Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

12

Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

Anyone knowledgeable up for making a Squeak4.1 based Seaside-ready image
(or perhaps two: One with 2.8 and one with 3.0) that we can host on
Squeak.org? I can feel the pain in the absence of the upcoming installer
and it's something I think we can host reasonably easily on Squeak.org
to make things easier for new users.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Nikolay Suslov
Hello,

This should work for loading Seaside3 | Magritte2 | Pier2 into Squeak 4.1 image.
In Workspace:

"1. Load Metacello"

(Installer repository:   'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository')
        install: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) perform: #loadLatestVersion.

"2. Load Seaside3"

(Installer repository:
    'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository')
        install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30'.
 (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) perform: #load.

"3. Load Magritte2"

(Installer repository:
    'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository')
        install: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2'.
 (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2) perform: #load.

"4. Load Pier2"

(Installer repository:
    'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository')
        install: 'ConfigurationOfPier2'.
 (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier2) perform: #load.

Regards,
Nikolay

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks -

Anyone knowledgeable up for making a Squeak4.1 based Seaside-ready image (or perhaps two: One with 2.8 and one with 3.0) that we can host on Squeak.org? I can feel the pain in the absence of the upcoming installer and it's something I think we can host reasonably easily on Squeak.org to make things easier for new users.

Cheers,
 - Andreas

Someone updated the page but missed the point. Squeak.org points to
Seaside.st but Seaside.st still provides NO WAY to download the file.
Also, earlier versions of Seaside should be made available -- not
everyone wants to use alpha software.

Richard

 > From: [hidden email]
 > Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 01:59:23 +0100

 > Subject: Re: [Seaside] Where is Seaside download???
 > To: [hidden email]
 > CC: [hidden email]

 > Hi Richard,
 >
 > Sorry you had trouble. We just point the download links on seaside.st
 > to whatever URL each platform gives us...
 >
 > Could someone from Squeak update the page on squeak.org?
 >
 > Julian
 >
 > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Richard Eng
 > <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > > Thanks! Works like a charm.
 > > Still, for the uninitiated, seaside.st should really get their act
together
 > > and present an easy way to download the Seaside environment, just
as shown
 > > in the video.
 > > Richard
 > >
 > >> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 00:35:02 +0200
 > >> From: [hidden email]
 > >> To: [hidden email]
 > >> Subject: Re: [Seaside] Where is Seaside download???

YouTube videos

 > >> Try this:
 > >> Installer ss
 > >> project: 'MetacelloRepository';
 > >> install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30'.
 > >> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.
 > >>
 > >>
 > >> Levente

Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat Chat Now!
<http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9734382>

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Tobias Pape
Hi,

I would like to have that a tiny bit more concise:

Am 2010-07-21 um 07:47 schrieb Nikolay Suslov:

> Hello,
>
> This should work for loading Seaside3 | Magritte2 | Pier2 into Squeak 4.1 image.
> In Workspace:
>
> "1. Load Metacello"
>
> (Installer repository:   'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository')
>         install: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello'.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) perform: #loadLatestVersion.

Metacello is kept recent by any of the following loads, thus, not needed
explicitely.

> "2. Load Seaside3"
>
> (Installer repository:
>     'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository')
>         install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30'.
>  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) perform: #load.

Installer squeaksource
        poroject: 'MetacelloRepository';
        install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30'.

Thus, this is not having to put in an URL.
Don't know, but it feels more smalltalkish to me.

> "3. Load Magritte2"
>
> (Installer repository:
>     'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository')
>         install: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2'.
>  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2) perform: #load.

idem.

so long,
        -Tobias

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Nikolay Suslov
..and after all is loaded do:

"Register Pier2 on Seaside"
PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'pier' kernel: (PRKernel instanceNamed: 'pier')

"Start Comanche server"
WAComancheAdaptor startOn: 8080.

Successfully tested with updated-to-now Squeak4.2-10160-alpha image.

Nikolay

Am 2010-07-21 um 11:02 schrieb Nikolay Suslov:

> ..and after all is loaded do:
>
> "Register Pier2 on Seaside"
> PRPierFrame registerAsApplication: 'pier' kernel: (PRKernel instanceNamed: 'pier')
>
> "Start Comanche server"
> WAComancheAdaptor startOn: 8080.

However, this is a bit ‘short-sighted’[1]

There is the Seaside control panel in the ‘Open…’ menu,
that manages all Adaptors currently reigstered etc.pp.

