Fwd: OverlyComplex

Stéphane Ducasse

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Ken.Dickey" <[hidden email]>
> Date: August 18, 2009 8:36:53 PM CEDT
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: OverlyComplex
>
> Greetings,
>
> I have done a brief write up of Complex issues that most concern me
> and opened
> ISSUE 1072: OverlyComplex.
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1072
>

> Note that there are to be three proposals:
>   removeComplex   [Issue OverlyComplex]
>   basicComplex
>   extendedComplex
>
> SLICE-remove-Complex, the first of the three changesets, has been
> added to
> PharoInbox as per
>   http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute
>
> I logged on to Pharo's Google Wiki but fail to see how to add a
> topic/page.
> Can some kind soul help me out?
>
> Again, I am new to your processes, so any help/suggestions/info are
> welcomed.
>
> Thanks much,
> -KenD

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

Igor Stasenko
Stef, is this an invitation to continue discussion?

I could continue.. but i and Wilhelm already stated multiple times, why
we think its a wrong way of doing things.
I am all hands for having a good Complex support to Pharo, Squeak &
smalltalk in general, but
just do it in non-intrusive way.

I don't want to be peevish here, but things like:

>>Note that there is no attempt to change oddities of Smalltalk syntax.
>>E.g.
>>  (3 + 1/2i) -->  (0 - 2i)  NOT  (3 + (1/2)i)

indicating that Ken don't realizing completely what is Smalltalk.
I don't understand why man, who defending the consistency of math capabilities,
on other side seems against consistency of syntax , language, class
hierarchy & putting in danger
all code which using math functions written so far.

Smalltalk is not MatLab nor Lisp/Scheme.
I fell sorry, that my arguments seem were not convincing to Ken.

2009/8/18 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: "Ken.Dickey" <[hidden email]>
>> Date: August 18, 2009 8:36:53 PM CEDT
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: OverlyComplex
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have done a brief write up of Complex issues that most concern me
>> and opened
>> ISSUE 1072: OverlyComplex.
>>
>>   http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1072
>>

>> Note that there are to be three proposals:
>>   removeComplex   [Issue OverlyComplex]
>>   basicComplex
>>   extendedComplex
>>
>> SLICE-remove-Complex, the first of the three changesets, has been
>> added to
>> PharoInbox as per
>>   http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute
>>
>> I logged on to Pharo's Google Wiki but fail to see how to add a
>> topic/page.
>> Can some kind soul help me out?
>>
>> Again, I am new to your processes, so any help/suggestions/info are
>> welcomed.
>>
>> Thanks much,
>> -KenD

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

Stéphane Ducasse
I sent this mail since I just send automatically private email related
to pharo to the mailing-list.
I do not want to have hidden discussions.

Now my take on the discussion is the following:
        - it was a bit too long and the consensus is not really reached so
these changes are 'suspicious'
        - may be removing complex is a good idea.
        - I see that introducing < is not really a good point (from your
discussion)

So I suggest that either we remove complex or we keep it as it is and
there is a ExtendedComplex package outside.
Let me know if my summary makes sense. At least this is the gut
feeling I got.
Stef

On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:42 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Stef, is this an invitation to continue discussion?
>
> I could continue.. but i and Wilhelm already stated multiple times,
> why
> we think its a wrong way of doing things.
> I am all hands for having a good Complex support to Pharo, Squeak &
> smalltalk in general, but
> just do it in non-intrusive way.
>
> I don't want to be peevish here, but things like:
>
>>> Note that there is no attempt to change oddities of Smalltalk
>>> syntax.
>>> E.g.
>>> (3 + 1/2i) -->  (0 - 2i)  NOT  (3 + (1/2)i)
>
> indicating that Ken don't realizing completely what is Smalltalk.
> I don't understand why man, who defending the consistency of math
> capabilities,
> on other side seems against consistency of syntax , language, class
> hierarchy & putting in danger
> all code which using math functions written so far.
>
> Smalltalk is not MatLab nor Lisp/Scheme.
> I fell sorry, that my arguments seem were not convincing to Ken.
>
> 2009/8/18 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: "Ken.Dickey" <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: August 18, 2009 8:36:53 PM CEDT
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: OverlyComplex
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I have done a brief write up of Complex issues that most concern me
>>> and opened
>>> ISSUE 1072: OverlyComplex.
>>>
>>>   http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1072
>>>

>>> Note that there are to be three proposals:
>>>   removeComplex   [Issue OverlyComplex]
>>>   basicComplex
>>>   extendedComplex
>>>
>>> SLICE-remove-Complex, the first of the three changesets, has been
>>> added to
>>> PharoInbox as per
>>>   http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute
>>>
>>> I logged on to Pharo's Google Wiki but fail to see how to add a
>>> topic/page.
>>> Can some kind soul help me out?
>>>
>>> Again, I am new to your processes, so any help/suggestions/info are
>>> welcomed.
>>>
>>> Thanks much,
>>> -KenD

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

csrabak

Yes, and besides (from the traffic in this list), IMNHO too little people participated to claim any consensus.

Giving the main goals for Pharo, removing Complex by now is an idea I also vote for.

This way the Complex>>< discussion gets postponed for a more specific package centric one (which I undertand will happen in the wiki).

Em 18/08/2009 18:56, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> [...]

