Fwd: MethodDictionary potential cleanups

Fwd: MethodDictionary potential cleanups

Stéphane Ducasse

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:13:33 +0200, Ralph Boland wrote:

> MethodDictionary has a method    "growNoBecome".
> It is invoked by  "MethodDictionary>>fullCheckNoBecome".
> It is invoked by  "MethodDictionary>>at:putNoBecome:".
> It is invoked by ?????  (that is nobody).
>
> Can anybody explain this or should I generate a bug report?

Hi Ralph,

when I saw this the first time, it seemed that the methods without
*become* in their name, would do a #become: but they did not.

Even if somebody tried with aMethod #become:, sooner or later the .image
would crash: #becom:ing methods that can be in use by the VM is always a
very bad idea. So it rather looks like the methods you listed are 100%
pure[tm] rot or crap.

> I have no idea if any of the Squeak forks exhibit the same behavior.

I suggest to remove them or, if you feel inclined, to deprecate them.

/Klaus

> I am running Squeak 3.10.2.
>
> Ralph Boland

Re: Fwd: MethodDictionary potential cleanups

Philippe Marschall-2-3