I’d propose to include this way to the Seaside control panel
instead of the startOn: doit. (if more than one Kom is started,
it will fail anyways). Isn‘t Swazoo more common as default
adaptor now?

So Long,
        -Tobias

[1] does this exist in English?

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Nikolay Suslov
Tobias,

To have Pier2 application enabled, you should manually (in workspace) register it for now (the same in official Seaside-3.0rc Pharo based image).  Just check PRPierFrame class, where there is no #initialize method yet, meaning that after doing (WADispatcher resetAll) you will lose Pier2 app.

Looking at Seaside-3.0rc Pharo based image, Kom is the default.
Thanks for pointing to the Seaside's control panel, yes it's better to use.

Also, after loading all Seaside stuff, the default system browser is changed to OmniBrowser (which is default for Pharo). So, this could be changed to default Squeak system browser manually in Window menu.

Regards,
Nikolay

Am 2010-07-21 um 13:26 schrieb Nikolay Suslov:

> Tobias,
>
> To have Pier2 application enabled, you should manually (in workspace) register it for now (the same in official Seaside-3.0rc Pharo based image).  Just check PRPierFrame class, where there is no #initialize method yet, meaning that after doing (WADispatcher resetAll) you will lose Pier2 app.

Sorry that I was unclear. I did not object to the Pier doit.

> Looking at Seaside-3.0rc Pharo based image, Kom is the default.

Still? Ok, I was unaware of that.

> Thanks for pointing to the Seaside's control panel, yes it's better to use.
>
> Also, after loading all Seaside stuff, the default system browser is changed to OmniBrowser (which is default for Pharo). So, this could be changed to default Squeak system browser manually in Window menu.

There may be more questions that will arise from that point.
E.g. OB does not make use of the Squeak4.1 default shout, hence,
this may be confusing for some people

so long,
        -Tobias

On 7/21/2010 5:01 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
> There may be more questions that will arise from that point.
> E.g. OB does not make use of the Squeak4.1 default shout, hence,
> this may be confusing for some people

Let's try it. Here is a starting point:

http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside/Squeak4.1/Seaside3.0.zip

Improvements, fixes, enhancements, etc. are all welcome. Also, does
anyone have instructions for how to create a Seaside 2.8 based image?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Frank Shearar
On 2010/07/21 21:31, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 7/21/2010 5:01 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>> There may be more questions that will arise from that point.
>> E.g. OB does not make use of the Squeak4.1 default shout, hence,
>> this may be confusing for some people
>
> Let's try it. Here is a starting point:
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside/Squeak4.1/Seaside3.0.zip
>
> Improvements, fixes, enhancements, etc. are all welcome. Also, does
> anyone have instructions for how to create a Seaside 2.8 based image?

Looks good! Download, run, and it works!

frank

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Chris Cunnington
If I could make a suggestion, please pre-populate the Seaside Control Panel with a server adaptor.

A blank field would require an option+click and then "Add adaptor...", which isn't really intuitive, if there's nothing to look at.

Chris

On 7/21/2010 2:32 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> If I could make a suggestion, please pre-populate the Seaside Control
> Panel with a server adaptor.
>
> A blank field would require an option+click and then "Add adaptor...",
> which isn't really intuitive, if there's nothing to look at.

Sure sounds good. Which adaptor? What port? Should it be started by
default so that people can just point their browser to

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Chris Cunnington
Well, I was thinking of having the Comanche adaptor be visible when the Seaside Control Panel was opened. But the idea you just had of having a server adaptor already running when they open the image is probably the best. Then we could just tell them to go to http://localhost:8080. Easy as pie.

Chris

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> Well, I was thinking of having the Comanche adaptor be visible when the
> Seaside Control Panel was opened. But the idea you just had of having a
> server adaptor already running when they open the image is probably the
> best. Then we could just tell them to go to http://localhost:8080. Easy as
> pie.

Yes, a WAComancheAdaptor running on 8080 with UTF-8 encoding is a good
idea. I think the Seaside Control Panel could be open, and the default
browser could be Browser instead of PackagePaneBrowser. Also [Smalltalk
cleanUp: false] can make the image a bit smaller. And we could reuse the
contents of the welcome workspace from the official Seaside 3.0 image:

"
Welcome to Seaside 3.0rc.

