Fwd: On the OTDebugger...

Stéphane Ducasse
So we should proceed that way:
        - Put a big warning + the expression to switch debugger in the pharo-
dev
        - then we follow what dale is saying
                - I will produce a list of important features we need to have
                        -- copy stack
                        -- chase pointer
                        ... in OT

Is is ok for your community?

Stef

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 3, 2009 6:57:36 PM CEST
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: On the OTDebugger...
>
> Steph,
>
> This note isn't about your 'disable OB-debugger for now message',
> but it is a response, of sorts to the ensuing discussion.
>
> If you want a '120% debugger' then folks working on Pharo need to
> use the debugger and eat their own dogfood. It's the only way to
> ensure that a tool like the debugger gets enough coverage to ensure
> that it is stable. With that said, I wouldn't want to commit to
> using a tool that was broken or that I couldn't depend upon.
>
> With that in mind, I am willing to commit to the following things:
>
> 1. fix any bugs or implement any features that are deemed as show
> stoppers with the current OTDebugger - i.e., the things that are
> preventing folks from getting work done today.
>
> 2. I also promise a quick response to any show stopper bugs that
> folks come across while doing development with the OTDebugger (or
> any other of the OB-Tools).
>
> I came to maintain the OB-Tools through the 'back door'. I use a
> branch the OB-Tools in GLASS and have decided to maintain the OB-
> Tools for the Squeak/Pharo community as a way to contribute back to
> the community. What that means specifically is that next to Lukas, I
> probably know more about the OB-Tools than anyone else, however, I
> don't have a laundry list of features that need to be added to the
> debugger.
>
> I could go through the Squeak debugger and duplicate all of the
> 'missing features', but my personal sense is that some of those
> features aren't useful - I know that I have not even read all of the
> menu items in the old Squeak debugger, let alone tried to figure out
> what they do...
>
> Getting a list of important/missing features from a small group is
> important to me (at least at the start). I don't have a personal
> sense of "what's missing" from the current OTDebugger, since I have
> not used the old Squeak debugger extensively. So getting feedback
> from "old hands" is important, but I also know that I won't be able
> to respond correctly to a general query for "what's missing from the
> debugger?"
>
> For direction towards the "120% debugger", I think it makes sense
> that you and rest of the Pharo leadership team make a list of
> "debugger franchise features" - i.e., a list of features that are a
> must have for the Pharo debugger and the other OB-Tools as well
> (BTW, if that list is to "duplicate all of the 'missing features'"
> then that's fine and I'm willing to do it).
>
> The debugger along with browsers are the face of the development
> environment and I don't want to bloat the debugger without at least
> a second opinion and I trust the opinions of you and the rest of the
> Pharo leadership team.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dale

Re: Fwd: On the OTDebugger...

Alexandre Bergel
Ok for me.

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 4 Mar 2009, at 10:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> [...]
>> not used the old Squeak debugger extensively. So getting feedback
>> from "old hands" is important, but I also know that I won't be able
>> to respond correctly to a general query for "what's missing from the
>> debugger?"
>>
>> For direction towards the "120% debugger", I think it makes sense
>> that you and rest of the Pharo leadership team make a list of
>> "debugger franchise features" - i.e., a list of features that are a
>> must have for the Pharo debugger and the other OB-Tools as well
>> (BTW, if that list is to "duplicate all of the 'missing features'"
>> then that's fine and I'm willing to do it).
>>
>> The debugger along with browsers are the face of the development
>> environment and I don't want to bloat the debugger without at least
>> a second opinion and I trust the opinions of you and the rest of the

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Fwd: On the OTDebugger...

Damien Cassou
Ok

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> not used the old Squeak debugger extensively. So getting feedback
>>> from "old hands" is important, but I also know that I won't be able
>>> to respond correctly to a general query for "what's missing from the
>>> debugger?"
>>>
>>> For direction towards the "120% debugger", I think it makes sense
>>> that you and rest of the Pharo leadership team make a list of
>>> "debugger franchise features" - i.e., a list of features that are a
>>> must have for the Pharo debugger and the other OB-Tools as well
>>> (BTW, if that list is to "duplicate all of the 'missing features'"
>>> then that's fine and I'm willing to do it).
>>>
>>> The debugger along with browsers are the face of the development
>>> environment and I don't want to bloat the debugger without at least
>>> a second opinion and I trust the opinions of you and the rest of the

Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Fwd: On the OTDebugger...

cedreek
I totally agree.

2009/3/4 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> So we should proceed that way:
>        - Put a big warning + the expression to switch debugger in the pharo-
> dev
>        - then we follow what dale is saying
>                - I will produce a list of important features we need to have
>                        -- copy stack
>                        -- chase pointer
>                        ... in OT

some raw ideas...

- "implement in"    when dnu
- switchable pre-debug window
- consistent way of changing var values (+ refreshing)
- toggling haltOnce or equivalent from within the debugger
--- putting break points (or return points) in the debugger
- slow proceed - step by step at low speed just to see the execution
and eventually pause it wherever we want
- ...
- something I find annoying (but might be a bad use of debugger) is
when iterating over a collection, I go into the internal of the
collection loop, and have to click "into" when the debugger is at the
"value:" of the internal implementation... Is it me ?
-...

We could even enforce the debugger as the "writing code" tool... which
is possible but tricky for now...

Cheers,

> [...]
>> not used the old Squeak debugger extensively. So getting feedback
>> from "old hands" is important, but I also know that I won't be able
>> to respond correctly to a general query for "what's missing from the
>> debugger?"
>>
>> For direction towards the "120% debugger", I think it makes sense
>> that you and rest of the Pharo leadership team make a list of
>> "debugger franchise features" - i.e., a list of features that are a
>> must have for the Pharo debugger and the other OB-Tools as well
>> (BTW, if that list is to "duplicate all of the 'missing features'"
>> then that's fine and I'm willing to do it).
>>
>> The debugger along with browsers are the face of the development
>> environment and I don't want to bloat the debugger without at least
>> a second opinion and I trust the opinions of you and the rest of the

Cédrick

Re: Fwd: On the OTDebugger...

Dale

----- "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| So we should proceed that way:
| - Put a big warning + the expression to switch debugger in the pharo-
|
| dev
| - then we follow what dale is saying
| - I will produce a list of important features we need to have
| -- copy stack
| -- chase pointer
| ... in OT

For 'copy stack', check out 'error report' in OB-Tools-dkh.65. Part of the error report is a stack dump ... I could change the name and/or produce only a stack.

Dale

Re: Fwd: On the OTDebugger...

Stéphane Ducasse
n it is ok
I just tried to remember what I could not find the last time.
Do you have run thru caret?

stef

On Mar 4, 2009, at 6:10 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> ----- "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | So we should proceed that way:
> | - Put a big warning + the expression to switch debugger in the
> pharo-
> |
> | dev
> | - then we follow what dale is saying
> | - I will produce a list of important features we need to have
> | -- copy stack
> | -- chase pointer
> | ... in OT
>
> For 'copy stack', check out 'error report' in OB-Tools-dkh.65. Part
> of the error report is a stack dump ... I could change the name and/
> or produce only a stack.
>
> Dale

Re: Fwd: On the OTDebugger...

Dale

----- "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| n it is ok
| I just tried to remember what I could not find the last time.
| Do you have run thru caret?

Yes...the menu label is 'run to cursor'... I'm not wedded to names either (I'm actually pretty bad in coming up with names in general:).

Dale