Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

12

Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

Avi Bryant-2
Hi all,

OSCON is O'Reilly's annual Open Source Conference in Portland, Oregon.
 I did a Seaside talk there last year, which was great fun, and this
year you'll note that Seaside is explicitly mentioned in the Call for
Participation.  It's a great chance to show off what we're all working
on to a much wider audience than usual.  I'd love to see some Seaside
talks on the schedule this year, so if anyone has any ideas at all for
sessions, please do apply.  The Call for Participation is attached
below.

Cheers,
Avi

Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

stephane ducasse
Hi avi

do you think that as a community effort we could someone presenting
pier/magritte?
May be esug could participate?
How many people are attending this conference?

Stef

On 1/26/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi avi
>
> do you think that as a community effort we could someone presenting
> pier/magritte?
> May be esug could participate?

If you mean, should ESUG sponsor Lukas to go and give a talk on Pier,
then yes, of course they should :).

> How many people are attending this conference?

Between 2500 and 3000, I think.

Avi

On 26 janv. 07, at 10:40, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On 1/26/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi avi
>>
>> do you think that as a community effort we could someone presenting
>> pier/magritte?
>> May be esug could participate?
>
> If you mean, should ESUG sponsor Lukas to go and give a talk on Pier,
> then yes, of course they should :).

The problem is that we do not have enough money for that. We could
participate.
Or a nice seasider living more closely to portland could do it :)

>> How many people are attending this conference?
>
> Between 2500 and 3000, I think.

Indeed this would be interesting to get there.

Stef

> Avi

Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno ven, 26/01/2007 alle 10.45 +0100, stephane ducasse ha scritto:

> On 26 janv. 07, at 10:40, Avi Bryant wrote:
>
> > On 1/26/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi avi
> >>
> >> do you think that as a community effort we could someone presenting
> >> pier/magritte?
> >> May be esug could participate?
> >
> > If you mean, should ESUG sponsor Lukas to go and give a talk on Pier,
> > then yes, of course they should :).
>
> The problem is that we do not have enough money for that. We could
> participate.
> Or a nice seasider living more closely to portland could do it :)

PR-wise, "sending" a Squeaker/Seasider to give a talk to OSCON would be
money well spent. I'd participate in a fundraiser for that, is ESUG or
the Squeak Foundation organized one.

        Giovanni

Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

stephane ducasse

>>> If you mean, should ESUG sponsor Lukas to go and give a talk on
>>> Pier,
>>> then yes, of course they should :).
>>
>> The problem is that we do not have enough money for that. We could
>> participate.
>> Or a nice seasider living more closely to portland could do it :)
>
> PR-wise, "sending" a Squeaker/Seasider to give a talk to OSCON
> would be
> money well spent. I'd participate in a fundraiser for that, is ESUG or
> the Squeak Foundation organized one.

Yes this was a bit the idea or/and that a famous seaside living close
by could present pier/magritte :)

Il giorno ven, 26/01/2007 alle 20.20 +0100, stephane ducasse ha scritto:

> >> The problem is that we do not have enough money for that. We could
> >> participate.
> >> Or a nice seasider living more closely to portland could do it :)
> >
> > PR-wise, "sending" a Squeaker/Seasider to give a talk to OSCON
> > would be
> > money well spent. I'd participate in a fundraiser for that, is ESUG or
> > the Squeak Foundation organized one.
>
> Yes this was a bit the idea or/and that a famous seaside living close
> by could present pier/magritte :)

:-)

I meant sending someone else _in addition_ to the famous Seasider. It
communicates btter the fact that there's a community behind Squeak and
Seaside.

        Giovanni

Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

Giles Bowkett
I'm still a big big newbie with Seaside, but I'm going to submit
something about Seaside, Rails, and the whole idea of "href considered
harmful."

I actually did a ten-minute version today as a screencast:

http://www.gilesbowkett.com/screencasts/seaside_rails.mov

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

Chris Cunnington-5
Hi Giles,

I really enjoyed your webcast movie. I thought it was excellent. I admire
how you had such great editing command over the images and were able to make
them work with what you were saying so well. When I do a webcast, I just do
one take, no editing, and all facing the desktop.

Also the things you had to say about RoR were great for me, because I don't
know anything about that language, and so it was great to see a comparison
of the two. The only other place I've seen something similar is in Bruce
Tate's O'Reilly book "Beyond Java", which is a fun, short read comparing RoR
to ...everything. It's where I heard about Seaside.

I hope your application for a presentation at OSCON meets with success.

Chris Cunnington
Toronto

Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

Yanni Chiu
Giles Bowkett wrote:
> I'm still a big big newbie with Seaside, but I'm going to submit
> something about Seaside, Rails, and the whole idea of "href considered
> harmful."
>
> I actually did a ten-minute version today as a screencast:
>
> http://www.gilesbowkett.com/screencasts/seaside_rails.mov

Great screencast! I hope you get to make a presentation at OSCON.
In any case, if the screencast gets good play, it'll still be a
big PR boost.

In the conclusion you have Seaside trumps Rails (in some things),
and vice versa. I'd be curious to know where you think Rails
is "better". Is it better out-of-box experience, better documentation,
easier RDB hookup, more ready made components, etc.?

Again, thanks for this screencast; it really gives me the sense
that Seaside is gaining traction and ready for take-off.