Seaside is already running on port 8080. To get started, simply use your
browser to open http://localhost:8080/ and take a look at the examples and
documentation listed there.

You can start and stop the server (and change the port) using the new
Seaside Control Panel, which is open in the bottom left corner.
"

Levente

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 7/21/2010 5:01 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>> There may be more questions that will arise from that point.
>> E.g. OB does not make use of the Squeak4.1 default shout, hence,
>> this may be confusing for some people
>
> Let's try it. Here is a starting point:
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside/Squeak4.1/Seaside3.0.zip
>
> Improvements, fixes, enhancements, etc. are all welcome. Also, does anyone
> have instructions for how to create a Seaside 2.8 based image?

For Seaside 2.8:

Installer ss
  project: 'MetacelloRepository';
  install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28) load.

Start it with:

WAKomEncoded startOn: 8080.

Examples for Seaside 2.8:

Installer ss
  project: 'MetacelloRepository';
  install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28Examples'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside28Examples) load.

Magritte:

Installer ss
  project: 'MetacelloRepository';
  install: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte) load.

Pier:

Installer ss
  project: 'MetacelloRepository';
  install: 'ConfigurationOfPier-DaleHenrichs.18'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier) load.

Pier has to be registered, but I don't know how.

Levente

On 7/21/2010 2:57 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> Yes, a WAComancheAdaptor running on 8080 with UTF-8 encoding is a good
> idea. I think the Seaside Control Panel could be open, and the default
> browser could be Browser instead of PackagePaneBrowser. Also [Smalltalk
> cleanUp: false] can make the image a bit smaller. And we could reuse the
> contents of the welcome workspace from the official Seaside 3.0 image:

Try the updated version. It includes all the suggestions so far.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Chris Cunnington
The new image looks great. I think it hits all the right notes. I'll add a link to the Documentation/Instructions part of squeak.org tomorrow, as seaside.st is already pointing to that area. We can add other links on squeak.org as well.

Chris

On 7/21/2010 4:34 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> The new image looks great. I think it hits all the right notes. I'll add
> a link to the Documentation/Instructions part of squeak.org
> <http://squeak.org> tomorrow, as seaside.st <http://seaside.st> is
> already pointing to that area. We can add other links on squeak.org
> <http://squeak.org> as well.

Great. The only remaining question is whether to package it up as an
All-in-One zip distribution. Is this process documented somewhere? Or
does someone have a script that we could run to create the All-in-One
version from the image?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 7/21/2010 2:57 PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> Yes, a WAComancheAdaptor running on 8080 with UTF-8 encoding is a good
>> idea. I think the Seaside Control Panel could be open, and the default
>> browser could be Browser instead of PackagePaneBrowser. Also [Smalltalk
>> cleanUp: false] can make the image a bit smaller. And we could reuse the
>> contents of the welcome workspace from the official Seaside 3.0 image:
>
> Try the updated version. It includes all the suggestions so far.

It looks great. Two tests raise an error, but they probably rely on a
Pharo feature which accepts an integer instead of a point as extent.
There's also a missing class (SSLSiteIdentifier) in Swazoo, Magritte uses
a Pharo specific class (UITheme) and a class variable is missing from
SpFilename which is part of Sport. But I doubt that any of these would
cause problems.

Levente

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Re: Fwd: RE: Where is Seaside download???

Andreas.Raab
Hi Chris -

Since you were about to update the Website can you also point to the
additional downloads that I've just put up on Squeak.org? We now have
both 2.8 and 3.0 "Expert" (just the image) and "Easy" (All-in-One)
downloads. Perhaps we can present it like here:

Download Seaside 3.0:
* Easy Install (recommended for new users)

http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside/Squeak4.1/Seaside3.0-All-in-One.zip
* Expert Install (just the image and changes)
   http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside/Squeak4.1/Seaside3.0.zip

Download Seaside 2.8:
* Easy Install (recommended for new users)

http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside/Squeak4.1/Seaside2.8-All-in-One.zip
* Expert Install (just the image and changes)
   http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/seaside/Squeak4.1/Seaside3.0.zip

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 7/21/2010 4:34 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> The new image looks great. I think it hits all the right notes. I'll add
> a link to the Documentation/Instructions part of squeak.org
> <http://squeak.org> tomorrow, as seaside.st <http://seaside.st> is
> already pointing to that area. We can add other links on squeak.org
> <http://squeak.org> as well.
>
> Chris

12