Fwd: Re: FFI in closure image/modifying block arguments

Fwd: Re: FFI in closure image/modifying block arguments

Torsten Bergmann
I forwarded the mail from Andreas, since I think he is not subscribed
to pharo list and his answer didnt appear on the the list archive.

Many places - I agree. I had the problem while loading OB alpha before
FFI since OB also had block arg assignment. But it was very easy to
fix. FFI could/should also be fixed. That's at least a start.

However - the question left is if block arg assignment should be
allowed ...

Bye
T.

BTW: Andreas: would be good if you could subscribe to pharo list. If
     you fear the traffic then just disable mail forwarding and use
     the web archive to read. That's how I do it on all squeak related
     lists and it works fine.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 07:06:41 -0700
Von: Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
An: Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
CC: [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: FFI in closure image/modifying block arguments

I think it is advisable to allow block arg assignment for the time
being. There is *lots* of code which uses it knowingly or unknowingly
and unless you've fixed every single case you'll have these troubles
every step of the way. For laughs, just try to recompile all the classes
in your image to see how far you get.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> FYI: with the new closure changes/image (Pharo0.1Core-10268cl.zip from [1])
> it is not possible to store into block arguments:
>
>   1 to: 10 do: [:i | i := i + 1. Transcript show: i printString ]
>
> That makes the current version of FFI unloadable, due to
> the code in  ExternalTypeClass>>initializeAtomicTypes
>
> Bye
> T.
>

> [1] https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299

Re: Fwd: Re: FFI in closure image/modifying block arguments

Lukas Renggli
> However - the question left is if block arg assignment should be
> allowed ...

Eliot explained that it is a setting in the closure compiler.

By default it shouldn't be allowed, as long as method arguments are
also read-only.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Fwd: Re: FFI in closure image/modifying block arguments

block args in smalltalk are read-only

stef

On Apr 7, 2009, at 10:01 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> I forwarded the mail from Andreas, since I think he is not subscribed
> to pharo list and his answer didnt appear on the the list archive.
>
> Many places - I agree. I had the problem while loading OB alpha before
> FFI since OB also had block arg assignment. But it was very easy to
> fix. FFI could/should also be fixed. That's at least a start.
>
> However - the question left is if block arg assignment should be
> allowed ...
>
> Bye
> T.
>
> BTW: Andreas: would be good if you could subscribe to pharo list. If
>     you fear the traffic then just disable mail forwarding and use
>     the web archive to read. That's how I do it on all squeak related
>     lists and it works fine.
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 07:06:41 -0700
> Von: Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
> An: Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
> CC: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: FFI in closure image/modifying block arguments
>
> I think it is advisable to allow block arg assignment for the time
> being. There is *lots* of code which uses it knowingly or unknowingly
> and unless you've fixed every single case you'll have these troubles
> every step of the way. For laughs, just try to recompile all the
> classes
> in your image to see how far you get.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>
> Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>> FYI: with the new closure changes/image (Pharo0.1Core-10268cl.zip
>> from [1])
>> it is not possible to store into block arguments:
>>
>>  1 to: 10 do: [:i | i := i + 1. Transcript show: i printString ]
>>
>> That makes the current version of FFI unloadable, due to
>> the code in  ExternalTypeClass>>initializeAtomicTypes
>>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>

>> [1] https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299
>
> --
> Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehört? Der kann`s mit
> allen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01

Re: Fwd: Re: FFI in closure image/modifying block arguments

Torsten just for the record, we already fixed a lot of occurrences of
arg assignments and we should be soon
able to recompile the entire pharo image.

Stef

On Apr 7, 2009, at 10:01 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> I forwarded the mail from Andreas, since I think he is not subscribed
> to pharo list and his answer didnt appear on the the list archive.
>
> Many places - I agree. I had the problem while loading OB alpha before
> FFI since OB also had block arg assignment. But it was very easy to
> fix. FFI could/should also be fixed. That's at least a start.
>
> However - the question left is if block arg assignment should be
> allowed ...
>
> Bye
> T.
>
> BTW: Andreas: would be good if you could subscribe to pharo list. If
>     you fear the traffic then just disable mail forwarding and use
>     the web archive to read. That's how I do it on all squeak related
>     lists and it works fine.
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 07:06:41 -0700
> Von: Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
> An: Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
> CC: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: FFI in closure image/modifying block arguments
>
> I think it is advisable to allow block arg assignment for the time
> being. There is *lots* of code which uses it knowingly or unknowingly
> and unless you've fixed every single case you'll have these troubles
> every step of the way. For laughs, just try to recompile all the
> classes
> in your image to see how far you get.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>
> Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>> FYI: with the new closure changes/image (Pharo0.1Core-10268cl.zip
>> from [1])
>> it is not possible to store into block arguments:
>>
>>  1 to: 10 do: [:i | i := i + 1. Transcript show: i printString ]
>>
>> That makes the current version of FFI unloadable, due to
>> the code in  ExternalTypeClass>>initializeAtomicTypes
>>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>

>> [1] https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299
>
> --
> Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehört? Der kann`s mit
> allen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01

Re: Fwd: Re: FFI in closure image/modifying block arguments

Yes this is why elliot added the preference so that you can load code
doing assignment.