Fwd: Faster That light

Stéphane Ducasse
Olivier should not be shy :)
I think that lot of people can be interested by FTL (faster than light)

Stef
Begin forwarded message:

From: Olivier Auverlot <[hidden email]>
Date: June 23, 2011 2:15:33 PM GMT+02:00
To: Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
Cc: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
Subject: Faster That light

Hi Mariano,

I have worked the last days on a generic connection pool for Pharo. The objective is to improve performances for an application that uses a network data source (databases, LDAP, etc.).

My work is now stable and the gain of performances is good. For exemple, I have a benchmark that uses a SqueakDBX/PostgreSQL database and a LDAP directory. Without the pool, the test take 6,61s, with the pool, only 0,367s :-)

I have made many stress tests for testing the fiability. This morning, the connection pools has processed 270000 requests without problems.

I think that my project can interest you.  I don't know if the code is ready for production.

The projet is on squeaksource and I have added your account (and Stef also) as Guest.
MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/FasterThatLight'
    user: ''
    password: ''
Thanks for remarks and critics.

Best regards
Olivier

Re: Fwd: Faster That light

Mariano Martinez Peck

I have worked the last days on a generic connection pool for Pharo. The objective is to improve performances for an application that uses a network data source (databases, LDAP, etc.).

Hi Olivier. First, let me say that we really appreciate your project and we are happy with it :)

Now, to avoid reinventing the wheel, I want to point you some stuff.

1) There is a GlorpDBX connection pool available. This is the package GlorpDBX-ConnectionPool.
Documentation: http://www.squeakdbx.org/documentation/SqueakDBX%20connection%20pool%20for%20Glorp

2) There is a general purpose pool (for any kind of object) that also work in Glorp or DBXTalk.
http://www.squeaksource.com/ObjectPool
There is a package ObjectPool-GlorpDBX :)
I cc'ed Panu, the developer.

So...maybe you can join forces with him?

My work is now stable and the gain of performances is good. For exemple, I have a benchmark that uses a SqueakDBX/PostgreSQL database and a LDAP directory. Without the pool, the test take 6,61s, with the pool, only 0,367s :-)

I have made many stress tests for testing the fiability. This morning, the connection pools has processed 270000 requests without problems.

I think that my project can interest you.

sure it does!!!

I don't know if the code is ready for production.

It doesn't matter. It is good to know about it.

The projet is on squeaksource and I have added your account (and Stef also) as Guest.
MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/FasterThatLight'
    user: ''
    password: ''
Thanks for remarks and critics.

Thanks. I will take a look. For the pools, the expert is Diogenes and Panu :)

Best regards,

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com