>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: OverlyComplex
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I have done a brief write up of Complex issues that most concern me
>>> and opened
>>> ISSUE 1072: OverlyComplex.
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1072
>>>

>>> Note that there are to be three proposals:
>>> removeComplex [Issue OverlyComplex]
>>> basicComplex
>>> extendedComplex
>>>
>>> SLICE-remove-Complex, the first of the three changesets, has been
>>> added to
>>> PharoInbox as per
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute
>>>
>>> I logged on to Pharo's Google Wiki but fail to see how to add a
>>> topic/page.
>>> Can some kind soul help me out?
>>>
>>> Again, I am new to your processes, so any help/suggestions/info are

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

Igor Stasenko
If its a pain in the ass for someone with current Complex - remove it.
But then you have to ready the answer to people who using it already.
I didn't used complex numbers in squeak so far, so my voice couldn't count.

2009/8/19  <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, and besides (from the traffic in this list), IMNHO too little people
> participated to claim any consensus.
>
> Giving the main goals for Pharo, removing Complex by now is an idea I also
> vote for.
>
> This way the Complex>>< discussion gets postponed for a more specific
> package centric one (which I undertand will happen in the wiki).
>

> Em 18/08/2009 18:56, Stéphane Ducasse < [hidden email] >
> escreveu:
>
> I sent this mail since I just send automatically private email related
> to pharo to the mailing-list.
> I do not want to have hidden discussions.
>
> Now my take on the discussion is the following:
> - it was a bit too long and the consensus is not really reached so
> these changes are 'suspicious'
> - may be removing complex is a good idea.
> - I see that introducing < is not really a good point (from your
> discussion)
>
> So I suggest that either we remove complex or we keep it as it is and
> there is a ExtendedComplex package outside.
> Let me know if my summary makes sense. At least this is the gut
> feeling I got.
> Stef
>

> On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:42 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> Stef, is this an invitation to continue discussion?
>>
>> I could continue.. but i and Wi lhelm already stated multiple times,
>> why
>> we think its a wrong way of doing things.
>> I am all hands for having a good Complex support to Pharo, Squeak &
>> smalltalk in general, but
>> just do it in non-intrusive way.
>>
>> I don't want to be peevish here, but things like:

>> indicating that Ken don't realizing completely what is Smalltalk.
>> I don't understand why man, who defending the consistency of math
>> capabilities,
>> on other side seems against consistency of syntax , language, class
>> hierarchy & putting in danger
>> all code which using math functions written so far.
>>
>> Smalltalk is not MatLab nor Lisp/Scheme.
>> I fe ll sorry, that my arguments seem were not convincing to Ken.
>>
>> 2009/8/18 Stéphane Ducasse :
>>>

>>> Begin forwarded message:

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>>
>> _________ ______________________________________

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

+1

Bill

Stef, is this an invitation to continue discussion?

I could continue.. but i and Wilhelm already stated multiple times, why we think its a wrong way of doing things.
I am all hands for having a good Complex support to Pharo, Squeak & smalltalk in general, but just do it in non-intrusive way.

I don't want to be peevish here, but things like:

>>Note that there is no attempt to change oddities of Smalltalk syntax.
>>E.g.
>>  (3 + 1/2i) -->  (0 - 2i)  NOT  (3 + (1/2)i)

indicating that Ken don't realizing completely what is Smalltalk.
I don't understand why man, who defending the consistency of math capabilities, on other side seems against consistency of syntax , language, class hierarchy & putting in danger all code which using math functions written so far.

Smalltalk is not MatLab nor Lisp/Scheme.
I fell sorry, that my arguments seem were not convincing to Ken.

2009/8/18 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: "Ken.Dickey" <[hidden email]>
>> Date: August 18, 2009 8:36:53 PM CEDT
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: OverlyComplex
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have done a brief write up of Complex issues that most concern me
>> and opened ISSUE 1072: OverlyComplex.
>>
>>   http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1072
>>

>> Note that there are to be three proposals:
>>   removeComplex   [Issue OverlyComplex]
>>   basicComplex
>>   extendedComplex
>>
>> SLICE-remove-Complex, the first of the three changesets, has been
>> added to PharoInbox as per
>>   http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute
>>
>> I logged on to Pharo's Google Wiki but fail to see how to add a
>> topic/page.
>> Can some kind soul help me out?
>>
>> Again, I am new to your processes, so any help/suggestions/info are
>> welcomed.
>>
>> Thanks much,
>> -KenD

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

KenDickey
Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
> Stef, is this an invitation to continue discussion?
From ISSUE 1072:    http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1072

The intent is that this issue, 1072, introduces some problems which motivate
SLICE-remove-Complex.

I intend to open two new issues to be paired with (unreleased)
SLICE-basic-Complex and SLICE-extended-Complex.

So I would prefer people to hold back discussions of other issues than removal
of Complex code until I open those issues.

Baby steps. OK?

So, this is an invitation to the discussion "Should the Complex class and
associated code be removed from Pharo-Core?".

This is NOT an invitation to a discussion of what is reasonable in an optional
Complex package.

> I don't want to be peevish here, but things like:
> >>Note that there is no attempt to change oddities of Smalltalk syntax.
> >>E.g.
> >>  (3 + 1/2i) -->  (0 - 2i)  NOT  (3 + (1/2)i)
>
> indicating that Ken don't realizing completely what is Smalltalk.

I indicated that I know the Smalltalk syntax by knowing that
  (3 + 1/2i) -->  (0 - 2i)
and indicating I would _not_ change that.

Smalltalk syntax is certainly confusing to people which come from other
languages which parse 1/2i as a number, which is why I pointed it out -- for
people who don't know the Smalltalk parse strategy.

I presume that you _do_ want users to switch to Smalltalk from other
languages!  Yes?

