Fwd: [Pharo-users] Smalltalk server pages

Fwd: [Pharo-users] Smalltalk server pages

Stéphane Ducasse

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Annick Fron <[hidden email]>
> Date: January 5, 2011 12:43:53 PM GMT+01:00
> To: A friendly place where any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Pharo-users] Smalltalk server pages
>
> Hi,
>
> and in order to get a minimum of dynamic pages, (I think Seaside will be too large for my memory) what is best to get simple Smalltalk server pages, swazoo or Komhttpserver ?
>
> Annick Fron

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-users] Smalltalk server pages

cedreek
it depends what you call dynamic pages :)

Personally, I'm in the way to develop a seaside app that will manage "customers" and whose main goal is to generate pure static html pages (which can be changed from the user interface - change mean modified where it's possible and interesting then generated again).

Otherwise, I would look at ZnHTTP instead of Kom at least for HTTP Server. You could also have a look at Iliad or Aida which I think are less memory hungry than seaside (but to me, nothing beats pure html anyway with a fake dynamic impression ;) ).

My 0.02c,

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Annick Fron <[hidden email]>
>> Date: January 5, 2011 12:43:53 PM GMT+01:00
>> To: A friendly place where any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: [Pharo-users] Smalltalk server pages
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> and in order to get a minimum of dynamic pages, (I think Seaside will be too large for my memory) what is best to get simple Smalltalk server pages, swazoo or Komhttpserver ?
>>
>> Annick Fron

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-users] Smalltalk server pages

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 05 Jan 2011, at 16:34, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Otherwise, I would look at ZnHTTP instead of Kom at least for HTTP Server. You could also have a look at Iliad or Aida which I think are less memory hungry than seaside (but to me, nothing beats pure html anyway with a fake dynamic impression ;) ).

If you only need to build a couple of very simple HTML pages (say like for some embedded device) you could use Zn. It is very lightweight, both in the number of classes and in its dependencies. However, Seaside offers an enormeous amount of functionality that you will miss. You will have to generate HTML by hand for example.

Sven