Fwd: PDF of Software Metrics

Stéphane Ducasse

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>
> Date: June 18, 2010 10:01:53 AM GMT+02:00
> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: PDF of Software Metrics
>
> What he was most interested in, was the C++ thresholds for the overview pyramid in Moose.
> Found those in an online presentation, so wasn't as pressing after all :)
> Is there any reason why only JavaThresholds are included/used by default, instead of being selected automatically based on what language your model originated from?
>
> On the bright side, he's found the tools really useful (doing an architectural review of a large C++ program) after I tipped him of the existence of Moose :)
>
> Mondrian visualizations do not scale very well for a project of this size though, the display model seems more geared towards traversing the model rather than culling what does not show up on screen, which turns into a problem when it redraws 50000 nodes each refresh rather than the 100 - 200 actually visible on screen...  (ie. 8-10 seconds for one refresh after clicking scroll bars) (This was an enriched DSM chart for 20 namespaces)
>
> The blueprint complexity visualization never even opened (as in, at least in the first minute), the algorithm for calculating edges is waaay too slow with 500 entities :)
>
> Which is kind of a shame, since those large, complex systems are what it really would be nice to have good visualizations of... :/
> Maybe better scaleability would be a good goal for Moose 4.1?
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: Fwd: PDF of Software Metrics

Tudor Girba
Hi Stef,

How did they parse the C++ system?

Doru

On 18 Jun 2010, at 10:38, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>
>> Date: June 18, 2010 10:01:53 AM GMT+02:00
>> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: PDF of Software Metrics
>>
>> What he was most interested in, was the C++ thresholds for the
>> overview pyramid in Moose.
>> Found those in an online presentation, so wasn't as pressing after
>> all :)
>> Is there any reason why only JavaThresholds are included/used by
>> default, instead of being selected automatically based on what
>> language your model originated from?
>>
>> On the bright side, he's found the tools really useful (doing an
>> architectural review of a large C++ program) after I tipped him of
>> the existence of Moose :)
>>
>> Mondrian visualizations do not scale very well for a project of
>> this size though, the display model seems more geared towards
>> traversing the model rather than culling what does not show up on
>> screen, which turns into a problem when it redraws 50000 nodes each
>> refresh rather than the 100 - 200 actually visible on screen...
>> (ie. 8-10 seconds for one refresh after clicking scroll bars) (This
>> was an enriched DSM chart for 20 namespaces)
>>
>> The blueprint complexity visualization never even opened (as in, at
>> least in the first minute), the algorithm for calculating edges is
>> waaay too slow with 500 entities :)
>>
>> Which is kind of a shame, since those large, complex systems are
>> what it really would be nice to have good visualizations of... :/
>> Maybe better scaleability would be a good goal for Moose 4.1?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Henry

www.tudorgirba.com

"Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: Fwd: PDF of Software Metrics

Stéphane Ducasse
no idea
On Jun 18, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> How did they parse the C++ system?
>
> Doru
>

> On 18 Jun 2010, at 10:38, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: June 18, 2010 10:01:53 AM GMT+02:00
>>> To: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Re: PDF of Software Metrics
>>>
>>> What he was most interested in, was the C++ thresholds for the overview pyramid in Moose.
>>> Found those in an online presentation, so wasn't as pressing after all :)
>>> Is there any reason why only JavaThresholds are included/used by default, instead of being selected automatically based on what language your model originated from?
>>>
>>> On the bright side, he's found the tools really useful (doing an architectural review of a large C++ program) after I tipped him of the existence of Moose :)
>>>
>>> Mondrian visualizations do not scale very well for a project of this size though, the display model seems more geared towards traversing the model rather than culling what does not show up on screen, which turns into a problem when it redraws 50000 nodes each refresh rather than the 100 - 200 actually visible on screen...  (ie. 8-10 seconds for one refresh after clicking scroll bars) (This was an enriched DSM chart for 20 namespaces)
>>>
>>> The blueprint complexity visualization never even opened (as in, at least in the first minute), the algorithm for calculating edges is waaay too slow with 500 entities :)
>>>
>>> Which is kind of a shame, since those large, complex systems are what it really would be nice to have good visualizations of... :/
>>> Maybe better scaleability would be a good goal for Moose 4.1?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Henry

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

Re: Fwd: PDF of Software Metrics

Tudor Girba
Apparently, they managed to find the info about using McC, getting it
through inFusion and then in Moose :). They got to this solution
through the !README-MOOSE.pdf that comes with inFusion.

Cheers,
Doru

On 18 Jun 2010, at 14:58, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> no idea
> On Jun 18, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> How did they parse the C++ system?
>>
>> Doru
>>

>> On 18 Jun 2010, at 10:38, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>

>>> Begin forwarded message:

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Speaking louder won't make the point worthier."

www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
  Tomorrow is a possibility.
  Today is a challenge."

Re: Fwd: PDF of Software Metrics

Alexandre Bergel-4
>> Mondrian visualizations do not scale very well for a project of this size though, the display model seems more geared towards traversing the model rather than culling what does not show up on screen, which turns into a problem when it redraws 50000 nodes each refresh rather than the 100 - 200 actually visible on screen...  (ie. 8-10 seconds for one refresh after clicking scroll bars) (This was an enriched DSM chart for 20 namespaces)

Indeed. 50000 nodes is a lot.

This script takes some times to display. Dragging and dropping a node is very slow.
view shape rectangle withText.
view nodes: (1 to: 50000).

>> The blueprint complexity visualization never even opened (as in, at least in the first minute), the algorithm for calculating edges is waaay too slow with 500 entities :)

Yes. The model used for edges does not scale very well.

>> Which is kind of a shame, since those large, complex systems are what it really would be nice to have good visualizations of... :/
>> Maybe better scaleability would be a good goal for Moose 4.1?

:-)

Alexandre