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

csrabak

Em 18/08/2009 20:23, Ken.Dickey < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>> Stef, is this an invitation to continue discussion?
> From ISSUE 1072: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1072
>
> The intent is that this issue, 1072, introduces some problems which motivate
> SLICE-remove-Complex.
>
> I intend to open two new issues to be paired with (unreleased)
> SLICE-basic-Complex and SLICE-extended-Complex.
>
> So I would prefer people to hold back discussions of other issues than removal
> of Complex code until I open those issues.
>
> Baby steps. OK?
>
> So, this is an invitation to the discussion "Should the Complex class and
> associated code be removed from Ph aro-Core?".

Yes.

> This is NOT an invitation to a discussion of what is reasonable in an optional
> Complex package.

>> I don't want to be peevish here, but things like:
>>
>> indicating that Ken don't realizing completely what is Smalltalk.

Well, this comment was not really a inspired one, when I saw it I also had hitches to post a question to Igor to understand what was the complaint...

Also, Etoys already did somenthing about changing the syntax for mathematical operations http://www.squeakland.org/download/releaseNotes.jsp

> I presume that you _do_ want users to switch to Smalltalk from other
> languages! Yes?

Ken,

Presently the driver for choosing a new platform is not only the language (here understood as the syntax of it).

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

Igor Stasenko
2009/8/19 Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]>:

> Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>> Stef, is this an invitation to continue discussion?
> From ISSUE 1072:    http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1072
>
> The intent is that this issue, 1072, introduces some problems which motivate
> SLICE-remove-Complex.
>
> I intend to open two new issues to be paired with (unreleased)
> SLICE-basic-Complex and SLICE-extended-Complex.
>
> So I would prefer people to hold back discussions of other issues than removal
> of Complex code until I open those issues.
>
> Baby steps. OK?
>
> So, this is an invitation to the discussion "Should the Complex class and
> associated code be removed from Pharo-Core?".
>
> This is NOT an invitation to a discussion of what is reasonable in an optional
> Complex package.

>> I don't want to be peevish here, but things like:
>>
>> indicating that Ken don't realizing completely what is Smalltalk.
>
> I indicated that I know the Smalltalk syntax by knowing that
>  (3 + 1/2i) -->  (0 - 2i)
> and indicating I would _not_ change that.
>
> Smalltalk syntax is certainly confusing to people which come from other
> languages which parse 1/2i as a number, which is why I pointed it out -- for
> people who don't know the Smalltalk parse strategy.
>
> I presume that you _do_ want users to switch to Smalltalk from other
> languages!  Yes?

sure i want.
I had discovered smalltalk maybe 4 years ago. Before that i knew
nothing about smalltalk but already had a programming
experience more than a 15 years.
But i never, never had a thought to call smalltalk syntax odd. It is
most simple & consistent computer language syntax ever designed.
I having much more reasons to call a math precedence rules odd,
because they are many and you need to learn them and you spending a
countless hours in school to learn them.
If you remember your childhood - how many pupils (including you) , who
had to study math found the math precedence rules odd, confusing and
hard to grok them?

Compare Roman numeric system with Arabic. Why do you think, a
middle-age Europeans and then whole world started using Arabic numeric
system instead of Roman?
The problem here is with a pattern which sits deep in your brains and
preventing you to understand a much more simpler and easy to master
concept(s).

> -KenD

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

Igor Stasenko
2009/8/19  <[hidden email]>:

> Em 18/08/2009 20:23, Ken.Dickey < [hidden email] > escreveu:
>
>> Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>>> Stef, is this an invitation to continue discussion?
>> From ISSUE 1072: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1072
>>
>> The intent is that this issue, 1072, introduces some problems which
>> motivate
>> SLICE-remove-Complex.
>>
>> I intend to open two new issues to be paired with (unreleased)
>> SLICE-basic-Complex and SLICE-extended-Complex.
>>
>> So I would prefer people to hold back discussions of other issues than
>> removal
>> of Complex code until I open those issues.
>>
>> Baby steps. OK?
>>
>> So, this is an invitation to the discussion "Should the Complex class and
>> associated code be removed from Ph aro-Core?".
>
> Yes.
>

>> This is NOT an invitation to a discussion of what is reasonable in an
>> optional
>> Complex package.

>>> I don't want to be peevish here, but things like:
>>>
>>> indicating that Ken don't realizing completely what is Smalltalk.
>>

> Well, this comment was not really a inspired one, when I saw it I also had
> hitches to post a question to Igor to understand what was the complaint...

Because, to my sense, smalltalk having a few, brilliant concepts, and
one of them is uniform syntax rules.
If you start adding new rules - it is very likely that you'll make
things overly complex & redundant.
There are many studies showing that smalltalkers are times more
productive than developers who using
"industry" programming languages. Do you think they are all genious?
Or maybe there is something which
increasing their productivity?

Em 18/08/2009 22:25, Igor Stasenko < [hidden email] > escreveu:

>> Em 18/08/2009 20:23, Ken.Dickey < [hidden email] > escreveu:

[snipped]

>> Well, this comment was not really a inspired one, when I saw it I also had
>> hitches to post a question to Igor to understand what was the complaint...
>>

>Because, to my sense, smalltalk having a few, brilliant concepts, and
>one of them is uniform syntax rules.

I agree 99.9%.

>If you start adding new rules - it is very likely that you'll make
>things overly complex & redundant.

Is a risk all languages that evolve and attempt to be all encompassing run into, and again I'm with you on attemting to avoid this deadly downward spiral.

>There are many studies showing that smalltalkers are times more
>productive than developers who using
>"industry" programming languages. Do you think they are all genious?

I don't want to rain in your party, but I work with benchmarking of application development for more than ten years and I have to inform you that this statement does not stand.

