Fwd: Cleanups?

Stéphane Ducasse

Begin forwarded message:

Date: July 14, 2009 12:06:37 PM CEDT
Subject: Cleanups?

You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has
been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
[hidden email].

From: stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
Date: July 14, 2009 12:06:29 PM CEDT
To: Pharo Development <[hidden email]>

which reminds me that I want to integrate the "cleanUp" freespace methods of keith.

Stef

From: Ken G. Brown <kbrown <at> mac.com>
Subject: Re: image maintenance & cleanup methods
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general
Date: 2009-07-14 01:02:12 GMT (9 hours and 1 minute ago)
Have any more cleanup methods been added to this list?
I was just adding some things to <http://installer.pbworks.com/FreeSomeSpace>

Ken G. Brown

At 4:01 AM -0800 2/12/09, squeak-dev-request <at> lists.squeakfoundation.org apparently wrote:

> [...]
> PaintBoxMorph classPool at: #ColorChart put: nil.
> PaintBoxMorph classPool at: #Prototype put: nil.
> ImageMorph classPool at: #DefaultForm put: (Form extent: 1 <at> 1 depth: 1).
> Utilities classPool at: #ScrapsBook put: nil.
> Project allInstancesDo: [ :each | each setThumbnail: nil ].
> ScriptingSystem stripGraphicsForExternalRelease.
> ProjectHistory currentHistory initialize.
> Utilities zapUpdateDownloader.
> Smalltalk forgetDoIts.
> Behavior flushObsoleteSubclasses.
> CommandHistory allInstancesDo: #initialize.
> ChangeSorter removeChangeSetsNamedSuchThat: [ :each | true ].
> ChangeSet resetCurrentToNewUnnamedChangeSet.
> MethodChangeRecord allInstancesDo: [ :x | x noteNewMethod: nil ].
> RequiredSelectors initialize.
> ProvidedSelectors initialize.
> LocalSends initialize.
> SendCaches initializeAllInstances.
> Utilities cleanseOtherworldlySteppers.
> Smalltalk organization removeEmptyCategories.
> Browser initialize.
> SMSqueakMap default purge.
> SystemBrowser removeObsolete.
> TheWorldMenu removeObsolete.
> AppRegistry removeObsolete.
> FileServices removeObsolete.
> MCFileBasedRepository flushAllCaches.
> MCDefinition clearInstances.
> Undeclared removeUnreferencedKeys.
> Smalltalk flushClassNameCache.
> 3 timesRepeat: [ Smalltalk garbageCollect. Symbol compactSymbolTable ].
> Set rehashAllSets.
> Smalltalk garbageCollect.
>

>I added these ones.
>
> ChangeSorter initializeChangeSetCategories.
> MCWorkingCopy inspect.
> MCRepositoryGroup inspect.
> MCCacheRepository inspect.
>
>and cleaned up the class instance variables & any class vars via the
>inspect.
>
>That removed all the MC packages and MC http repositories from the MC
>Browser
>
>gave me back 4 megabytes of image space.
>
>Well brute force, still 4 mb wonderful to get back this late in the
>project.
>

>On 11-Feb-09, at 6:18 PM, Keith Hodges wrote:
>
>> John M McIntosh wrote:
>>> I'm building an image for a limited memory hardware platform.
>>>
>>> At the point here where I want to *deploy* things and I can see that
>>> various parts of Monticello
>>> are consuming well over a megabyte of memory to retain MCVersionInfo
>>> instances, MCMethodDefinition(s), time stamps, uuids, etc etc
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if anyone has some code to strip all that out thus
>>> returning I suspect a couple of MB back for more constructive usage?
>> You may want to look into the cleanUp/freeSomeSpace conventions. MC1.5
>> has a few implemented. There are many more available from
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7244
>>
>> Keith
>
>--
>=
>=
>=
>John M. McIntosh <johnmci <at> smalltalkconsulting.com>

Re: Fwd: Cleanups?

Benoit St-Jean
Shouldn't some of this stuff be cleaned (cache clearing, nilling instances/singletons, etc) in the #shutDown method ?

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

From: stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
Date: July 14, 2009 12:06:29 PM CEDT
To: Pharo Development <[hidden email]>

From: Ken G. Brown <kbrown <at> mac.com>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general
Date: 2009-07-14 01:02:12 GMT (9 hours and 1 minute ago)
> [...]

>> John M McIntosh wrote:
>>> I'm building an image for a limited memory hardware platform.
>>>
>>> At the point here where I want to *deploy* things and I can see that
>>> various parts of Monticello
>>> are consuming well over a megabyte of memory to retain MCVersionInfo
>>> instances, MCMethodDefinition(s), time stamps, uuids, etc etc
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if anyone has some code to strip all that out thus
>>> returning I suspect a couple of MB back for more constructive usage?
>> You may want to look into the cleanUp/freeSomeSpace conventions. MC1.5
>> has a few implemented. There are many more available from
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7244
>>
>> Keith
>
>--
>=
>=
>=
>John M. McIntosh <johnmci <at> smalltalkconsulting.com>

Re: Fwd: Cleanups?

Stéphane Ducasse
shutdown is when the image goes to sleep now we could imagine a
protocol so cleaning just for tighter
memory footprint