Fwd: MouseOverHandler

Stéphane Ducasse

Begin forwarded message:

From: Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
Date: October 29, 2009 2:02:32 PM GMT+01:00
To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
Subject: MouseOverHandler

Hi Stef,
 do you know why the MouseOverHandler version I made is not in the main image? the current version is not working well, under heavy use it generates exceptions...
 I'm attaching the version I wrote that I'm using without problem...

Hernan.

MouseOverHandler.st (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: MouseOverHandler

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Hernan,

The reason this was not integrated is that nobody marked it as 'fixed'
nor tagged it as 1.0.

Is this critical for 1.0?

Cheers,
Adrian

BTW, if anybody sees changes/fixes not being integrated please ask on
the mailing list.

On Oct 31, 2009, at 14:29 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
>> Date: October 29, 2009 2:02:32 PM GMT+01:00
>> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: MouseOverHandler
>>
>> Hi Stef,
>>  do you know why the MouseOverHandler version I made is not in the
>> main image? the current version is not working well, under heavy
>> use it generates exceptions...
>>  I'm attaching the version I wrote that I'm using without problem...
>>
>> Hernan.
> <MouseOverHandler.st>

Re: Fwd: MouseOverHandler

hernan.wilkinson
Hi Adrian,
 the current implementation has problems, ie. send messages to nil, and it bothers a lot when that happens because it comes from nowhere...
 I've been using this implementation for a long time in my images and I did not get those problems anymore (and it is more readable...)

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hernan,

The reason this was not integrated is that nobody marked it as 'fixed'
nor tagged it as 1.0.

Is this critical for 1.0?

Cheers,
Adrian

BTW, if anybody sees changes/fixes not being integrated please ask on
the mailing list.

On Oct 31, 2009, at 14:29 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
>> Date: October 29, 2009 2:02:32 PM GMT+01:00
>> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: MouseOverHandler
>>
>> Hi Stef,
>>  do you know why the MouseOverHandler version I made is not in the
>> main image? the current version is not working well, under heavy
>> use it generates exceptions...
>>  I'm attaching the version I wrote that I'm using without problem...
>>
>> Hernan.
> <MouseOverHandler.st>

Re: Fwd: MouseOverHandler

Gary Chambers-4
Yet the cause is unexplained. I still think it is due to non-ui processes fiddling with morphs (likely delettion or creation).
The Morphic event loop remains non-thread safe. We have some modifications to ensure thread safety, based on a generalised synchronisation protocol if anyone is interested.

Regards, Gary
 the current implementation has problems, ie. send messages to nil, and it bothers a lot when that happens because it comes from nowhere...
 I've been using this implementation for a long time in my images and I did not get those problems anymore (and it is more readable...)

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hernan,

The reason this was not integrated is that nobody marked it as 'fixed'
nor tagged it as 1.0.

Is this critical for 1.0?

Cheers,
Adrian

BTW, if anybody sees changes/fixes not being integrated please ask on
the mailing list.

On Oct 31, 2009, at 14:29 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
>> Date: October 29, 2009 2:02:32 PM GMT+01:00
>> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: MouseOverHandler
>>
>> Hi Stef,
>>  do you know why the MouseOverHandler version I made is not in the
>> main image? the current version is not working well, under heavy
>> use it generates exceptions...
>>  I'm attaching the version I wrote that I'm using without problem...
>>
>> Hernan.
> <MouseOverHandler.st>

Re: Fwd: MouseOverHandler

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi gary
do you think that it make sense to have it in general (my gut feeling
is saying yes but I'm not thread-safe)

If yes, yes we are interested for 1.1

BTW hernan I integrated your changes now it would be interesting to
understand from where this nil is coming.

Stef
On Nov 2, 2009, at 8:58 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Yet the cause is unexplained. I still think it is due to non-ui
> processes fiddling with morphs (likely delettion or creation).
> The Morphic event loop remains non-thread safe. We have some
> modifications to ensure thread safety, based on a generalised
> synchronisation protocol if anyone is interested.
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: Fwd: MouseOverHandler

hernan.wilkinson
I compleatly agree, and I had a version that saves a dump when that happened because it is imposible to find it out just reading the code...

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi gary
do you think that it make sense to have it in general (my gut feeling
is saying yes but I'm not thread-safe)

If yes, yes we are interested for 1.1

BTW hernan I integrated your changes now it would be interesting to
understand from where this nil is coming.