Perhaps when Smalltalk was near its inception and other platforms were in their infancy this kind of rept could be called by smalltalkers when buiding complex GUI apps, but right now there is no headway for Smalltalk...

Today, due the minute participation of Smalltalk in world production of new funcionality, you cannot find in any commercial or publicly available database on productivity (like ISBSG http://www.isbsg.org/) it mentioned by itself, but only lumped as OTHER 4GL).

For a more or less uptodate and public reference, give a look at http://www.qsm.com/?q=resources/function-point-languages-table/index.html

>Or maybe there is something which
>increasing their productivity?

As you make the rept "are they all genious", I counter with: would you accept/believe that all managers who're responsible for development worldwide are "pointed haired bosses" which cannot discover if such a thing as 'silver bullet' existed?

Most productivity is obtained due discipline, processes, trained and motivated people, and one of the last factors is programming language syntax. Programming language technology obviously has a role, otherwise it would be indifferent programming in (say) Smalltalk, versus (say) assembly.

HTH

--

Cesar Rabak

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

Miguel Cobá
El mié, 19-08-2009 a las 00:04 -0300, [hidden email] escribió:

> Em 18/08/2009 22:25, Igor Stasenko < [hidden email] > escreveu:
>
> >> Em 18/08/2009 20:23, Ken.Dickey < [hidden email] >
> escreveu:
> >>
> [snipped]

> syntax.

> >> Well, this comment was not really a inspired one, when I saw it I
> also had
> >> hitches to post a question to Igor to understand what was the
> complaint...
> >>

> >Because, to my sense, smalltalk having a few, brilliant concepts, and
> >one of them is uniform syntax rules.
>
> I agree 99.9%.
>
> >If you start adding new rules - it is very likely that you'll make
> >things overly complex & redundant.
>
> Is a risk all languages that evolve and attempt to be all encompassing
> run into, and again I'm with you on attemting to avoid this deadly
> downward spiral.
>
> >There are many studies showing that smalltalkers are times more
> >productive than developers who using
> >"industry" programming languages. Do you think they are all genious?
>
> I don't want to rain in your party, but I work with benchmarking of
> application development for more than ten years and I have to inform
> you that this statement does not stand.
>
> Perhaps when Smalltalk was near its inception and other platforms were
> in their infancy this kind of rept could be called by smalltalkers
> when buiding complex GUI apps, but right now there is no headway for
> Smalltalk...

Maybe you can tell us how much time would you estimate for a java (or
better yet, c++) version of Seaside or maybe of GLORP, that were made
for a significant part of their initial life for a single person.

I *am* times more productive in Smalltalk than in Java or PHP or C, even
if I can not show an *enterprise* benchmark the kind of ones that Garner
and friends so happily like to show in magazines and flyers.

So, a lot of people here can attest that indeed it is more productive to
work in Smalltalk taht in other languages, and that is the reason why
this *myth* persist. Maybe subjective, maybe not. We know that when we
work in Smalltalk and think how much more time/work/effort/boredom will
take to do the same on other languages.

> Today, due the minute participation of Smalltalk in world production
> of new funcionality, you cannot find in any commercial or publicly
> available database on productivity (like ISBSG http://www.isbsg.org/)
> it mentioned by itself, but only lumped as OTHER 4GL).
>
> For a more or less uptodate and public reference, give a look at
> http://www.qsm.com/?q=resources/function-point-languages-table/index.html

WTF. From the page:

What is a gearing factor? The gearing factor is simply the average
number of Source Lines of Code (SLOC) per function point in the
completed project.  It is calculated by dividing the final code count
for a completed project by the final function point count. SLOC counts
are logical, not physical line counts.

Nuts, is this how the *enterprise* projects are evaluated?
That is absolute non-sense. What is the difference between logical and
physical line counts?

> >Or maybe there is something which
> >increasing their productivity?
>
> As you make the rept "are they all genious", I counter with: would you
> accept/believe that all managers who're responsible for development
> worldwide are "pointed haired bosses" which cannot discover if such a
> thing as 'silver bullet' existed?
>
> Most productivity is obtained due discipline, processes, trained and
> motivated people, and one of the last factors is programming language
> syntax. Programming language technology obviously has a role,
> otherwise it would be indifferent programming in (say) Smalltalk,
> versus (say) assembly.

More non-sense, the process isn't a factor. The very same person can do
sometimes the same work in a week or in a night with coffee.
WE ARE NOT machines producing nails in a predictable, constant over
time, unaffected by personal affairs. This factory model doesn't work
and has never worked. And the ever increasing complexity and irreal
methods created to try to measure people are a sad result of this way of
thinking.
I believe that the work we do is more akin to the artistic disciplines.
Will you try to measure the work done by a musician? or a painter?
That is why the pointed haired bosses depiction and Dilbert cartoons are
so popular.

> HTH
>
> --
>
> Cesar Rabak

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

KenDickey
From:
"Ellen.Dickey" <[hidden email]>  (occasional)
  To:
[hidden email]
  Date:
Yesterday 08:38:13 pm
>>Note that there is no attempt to change oddities of Smalltalk syntax.

I apologize to the list for calling Smalltalk syntax "odd".

Coming from Scheme, I certainly know better.

I am certainly for minimalist syntax.

I prefer (< lowBound x highBound) to ((lowBound < x) && (x < highBound))
and (+ 1/2 1/3 1/6)  to  (1/2) + (1/3) + (1/6)

What can I say, I am lazy and a bad typist.

Note that Scheme has zero (count 'em 0) precedence rules and 3+1/2i parses as
a single number, not three numbers, two math "operations" and a coercion.

