Fwd: [Moose-dev] [seed] New project around the kernel

Fwd: [Moose-dev] [seed] New project around the kernel

Stéphane Ducasse

Begin forwarded message:

From: Nicolas Paez <[hidden email]>
Date: August 31, 2010 5:02:04 PM GMT+02:00
Subject: [Moose-dev] [seed] New project around the kernel

Hi, I am working in the RMoD team (INRIA) in a project called Seed. One of the tasks of the project is to identify those mandatory classes that should be part of Pharo kernel. Currently, Pharo kernel has some "unhappy dependecies". We are using Moose + Glamour to create a tool (a browser) that help up with this task. The idea is to start by loading in our browser the classes used in the SpecialObjectsArray and then iterate to add dependencies incrementally. This way we will be able to detect smells and "blacklist" methods we don't want to be part of our kernel.

During this days we will have a working version of our browser to start the analysis.
If you want to take a look, search for Seed on SqueackSource.
We will be sharing our findings in the Pharo mailing list.

Regards,
NicoPaez.

Re: Fwd: [Moose-dev] [seed] New project around the kernel

Yanni Chiu
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> *From: *Nicolas Paez <[hidden email]
>>
>> Hi, I am working in the RMoD team (INRIA) in a project called /Seed/.
>> One of the tasks of the project is to identify those mandatory classes
>> that should be part of Pharo kernel.

Would it be worthwhile to look at the class/methods in a Spoon image?
     http://netjam.org/projects/spoon/

The "minimal" Spoon image which is meant to have just enough to connect
to another image to provide more code, IMHO, is too small to be Pharo
Kernel.

Re: Fwd: [Moose-dev] [seed] New project around the kernel

Stéphane Ducasse
I know that work now it was difficult to make it work. and for the moment we do not aim a minimal kernel
just a kernel.

After there are some points hwere starting to do something is important.
        We looked at
                GNU
                Chacharas
                Pavel Image we are interacting with pavel

Stef