Stef
On Nov 2, 2009, at 8:58 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Yet the cause is unexplained. I still think it is due to non-ui
> processes fiddling with morphs (likely delettion or creation).
> The Morphic event loop remains non-thread safe. We have some
> modifications to ensure thread safety, based on a generalised
> synchronisation protocol if anyone is interested.
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: Fwd: MouseOverHandler

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef, Gary,

Having recently ranted a little about thread safety for weak collection, how can I argue?  Well, let me see if I can do so and keep my credibility intact :)

Squeak's weak collections, and we have not moved beyond their limitations, do not clean themselves after their elements are finalized.  That means they do half of what they should do; once they do all of it, they need to be thread safe; hence they do one third of what they should do.

The GUI is arguably a little different.  #addDeferredUIMessage: provides a clean way to interact with it from background threads, and that might be enough.  IDE specific messages (e.g. #inspect) could probably stand to be queued to make them safe w/o horrible penalties, with the remainder of the GUI understood not to be thread safe for performance reasons.  A backround thread can do expensive calculations and then queue a GUI update to safely update the display.

Bill

do you think that it make sense to have it in general (my gut feeling is saying yes but I'm not thread-safe)

If yes, yes we are interested for 1.1

BTW hernan I integrated your changes now it would be interesting to understand from where this nil is coming.

Stef
On Nov 2, 2009, at 8:58 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Yet the cause is unexplained. I still think it is due to non-ui
> processes fiddling with morphs (likely delettion or creation).
> The Morphic event loop remains non-thread safe. We have some
> modifications to ensure thread safety, based on a generalised
> synchronisation protocol if anyone is interested.
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: Fwd: MouseOverHandler

Gary Chambers-4
No arguments on weak stuff... VisualAge did a good job of those things
(perhaps the garbage collector was better integrated with the concept).

The driving force for our synchronisation stuff was the need to provide
timely feedback, in terms of screen redraws, driven from separate
processes that, for instance, were monitoring keystrokes from
non-standard keypad devices, network messages etc. Was a necessity and
proven in the field! I can get things together as a package later in the
week. Very small footprint for a generalised per-object/sub-object
scheme.

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 16:24 -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef, Gary,
>
> Having recently ranted a little about thread safety for weak collection, how can I argue?  Well, let me see if I can do so and keep my credibility intact :)
>
> Squeak's weak collections, and we have not moved beyond their limitations, do not clean themselves after their elements are finalized.  That means they do half of what they should do; once they do all of it, they need to be thread safe; hence they do one third of what they should do.
>
> The GUI is arguably a little different.  #addDeferredUIMessage: provides a clean way to interact with it from background threads, and that might be enough.  IDE specific messages (e.g. #inspect) could probably stand to be queued to make them safe w/o horrible penalties, with the remainder of the GUI understood not to be thread safe for performance reasons.  A backround thread can do expensive calculations and then queue a GUI update to safely update the display.
>
> Bill

Re: Fwd: MouseOverHandler

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

You raise an important point: I never said I was interested in your fixes.  Given your track record, I would find it difficult not to be interested.

Dolphin's deferred messages work in most situations.  I learned the hard way[*] that menus left open[**] block Dolphin's out-of-the-box queued actions.  Steve Waring wrote an alernate queue that was not so easy to hobble, and has served me well for years.

I have yet to challenge Pharo's queued messages; in Dolphin, they work very quickly, sometimes only with Steve's help.  That said, I look forward to seeing what you created; it might save me from problems I do not even yet know I have.

Bill

[*] Experience is not always the best teacher, but it is usually the most dramatic.  I wish I could say I thought of that :)

[**] You haven't lived until you've built software for physicians =:0

No arguments on weak stuff... VisualAge did a good job of those things (perhaps the garbage collector was better integrated with the concept).

The driving force for our synchronisation stuff was the need to provide timely feedback, in terms of screen redraws, driven from separate processes that, for instance, were monitoring keystrokes from non-standard keypad devices, network messages etc. Was a necessity and proven in the field! I can get things together as a package later in the week. Very small footprint for a generalised per-object/sub-object scheme.

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 16:24 -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef, Gary,
>
> Having recently ranted a little about thread safety for weak
> collection, how can I argue?  Well, let me see if I can do so and keep
> my credibility intact :)
>
> Squeak's weak collections, and we have not moved beyond their limitations, do not clean themselves after their elements are finalized.  That means they do half of what they should do; once they do all of it, they need to be thread safe; hence they do one third of what they should do.
>
> The GUI is arguably a little different.  #addDeferredUIMessage: provides a clean way to interact with it from background threads, and that might be enough.  IDE specific messages (e.g. #inspect) could probably stand to be queued to make them safe w/o horrible penalties, with the remainder of the GUI understood not to be thread safe for performance reasons.  A backround thread can do expensive calculations and then queue a GUI update to safely update the display.
>
> Bill

Re: Fwd: MouseOverHandler

excellent!
we are in alpha so we can be wild :)