I did mention that I am only an occasional Smalltalk user and I have used a
lot of programming languages.

Also, I am used to posting to systems which let me preview and exit my
postings.  This was a draft.

Again, I apologize.

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

csrabak
> El mié, 19-08-2009 a las 00:04 -0300, [hidden email] escribió:
Miguel,

> > escreveu:

[snipped]
[snipped]

> Maybe you can tell us how much time would you estimate for a java (or
> better yet, c++) version of Seaside or maybe of GLORP, that were made
> for a significant part of their initial life for a single person.

This kind of repts have been used for year to attempt to prove a
lot of non provable things: a similar argument was used to
attempt to "demonstrate" that Linus Torvalds could have written
the kernel for Linux [which applies for the requirement of
yours "...significant part of their initial life for a single
person."]

Other languages/technologies all have histories, but see: this in
logic is considered the fallacy of cherry picking, where an
interesting and sufficiently high profile case can be shown
off (a famous one is the developmet of the Viaweb site
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viaweb]).

The issue about productivity and discussions about differences
thereof due languages is the _average_ productivity for the mass
of active users.

> I *am* times more productive in Smalltalk than in Java or PHP or C, even
> if I can not show an *enterprise* benchmark the kind of ones that Garner
> and friends so happily like to show in magazines and flyers.

I don't deny you can be, as I am.  I can tell why it is in my case.

If you and we cannot show hard data on an *enterprise*
benchmark (I represent in this country one of the friends and
used to work to the mentioned) you'll a *lot* of difficulty on
convincing companies to embrace this technology.

> So, a lot of people here can attest that indeed it is more productive to
> work in Smalltalk taht in other languages, and that is the reason why
> this *myth* persist. Maybe subjective, maybe not. We know that when we
> work in Smalltalk and think how much more time/work/effort/boredom will
> take to do the same on other languages.

My contribution to this debate is that if we don't bring
demonstrable data to become facts, we will continue to be heard
as some kind of hacker of a wacky or semi-defunct
language (depending upon the thoughts of the listener).

> > Today, due the minute participation of Smalltalk in world production
> > of new funcionality, you cannot find in any commercial or publicly
> > available database on productivity (like ISBSG http://www.isbsg.org/)
> > it mentioned by itself, but only lumped as OTHER 4GL).
> >
> > For a more or less uptodate and public reference, give a look at
> > http://www.qsm.com/?q=resources/function-point-languages-table/index.html
> >

> WTF. From the page:
>
> What is a gearing factor? The gearing factor is simply the average
> number of Source Lines of Code (SLOC) per function point in the
> completed project. It is calculated by dividing the final code count
> for a completed project by the final function point count. SLOC counts
> are logical, not physical line counts.
>
> Nuts, is this how the *enterprise* projects are evaluated?
> That is absolute non-sense. What is the difference between logical and
> physical line counts?

The main point of the text you read is that the evaluations
should be done asap in IFPUG Funtion Points or similar
metric. The proviso thy put there is to allow different coding
practices to be accomodated without inflating the outcomes. A lot
of languages allow more than a logical statement to put in a
single line, or for aesthetical reasons break a single statement
in more than a single line.

> > >Or maybe there is something which
> > >increasing their productivity?
> >
> > As you make the rept "are they all genious", I counter with: would you
> > accept/believe that all managers who're responsible for development
> > worldwide are "pointed haired bosses" which cannot discover if such a
> > thing as 'silver bullet' existed?
> >
> > Most productivity is obtained due discipline, processes, trained and
> > motivated people, and one of the last factors is programming language
> > syntax. Programming language technology obviously has a role,
> > otherwise it would be indifferent programming in (say) Smalltalk,
> > versus (say) assembly.
>
> More non-sense, the process isn't a factor. The very same person can do
> sometimes the same work in a week or in a night with coffee.

A single *task* yes!
A complete project like the Pharo revamp of a renewed Squeak *not*!

That's where processes come into play and modify the outcomes.

> WE ARE NOT machines producing nails in a predictable, constant over
> time, unaffected by personal affairs. This factory model doesn't work
> and has never worked. And the ever increasing complexity and irreal
> methods created to try to measure people are a sad result of this way of
> thinking.

Agreed. It is not for this that development processes are for. It
would become out topic here so I refrain of further discussion.

> I believe that the work we do is more akin to the artistic disciplines.

This kind of thinking is an attempt to evade the necessary
debate.  Most of software development is not of pure conception
but turning into some usable artifact the conception. I would
quote T.A.Edison on his saying about "1% inspiration and 99%
transpiration.", processes is to make us more productive in 99%
part of the job!

> Will you try to measure the work done by a musician? or a painter?

When [s]he is composing, probably not (but: get a look at the
Movie and Advertising industries), when they're playing or the
painter is applying the picture in church's roof, *yes*.

> That is why the pointed haired bosses depiction and Dilbert cartoons are
> so popular.

I agree they are popular, but remember that geeks and nerd
depictions are also popular!

Regards,

--
Cesar Rabak

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

Miguel Cobá
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 9:55 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> El mié, 19-08-2009 a las 00:04 -0300, [hidden email] escribió:
> Miguel,

>> > escreveu:
>> > >>
> [snipped]
> [snipped]
>>
>> Maybe you can tell us how much time would you estimate for a java (or
>> better yet, c++) version of Seaside or maybe of GLORP, that were made
>> for a significant part of their initial life for a single person.
>>

> This kind of repts have been used for year to attempt to prove a
> lot of non provable things: a similar argument was used to
> attempt to "demonstrate" that Linus Torvalds could have written
> the kernel for Linux [which applies for the requirement of
> yours "...significant part of their initial life for a single
> person."]
>
> Other languages/technologies all have histories, but see: this in
> logic is considered the fallacy of cherry picking, where an
> interesting and sufficiently high profile case can be shown
> off (a famous one is the developmet of the Viaweb site
> [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viaweb]).

