Fwd: Do you know any candidates for assistant positions in our department

1 message Options

Fwd: Do you know any candidates for assistant positions in our department

Stéphane Ducasse

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kim Mens <[hidden email]>
Subject: Do you know any candidates for assistant positions in our department
Date: May 10, 2012 10:28:45 AM GMT+02:00
To: researchers RELEASED <[hidden email]>

Dear all,

I am urgently looking for possible candidates to fill up some teaching and research assistants in our department. Such an assistant typically has teaching and research duties and gets up to 6 years to obtain a PhD (to be renewed every 2 years). The 6 years is because of the extra teaching load as compared to a normal researchers. Regarding research, they get to choose what professor they want to do research with and negotiate the research topic with him; evidently I'm open to have them under my guidance, but the choice is up to them. Regarding teaching, the teaching charges are distributed equally among the different assistants based on their capacities and interests. The positions are very interesting, and they get a real contract and fair salary (as compared to some other countries). A university level degree of master in computer science or computing science engineering (or something equivalent) is a must. (For foreigners, equivalence of their diploma will need to be verified but that can be done afterwards I think.) Knowledge of French is strongly desired because the bachelor years are still taught in French and we are already quite short on French-speaking researchers to help out with teaching duties in the bachelor years. Knowledge of English is also positive since our Master years are taught in English. Anyway, if you would know anyone, please pass them this information. The deadline is very short since all forms need to be filled in and submitted electronically by May 18, which would mean they need to start working on it right now. A internal selection commission of professors from our department will select the three best candidates from all those who applied.

More instructions on how to apply can be found here :
http://www.uclouvain.be/11617.html
The candidate needs to fill out the digital form that is available there. If they click on "Listes des postes vacants" they will see the different vacancies currently available for the entire university. The ones related to our department can be found under the faculty "Ecole Polytechnique de Louvain" and more specifically the vacancies with identification numbers 00001941, 00002203, en 00004257.
You will see that 2 of these 3 have a description that is particularly dedicated to computer science. The third one looks more general, but in fact it has been decided recently that it will also go to computer science, but we weren't able to change the description anymore. Interested candidates should thus fill in the form and are strongly advised to apply to each of the 3 positions, even though they can receive only one. (I agree the procedure is a bit absurd, but what did you expect, this is Belgium.)

Of course you can always contact me for more information or if the procedure is not 100% clear (even though I also had to look all of this up on the official university webpage).

That's it for now...

Thanks for your attention to this mail.

Prof. Kim Mens
Université catholique de Louvain (UCL)
Institute of Information & Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTEAM)
Ingénierie Informatique (INGI)
Place Sainte Barbe 2, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgique
[hidden email]