--
Yanni Chiu

RE: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

Ramon Leon-5

Giles, awesome work, great screencast.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

On 1/28/07, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Giles,
>
> I really enjoyed your webcast movie. I thought it was excellent. I admire
> how you had such great editing command over the images and were able to make
> them work with what you were saying so well. When I do a webcast, I just do
> one take, no editing, and all facing the desktop.
>
> Also the things you had to say about RoR were great for me, because I don't
> know anything about that language, and so it was great to see a comparison
> of the two. The only other place I've seen something similar is in Bruce
> Tate's O'Reilly book "Beyond Java", which is a fun, short read comparing RoR
> to ...everything. It's where I heard about Seaside.
>
> I hope your application for a presentation at OSCON meets with success.

Gracias!

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
http://gilesgoatboy.blogspot.com

Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

Giles Bowkett
> > I actually did a ten-minute version today as a screencast:
> >
> > http://www.gilesbowkett.com/screencasts/seaside_rails.mov
>
> Giles, awesome work, great screencast.

cheers Ramon ^_^

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
http://gilesgoatboy.blogspot.com

Re: Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

Giles Bowkett
> Great screencast! I hope you get to make a presentation at OSCON.
> In any case, if the screencast gets good play, it'll still be a
> big PR boost.
>
> In the conclusion you have Seaside trumps Rails (in some things),
> and vice versa. I'd be curious to know where you think Rails
> is "better". Is it better out-of-box experience, better documentation,
> easier RDB hookup, more ready made components, etc.?
>
> Again, thanks for this screencast; it really gives me the sense
> that Seaside is gaining traction and ready for take-off.

For sure -- glad everybody liked it so much. I got the idea from the
Rails screencasts, there's a ton of effort on the marketing side with
Rails, and of course DHH (Rails' creator) works for a firm with roots
in graphic design.

In terms of Rails, one thing is the marketing and documentation, it's
a lot easier for a newbie to hit the ground running. Also the Unix
interaction, relational databases, that often makes life more
practical. Gemstone might be better but it's also more obscure.

Rails has one huge weakness, though, which is that they make things
**too** easy for newbies. So there's a lot of people in that community
who aren't really programmers, and the result is a lot of messy
mistakes with a very elegant framework. Like shooting yourself in the
foot with an unusually beautiful gun. And there are also a lot of
people who came to Rails from PHP. They discover reflection and lambda
for the first time and they go a little nuts with it. (Then again I'm
as guilty of that as any Rails n00b.)

Anyway -- I think the "vs" attitude isn't the way to go, I definitely
like having both frameworks in my bag of tricks.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
http://gilesgoatboy.blogspot.com

Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

stephane ducasse
Yes reallllllly coool.
On which machine did you do it? a Mac ?

Stef

Giles Bowkett wrote:
> Anyway -- I think the "vs" attitude isn't the way to go, I definitely
> like having both frameworks in my bag of tricks.

Sure, all frameworks have their plus and minus points.
Since you've got lots more Rails knowledge, I was keen
to know whether there was a major technical advantage
that Rails had, that could be added to Seaside - which,
only a few people could do. But it seems that what you
see lacking can be solved by more casual contributors.

I think that with enough people using Seaside, some
of the current dificiencies will eventually be addressed.
I'd like to see it all pan out like so:

1. Lots of people adopt a Seaside solution.
2. A few are gifted marketers, who spread the word.
3. Some are gifted writers, who add to the growing
    pool of documentation, tutorials, etc.
4. Some are natural editors, who gather the available
    documentation, and make it more accessible.
5. Some are tinkerers, who fix up the out-of-box experience.
6. Some are builders, who add to the list of ready made
    solutions. (E.g. portable RDB access would be nice to have.)
7. A few will learn and improve upon the internals of Seaside,
    or create significant new frameworks.

IMHO, Seaside is doing well with (7), pretty good with (6),
and gathering steam with (3) and (2).

Your Webcast In Print

Chris Cunnington-5
Hi Giles,

I'm putting together a small Smalltalk magazine called "Parasol" quarterly.
I'd like you to write 800-words on your webcast. "Parasol" quarterly,
"Internet Smalltalk Coding", would like an article from you articulating in
print what you said in video. I'm particularly interested in the href/goto
statements you made. The hour's effort you put into writing this piece will
repay itself many times over, as the magazine (a mere 12-pages to start)
will be distributed at the Smalltalk Solutions/Linux World conference in
April.

Write the article, Giles.
Strike one against the empire.

Cheers,
Chris Cunnington

http://www.seasideparasol.com

Re: Your Webcast In Print -- Sigh...

Chris Cunnington-5
That was supposed to be a private message to Giles Bowkett.

Gaaaawd... Some days...

Re: Fwd: OSCON 2007 Call for Participation Ends Soon

Giles Bowkett
Gah! Whoops -- sorry Stephane -- missed this. I did it on a Mac, yup.

On 1/29/07, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes reallllllly coool.
> On which machine did you do it? a Mac ?
>
> Stef

Ramiro Diaz Trepat
I think Giles screencast is great and it is a excellent step forward
in the marketing of Seaside.
As Giles said, Rails has a company with a lot of background in
usability and design, called 37signals behind much of what they do,
particularly web site design.
I also have a little constructive comment to make.  I think the
screencast has more value judgements than concrete examples.  I don't
even know if that is the proper way to go on a screencast to be shown
to complete Seaside neophytes on our evangelic mission :)  But, IMHO,
I would put more beans in the soup.