Well maybe you are right, maybe not. More examples that were never
*managed* in an enterprise way:

Non-commercial:
Ruby On Rails
Tomcat
Apache web server
FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD
Squeak
Pharo

Commercial:
Amazon
Facebook
Google
37signals.com

Failed ones, well  a lot more than can be described, although they are
almost never publicly mentioned.
Lots of project from Consulting houses using *enterprise* products as
ERP and processes like RUP (and
others even more "proved"), with ISO certifications on processes have
failed espectacularly. Here in my work, at least
3 projects done by external consulting firms have failed and took a
lot more time and resources than the initially
estimated.
Also the poor souls that they bring to work in the project keep
changing every 2 or 3 month (burned by the pressure and the
impossible deadlines), and we have had 3 managers for one of these
projects. So, yes, I have a very bad impression.
Maybe it is just bad luck. Who knows? My friends on other places tell
similar stories.

So, as you say, nothing can be take for granted on a project both
*managed* and *unmanaged* projects
can fail, but the fact that a lot of unmanaged projects succeed, makes
me wonder of the usefulness of the
enterprise *ways* of work.

But, lets no start a flame here. I respect your opinion about
*managed* projects and have my opinion about *unmanaged*
projects. The enterprise world will never change.

> The issue about productivity and discussions about differences
> thereof due languages is the _average_ productivity for the mass
> of active users.
>
>> I *am* times more productive in Smalltalk than in Java or PHP or C, even
>> if I can not show an *enterprise* benchmark the kind of ones that Garner
>> and friends so happily like to show in magazines and flyers.
>>

> I don't deny you can be, as I am.  I can tell why it is in my case.
>
> If you and we cannot show hard data on an *enterprise*
> benchmark (I represent in this country one of the friends and
> used to work to the mentioned) you'll a *lot* of difficulty on
> convincing companies to embrace this technology.

I am 100% agree with you, sadly that it what the "pointed haired
bosses" want to save its asses
in the case a project fails. That way they at least can say that it
was not because of a bad
technology election. How the say goes? Nobody has been fired for choosing IBM?
Now you have ISO900*, RUSP, SAP, oracle, etc. :)

>> So, a lot of people here can attest that indeed it is more productive to
>> work in Smalltalk taht in other languages, and that is the reason why
>> this *myth* persist. Maybe subjective, maybe not. We know that when we
>> work in Smalltalk and think how much more time/work/effort/boredom will
>> take to do the same on other languages.
>>

> My contribution to this debate is that if we don't bring
> demonstrable data to become facts, we will continue to be heard
> as some kind of hacker of a wacky or semi-defunct
> language (depending upon the thoughts of the listener).

But hey, that is not a goal of the smalltalk community, to appeal and
to be the first
option for a new project as the java guys, for example, want.
We know that there are right tools for each problem in hand. The Pharo project
has a goal of be a platform for enterprise apps, but that is different
to want to
be *the* platform for enterprise apps. Take the case of ruby on rails
(and dynamic languages too),
5 years ago it was crazy to even propose them on a meeting for a new
project. Now even SUN
is sponsoring them on their vm. Times changes, and with time (and even
more with the apropriate marketing)
the technologies will reach the key people on enterprises and will be
an option, even if no metric
can be shown for them.

>> > Today, due the minute participation of Smalltalk in world production
>> > of new funcionality, you cannot find in any commercial or publicly
>> > available database on productivity (like ISBSG http://www.isbsg.org/)
>> > it mentioned by itself, but only lumped as OTHER 4GL).
>> >
>> > For a more or less uptodate and public reference, give a look at
>> > http://www.qsm.com/?q=resources/function-point-languages-table/index.html
>> >

>> WTF. From the page:
>>
>> What is a gearing factor? The gearing factor is simply the average
>> number of Source Lines of Code (SLOC) per function point in the
>> completed project. It is calculated by dividing the final code count
>> for a completed project by the final function point count. SLOC counts
>> are logical, not physical line counts.
>>
>> Nuts, is this how the *enterprise* projects are evaluated?
>> That is absolute non-sense. What is the difference between logical and
>> physical line counts?
>
> The main point of the text you read is that the evaluations
> should be done asap in IFPUG Funtion Points or similar
> metric. The proviso thy put there is to allow different coding
> practices to be accomodated without inflating the outcomes. A lot
> of languages allow more than a logical statement to put in a
> single line, or for aesthetical reasons break a single statement
> in more than a single line.

Yes, I know that, but my point is:
What that does show about a project?

A closure in Smalltalk it is more powerfull and usefull that 100 lines
of java code or 1000
lines of java code. But a the very same code could be produced in java
by using the
apropriate library and reduce the line count from 100 to 1. What does
that demonstrate?
That java is on par with smalltalk? That java it is not just 10 times
more productive than c++ but
but 1000 times better. I am exaggerating, I know that the numbers are
not used that way,
but you get my point: although the metrics are promoted as more
enterprisey, they aren't.
In a certain leve, they are arbitrary.

