Fwd: Pharo 1,1 -beta

Stéphane Ducasse
:) No political correctness please :)
We have the rights to disagree :)

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>
> Date: May 9, 2010 2:09:35 AM GMT+02:00
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Pharo 1,1 -beta
>
> Dear Stephane.
> Please forward to whomever else it may concern, a bit too rantish to send to the general mailing list though :)
> I'd wish we were able to meet face to face, as the 2 points I'd like to make would be much easier to make without creating any sort of animosity if I had an an instant opportunity to clearify any details.
>
> 1.RevertLinkedLists or not, I don't really care. (though, reading through my late-night posts, some degree of personal pride might wrongfully be read into it, for which I apologize)
> It's a trade-off between handling adding objects and links equivalently, or disallowing this. The current implementation is easier to use, while one which allows adding links only is simpler implementation-wise.
> It IS important to reach a deciscion for 1.1 though, as it can have long-lasting consequences support-wise.
> No matter what the outcome, please don't remove the objective improvements over Squeak, like the swap method, which actually works. ;)
>
> Point 2: We CAN NOT release a beta version of 1.1 in which WeakDictionaries depend on their users to register them for finalization in order to work correctly/reliably.
> The idea behind the new weakdicts is sound (avoid rehashes whenever removals occur), the implementation however is unsound. (independent of the 10 or so issues which have been resolved for it so far). I have detailed some of my frustrations in comments to / new issues, afraid I can't reference those when writing from my iPhone though.
>
> The weather here at my friend's is really nice, and I hope you (and Lukas?)'ll have better weather tomorrow  :D
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Re: Fwd: Pharo 1,1 -beta

Stéphane Ducasse

> Dear Stephane.
> Please forward to whomever else it may concern, a bit too rantish to send to the general mailing list though :)

No it is not :)
It is good to talk and have different opinion. This is what makes life more fun.

> I'd wish we were able to meet face to face, as the 2 points I'd like to make would be much easier to make without creating any sort of animosity if I had an an instant opportunity to clearify any details.
>
> 1.RevertLinkedLists or not, I don't really care. (though, reading through my late-night posts, some degree of personal pride might wrongfully be read into it, for which I apologize)

I do not read it like proud :)

> It's a trade-off between handling adding objects and links equivalently, or disallowing this. The current implementation is easier to use, while one which allows adding links only is simpler implementation-wise.
> It IS important to reach a deciscion for 1.1 though, as it can have long-lasting consequences support-wise.
> No matter what the outcome, please don't remove the objective improvements over Squeak, like the swap method, which actually works. ;)

Sure do not worry.
This asLink is a no brainer. I just think that linkedList should be an internal only used by the scheduler stuff :).

> Point 2: We CAN NOT release a beta version of 1.1 in which WeakDictionaries depend on their users to register them for finalization in order to work correctly/reliably.

That more important than the other issues

> The idea behind the new weakdicts is sound (avoid rehashes whenever removals occur), the implementation however is unsound. (independent of the 10 or so issues which have been resolved for it so far). I have detailed some of my frustrations in comments to / new issues, afraid I can't reference those when writing from my iPhone though.

Ok what can we do?
I'm still stupid with weak stuff. Do you have code? :)))

> The weather here at my friend's is really nice, and I hope you (and Lukas?)'ll have better weather tomorrow  :D

No it is cold here. May be we will dare to go to brugges instead of getting stuck in front of our screens. :)