Fwd: I checked and I do not find the BitBltPlugin

Fwd: I checked and I do not find the BitBltPlugin

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks john for this nice explanation. We should put it on the web.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: John M McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Date: August 19, 2009 8:36:28 AM CEDT
> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: I checked and I do not find the BitBltPlugin
>
> The way this works is that plugins are compiled either into the VM,
> or as external.
> For the macintosh carbon VM most plugins are internal, versus for
> unix they are external.
>
> What happens when the plugin is referenced we first look for the
> plugin as an external plugin, if not found
> then we look for the plugin as an internal entry point in the VM
> binary (aka internal plugin).
>
> However when for example you stick the bitblit external plugin in
> either the applications's resource folder
> or in a folder called Plugins in the same directory as the *.app
> then it will load the external plugin versus
> using the internal plugin.
>
> So if you had a Plugins folder around it could have seen the bitblit
> plugin there and override the behavior
> for bitblt that was compiled in May
>

> SqueakPluginsBuiltInOrLocalOnly
>
> when set to true makes the lookup logic only consider unix libraries
> or os-x bundles in
> the ./Plugins folder in the same directory as the app, or the
> application Resources folder,
> or as a foo.framework in the /System/Library/Frameworks/.
>
> To turn this feature off and then consider the other 80+ choices of
> library locations and
> library names set SqueakPluginsBuiltInOrLocalOnly to false.Turning
> the feature on
> avoids a couple of hundred stat calls at startup time as the VM
> hunts for external versions
> of internal plugins. It was added to reduce overhead and help the
> macIntel migration were
> we provided new universal binaries that live in the application
> Resources folder since we cann't
> load powerpc plugins on macintel machines if we found them first in
> the ./Pugins folder
>

> On 18-Aug-09, at 11:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> OK!!!!!!
>> I was not aware of that optional behavior.
>>
>> stef
>> On Aug 19, 2009, at 12:17 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>>
>>> Yes it is optional and I did not make it the default. But if you
>>> download and install it, then it would override the vm behavor
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On 2009-08-18, at 3:13 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]

> --
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
> squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =

Re: Fwd: I checked and I do not find the BitBltPlugin

johnmci
k, there is lots of behaviour in the macintosh Carbon VM explained in
http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/html/squeakinfoplist.html
which people don't realize is there.

On 19-Aug-09, at 12:18 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks john for this nice explanation. We should put it on the web.
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: John M McIntosh <[hidden email]>
>> Date: August 19, 2009 8:36:28 AM CEDT
>> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: I checked and I do not find the BitBltPlugin
>>
>> The way this works is that plugins are compiled either into the VM,
>> or as external.
>> For the macintosh carbon VM most plugins are internal, versus for
>> unix they are external.
>>
>> What happens when the plugin is referenced we first look for the
>> plugin as an external plugin, if not found
>> then we look for the plugin as an internal entry point in the VM
>> binary (aka internal plugin).
>>
>> However when for example you stick the bitblit external plugin in
>> either the applications's resource folder
>> or in a folder called Plugins in the same directory as the *.app
>> then it will load the external plugin versus
>> using the internal plugin.
>>
>> So if you had a Plugins folder around it could have seen the bitblit
>> plugin there and override the behavior
>> for bitblt that was compiled in May
>>

>> SqueakPluginsBuiltInOrLocalOnly
>>
>> when set to true makes the lookup logic only consider unix libraries
>> or os-x bundles in
>> the ./Plugins folder in the same directory as the app, or the
>> application Resources folder,
>> or as a foo.framework in the /System/Library/Frameworks/.
>>
>> To turn this feature off and then consider the other 80+ choices of
>> library locations and
>> library names set SqueakPluginsBuiltInOrLocalOnly to false.Turning
>> the feature on
>> avoids a couple of hundred stat calls at startup time as the VM
>> hunts for external versions
>> of internal plugins. It was added to reduce overhead and help the
>> macIntel migration were
>> we provided new universal binaries that live in the application
>> Resources folder since we cann't
>> load powerpc plugins on macintel machines if we found them first in
>> the ./Pugins folder
>>

>> On 18-Aug-09, at 11:21 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> OK!!!!!!
>>> I was not aware of that optional behavior.
>>>
>>> stef

>> --
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
>> squeaker68882
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
>> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =
>> =

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
squeaker68882
=
=
=

Re: Fwd: I checked and I do not find the BitBltPlugin

Stéphane Ducasse
Indeed it works so well that we do not imagine :)

Stef