>> > As you make the rept "are they all genious", I counter with: would you
>> > accept/believe that all managers who're responsible for development
>> > worldwide are "pointed haired bosses" which cannot discover if such a
>> > thing as 'silver bullet' existed?
>> >
>> > Most productivity is obtained due discipline, processes, trained and
>> > motivated people, and one of the last factors is programming language
>> > syntax. Programming language technology obviously has a role,
>> > otherwise it would be indifferent programming in (say) Smalltalk,
>> > versus (say) assembly.
>>
>> More non-sense, the process isn't a factor. The very same person can do
>> sometimes the same work in a week or in a night with coffee.
>
> A single *task* yes!
> A complete project like the Pharo revamp of a renewed Squeak *not*!
>
> That's where processes come into play and modify the outcomes.
>
>> WE ARE NOT machines producing nails in a predictable, constant over
>> time, unaffected by personal affairs. This factory model doesn't work
>> and has never worked. And the ever increasing complexity and irreal
>> methods created to try to measure people are a sad result of this way of
>> thinking.
>
> Agreed. It is not for this that development processes are for. It
> would become out topic here so I refrain of further discussion.
>
>> I believe that the work we do is more akin to the artistic disciplines.
>
> This kind of thinking is an attempt to evade the necessary
> debate.  Most of software development is not of pure conception
> but turning into some usable artifact the conception. I would
> quote T.A.Edison on his saying about "1% inspiration and 99%
> transpiration.", processes is to make us more productive in 99%
> part of the job!
>

>> Will you try to measure the work done by a musician? or a painter?
>
> When [s]he is composing, probably not (but: get a look at the
> Movie and Advertising industries), when they're playing or the
> painter is applying the picture in church's roof, *yes*.
>
>> That is why the pointed haired bosses depiction and Dilbert cartoons are
>> so popular.
>
> I agree they are popular, but remember that geeks and nerd
> depictions are also popular!
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Cesar Rabak

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

csrabak

> Em 19/08/2009 15:41, Miguel Cobá < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 9:55 AM, wrote:
> >> El mié, 19-08-2009 a las 00:04 -0300, [hidden email] escribió:
> > Miguel,

> > [snipped] [snipped]
> >>
> >> Maybe you can tell us how much time would you estimate for a java
> >> (or better yet, c++) version of Seaside or maybe of GLORP, that
> >> were made for a significant part of their initial life for a single
> >> person.
> >>

> > This kind of repts have been used for year to attempt to prove a lot
> > of non provable things: a similar argument was used to attempt to
> > "demonstrate" that Linus Torvalds could have written the kernel for
> > Linux [which applies for the requirement of yours "...significant
> > part of their initial life for a single person."]
> >
> > Other languages/technologies all have histories, but see: this in
> > logic is considered the fallacy of cherry picking, where an
> > interesting and sufficiently high profile case can be shown off (a
> > famous one is the developmet of the Viaweb site
> > [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viaweb]).
>
> Well maybe you are right, maybe not. More examples that were never
> *managed* in an enterprise way:

As I already pointed out, this kind of "anedoctal evidence" is fallacious due the cherry picking nature, and the impossibility of comparing the outcomes in terms of all factors (including obiously the processes :-).

Yes, this is true state of affairs on our industry right now, but you can get some aggregate figures if you have access to reports like the Standish Chaos Report (http://www.standishgroup.com/), of which certain earlier versions exist in the web (http://www.cs.nmt.edu/~cs328/reading/Standish.pdf or http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/docs/chaos-report.pdf).

> Lots of project from Consulting
> houses using *enterprise* products as ERP and processes like RUP (and
> others even more "proved"), with ISO certifications on processes have
> failed espectacularly.

Yes, and when you do a Independent Validation and Verification you discover that a lot of root causes stem from the certified professionals tossing the procedures and processes!!

> Here in my work, at least 3 projects done by
> external consulting firms have failed and took a lot more time and
> resources than the initially estimated.

I've seen in my practice a large number of failed and a similar number of projects that succeeded (meaning in time, in budget and with overall functionality delivered near 100% of required and withing agreed quality level).

So the same way we don't want a failure of someone could attributed (solely) to the choice of Smalltalk (and later Pharo!), we should be more rigorous on the analysis of those 'failures'.

> Also the poor souls that they
> bring to work in the project keep changing every 2 or 3 month (burned
> by the pressure and the impossible deadlines), and we have had 3
> managers for one of these projects. So, yes, I have a very bad
> impression.  Maybe it is just bad luck. Who knows? My friends on other
> places tell similar stories.

Yes, and as soon you start of thinking about it, you'll see that the 'pressure' is 'accepted' tossing all the Body of Knowledge on how to do such things and then .hit happens...

> So, as you say, nothing can be take for granted on a project both
> *managed* and *unmanaged* projects
> can fail, but the fact that a lot of unmanaged projects succeed, makes
> me wonder of the usefulness of the enterprise *ways* of work.

No. What you've seen is that the declaration of success for a 'unmanaged' project (normally a successful Open Source one) is different from a 'managed' (more often than not a enterprise/commercial venture).

This another fallacy of comparing apples to oranges.

> But, lets no start a flame here. I respect your opinion about
> *managed* projects and have my opinion about *unmanaged*
> projects. The enterprise world will never change.

No my intent.  What I would like to bring to the community is this: if the goal of Pharo project is bring it (Smalltalk) to the enterprise, we must have a good understanding of what it means, and then understand what it takes to get there.

Hint: just saying Pharo [Smalltalk] is more productive will not cut!

