why you do not ask people to help and port it.  Then using packages you may control the addition in another package
and when this is stable enough in pharo you get it in VW.

Now in any case if you publish it under MIT/BSD/Apache anybody can just fork it and create another stream. May be there are other licenses.
now I think that licenses can be a mess and you can just lose time with them. So it is up to you.

For me I would like to have a good PDF outputer and I imagine that it requires work like with anything that requires a bit of effort
so joining forces is always a good situation. Because we are a tiny community.

What you can also play is
        - let your version grow and get good in pharo, cherry pick what you want for VW,
        - it gives you the time to see on one day you want to reuse for projects in pharo because with Cog I imagine that some people may be interested
        by pharo for their dev even if not everything can be reduced to speed. :)

Stef

> Christian

Re: Fwd: About SPDF

Miguel Cobá
El sáb, 28-08-2010 a las 20:31 +0200, Christian Haider escribió:
> I dont think that this is so easy.
>
> My product smallCharts uses the PDF implementation as its primary vector graphics output format - I rely on it.
>
> What I want is to make the implementation of the spec available to the community. And I would like others to use it and maybe contribute to some of the many uncovered areas of the spec (pixmaps, encryption to name a few).
>
> But I dont want to lose control.

This is always a risk in any true open source software. Of course there
are ways to avoid losing control even with very permissive licenses like
MIT, like hearing your contributors, your porters, etc. That way the
need to do a fork is minimized. If you discard good code for bad reasons
you're most surely betting for a fork.
Now, you can work only in VisualWorks, and some people can port (that is
not the same as fork) to other platforms. In the way they can send you
patches that make the original upstream version less platform dependent
so that the porting is easier with time to new platforms, this is good
for the project because can reach more platforms if it is really open in
the development and contribution process.

> I dont like several incompatible development streams for different dialects. And I would like to integrate contributions myself.

This don't need to happen, there are libraries (Sport, Grease) that put
a layer between platform specifics and your code so that is easier for
maintainers of the different ports to stay compatible. But again, the
principal reason of forking is contribution process issues and not
platform specific issues.

> One way to do this is to have the primary implementation in VisualWorks and a reliable, not too intrusive way of exporting it to other dialects. If such an export mechanism would be available, I could do that. But I dont have time to develop one.

I think that this will be solved when the actual problem arrives. Don't
worry about this right now. Just put a working version for VW and
someone (I for sure) will step forward to contribute the porting to
pharo.

> Any thoughts about such a procedure?

Finally, as the community is involved, more and more features that you
haven't had time to do will be done. A big project begins with a little
project.

Cheers

> Christian

Miguel Cobá