Fwd: [Pharo-users] pharo & arduino

Stéphane Ducasse
since this will interest some of you :)

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] pharo & arduino
Date: February 21, 2012 6:33:28 PM GMT+01:00
To: Gérard Duteil <[hidden email]>
Cc: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM, Gérard Duteil <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bonsoir à tous,

Je ne savais que l'on pouvais faire tourner les physical etoys dans pharo, j'utilisais Squeak

Plus généralement je cherche des liens sur les pic, les microcontroleurs et une interface graphique en glisser deposer qui me permette de dialoguer avec de l'électronique sous linux. Sous win j'ai des outils mais je prefere l'utilisation de gnu/linux

je suis tombé sur un lien ancien smalltalk/pic mais j'aimerais bien trouver un  projet plus récent et maintenu.

Je vais donc essayer le lien merci

et je viens de retomber sur le lien qui m'a fait redécouvrir les etoys

Merci
Au plaisir de vous lire

Hello,

Hi Gérard,

I don't know that physical etoys runs in pharo. I use Squeak and install pe in ubuntu.

Well, the "Etoys" part of Physical Etoys doesn't run on Pharo, but all the core classes should work fine. I don't know exactly what you need so let me tell you what we did:
We made a very simple model that lets you communicate with your Arduino using a firmware like Firmata, or a simple firmware made by us (see the class comment of the class Arduino for code examples). We also made a very rudimentary C code generator to translate Smalltalk into C and we linked it to the avr-gcc/avrdude so now we can program the Arduino board without leaving Smalltalk, which is very cool. Unfortunately, the translator is still very limited (I think even more limited than Slang) but we are using it to translate the etoys scripts and it's good enough for our purposes.

I search more links about pic, electronics and gui with drag and drop to program this electronic's component for kids. I prefer use gnu/linux.

If you're interested in a graphical interface for kids maybe you'll be better working with the Physical Etoys version instead of using the sources with Pharo. FWIW, making a graphical interface shouldn't be difficult at all but the Etoys interface is being used with kids and it's quite good IMHO.

But i don't know your project   i use your link
sorry http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/projects/physical-etoys/ is my last tool

You'll find there the latest version of Physical Etoys, we are soon to release a new version with a lot of improvements. So stay tuned! :)

tanks too much for your proposition. sorry i don't speak spanish language but if necessary i transfert your message.

I have found a commercial tool s4a. Do you know this?

Yes, in fact I had the luck to meet its creators in person during the ESUG 2010 conference. S4A is a great tool, and the Scratch interface is very nice. You should definitely give it atry.

i have download this http://seaside.citilab.eu/S4ADev.zip

but i'm a beginner.

i'm interresting by pharo because  it's le lastest program developping, isn'it?

I'm not sure what that means. We usually don't use Pharo to develop Physical Etoys because, you know, Etoys doesn't run in Pharo. However, I would like to ensure at least some of our project works in Pharo. If I can, I'll test it this week and maybe I'll write a ConfigurationOfArduino. Would that help?

Cheers,
Richo

thanks a lot

Le 20/02/2012 09:16, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
thanks for you answer
I hope that you are going well.

Stef

On Feb 20, 2012, at 12:15 AM, Ricardo Moran wrote:

Hi Stef,

You can look at the Arduino repository at squeaksource (http://www.squeaksource.com/Arduino.html).
Everything but the "Arduino-Etoys*" packages should work fine in Pharo. At least they worked the last time I checked but a lot has changed since then, so let me know if you encounter any problem, I'll be happy to help.

Cheers,
Richo

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Stéphane Ducasse<[hidden email]>  wrote:
Hi ricardo

do you have some information how to connect pharo to arduino?
Thanks in advance.

Stef

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gérard Duteil<[hidden email]>
Subject: [Pharo-users] pharo&  arduino

Date: February 18, 2012 9:42:02 AM GMT+01:00
To: [hidden email]

Hello,,,I search info about this subject.,
,I'm interesting by picaxe also,,,,
A beginner in object programmation,,,
I wait the 25th may,,,
Thanks in advance.

Re: Fwd: [Pharo-users] pharo & arduino

Ricardo Moran
Hi everybody,

If you happen to have an arduino this might be interesting for you: http://tecnodacta.com.ar/gira/2012/02/pharo-and-arduino/.

Also, you probably already know, but I noticed while testing this that FFI doesn't work in the latest Windows VM published in the Pharo website. In case it helps, the latest CogVM published here works fine: http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/

Cheers,
Richo

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
since this will interest some of you :)

Begin forwarded message:

Re: [Pharo-users] pharo & arduino

Stéphane Ducasse