> > The issue about productivity and discussions about differences
> > thereof due languages is the _average_ productivity for the mass of
> > active users.
> >
> >> I *am* times more productive in Smalltalk than in Java or PHP or C,
> >> even if I can not show an *enterprise* benchmark the kind of ones
> >> that Garner and friends so happily like to show in magazines and
> >> flyers.
> >>

> > I don't deny you can be, as I am.  I can tell why it is in my case.
> >
> > If you and we cannot show hard data on an *enterprise* benchmark (I
> > represent in this country one of the friends and used to work to the
> > mentioned) you'll a *lot* of difficulty on convincing companies to
> > embrace this technology.
> >

> I am 100% agree with you, sadly that it what the "pointed haired
> bosses" want to save its asses in the case a project fails. That way
> they at least can say that it was not because of a bad technology
> election. How the say goes? Nobody has been fired for choosing IBM?
> Now you have ISO900*, RUSP, SAP, oracle, etc. :)

Most of what we see as "...saving their asses" is in fact a managerial reaction to our engineering community incapacity to sustain its promises and even going to the tenth year of the XXI century we still have the same reports of overrun projects, etc.

> >> So, a lot of people here can attest that indeed it is more
> >> productive to work in Smalltalk taht in other languages, and that
> >> is the reason why this *myth* persist. Maybe subjective, maybe
> >> not. We know that when we work in Smalltalk and think how much more
> >> time/work/effort/boredom will take to do the same on other
> >> languages.
> >>

> > My contribution to this debate is that if we don't bring
> > demonstrable data to become facts, we will continue to be heard as
> > some kind of hacker of a wacky or semi-defunct language (depending
> > upon the thoughts of the listener).
>
> But hey, that is not a goal of the smalltalk community, to appeal and
> to be the first option for a new project as the java guys, for
> example, want.

Except if we want to compete in the single to small team space, if we stay in the sideline on this more and more our 'opportunities' will be have a powerful environment that should to .Net, connect to JNI, etc.

> We know that there are right tools for each problem in
> hand. The Pharo project has a goal of be a platform for enterprise
> apps, but that is different to want to be *the* platform for
> enterprise apps.

Yes I agree.

> Take the case of ruby on rails (and dynamic languages
> too), 5 years ago it was crazy to even propose them on a meeting for a
> new project. Now even SUN is sponsoring them on their vm. Times
> changes, and with time (and even more with the apropriate marketing)
> the technologies will reach the key people on enterprises and will be
> an option, even if no metric can be shown for them.

You can bet your favorite beer that Sun has enough data to back its offerings [and I don't want to recurse in a second discussion about the validity of them, which see, I'm not waiving]!

> >> WTF. From the page:
> >>
> >> What is a gearing factor? The gearing factor is simply the average
> >> number of Source Lines of Code (SLOC) per function point in the
> >> completed project. It is calculated by div iding the final code
> >> count for a completed project by the final function point
> >> count. SLOC counts are logical, not physical line counts.
> >>
> >> Nuts, is this how the *enterprise* projects are evaluated?  That is
> >> absolute non-sense. What is the difference between logical and
> >> physical line counts?
> >
> > The main point of the text you read is that the evaluations should
> > be done asap in IFPUG Funtion Points or similar metric. The proviso
> > thy put there is to allow different coding practices to be
> > accomodated without inflating the outcomes. A lot of languages allow
> > more than a logical statement to put in a single line, or for
> > aesthetical reasons break a single statement in more than a single
> > line.
> >
> Yes, I know that, but my point is: What t hat does show about a
> project?

It shows that for a lot of projects you can expect that productivity (rate of deliver) on the average (with some extremes captured in some tables as well) so you can do better estimates, which are root cause of a lot of, so declared, failure due overrun [w/proportional increase in cost].

> A closure in Smalltalk it is more powerfull and usefull that 100 lines
> of java code or 1000 lines of java code. But a the very same code
> could be produced in java by using the apropriate library and reduce
> the line count from 100 to 1. What does that demonstrate?  That java
> is on par with smalltalk?

Yes. If for getting at the business functionality a library call can avoid the writting of the code, you're done as we do in OPP reusing code from inherithed methods (of course it happens in Java which is OO, this is an example).

As powerful as closures are they'll be small part of an average commercial application, so quickly the advantage of them will be reduced in the averages.

> That java it is not just 10 times more
> productive than c++ but but 1000 times better. I am exaggerating, I
> know that the numbers are not used that way, but you get my point:
> although the metrics are promoted as more enterprisey, they aren't.
> In a certain leve, they are arbitrary.

I cannot grok your assertion above, from the number in the tables I cited you can see that C++ and Java are more or less similar.  These metrics are for "promotion", they were created to help companies to make decisions about these technologies based on real data.  Look that the companies that produce those tables are not connected with the providers of the technologies involved.

HTH

--

Cesar Rabak

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

KenDickey
> So, a lot of people here can attest that indeed it is more productive to
> work in Smalltalk than in other languages, and that is the reason why
> this *myth* persist. Maybe subjective, maybe not. We know that when we
> work in Smalltalk and think how much more time/work/effort/boredom will
> take to do the same on other languages.

There are two factors to consider here
  [1] Languages which do things well that others cannot
  [2] Best Management Practices

As for [2], I shared my experience with Extreme Programming
in http://xpdx.org/files/ExtremeSuccess

XP is not for every project, just every one I would want to work on.

I also noted that if you can't afford to fail, you need to use a Dynamic
Language such as Lisp, Scheme, or Smalltalk.  See [1].

If you can afford to fail, you can write it in any language.

I prefer to "cherry pick" things that work.

$0.02,
-KenD

PS: I will ba away from computers for a week.

-KenD

Re: Fwd: OverlyComplex

csrabak

Once you start managing a project by Extreme Practices, since the scope is not closed, only the resources, most of discussions about "project failure" change tint.

Cherry picking is not helpful to support any claim.  Itself being considered a kind of fallacy, it taints your discourse.