[Fwd: Re: How to create an stand-alone executable?]

[Fwd: Re: How to create an stand-alone executable?]

Holger Kleinsorgen-3
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:58:19 +0100, Holger Kleinsorgen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adrian Kuhn schrieb:
>> Dear list,
>> is it possible to turn a VW image into a stand-alone executable?
>> If so, where can I learn how to do this?
>>
> yes
>
> see $(VISUALWORKS)\packaging\win\WindowsPackaging.txt

And additionally watch
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/casts/stDaily/2006/smalltalk_daily-11-8-06.html
and the other screencasts at
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=smalltalk_daily_deployment.

Flo

Re: [Fwd: Re: How to create an stand-alone executable?]

Adrian Kuhn-3
Danke Holger und Flo!

However, the executable complains about a missing changes file when
starting up. Is there a way to attach the changes file to the
executable as well?

cheers,
AA

On 18 Dec 2007, at 14:06 , Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

> From: Florian Völkl <[hidden email]>
> Date: 18 December 2007 14:05:12  GMT+01:00
> To: "Holger Kleinsorgen" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: How to create an stand-alone executable?
>

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:58:19 +0100, Holger Kleinsorgen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Adrian Kuhn schrieb:
>>> Dear list,
>>> is it possible to turn a VW image into a stand-alone executable?
>>> If so, where can I learn how to do this?
>>>
>> yes
>>
>> see $(VISUALWORKS)\packaging\win\WindowsPackaging.txt
>

> And additionally watch http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/casts/stDaily/
> 2006/smalltalk_daily-11-8-06.html and the other screencasts at
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?
> content=smalltalk_daily_deployment.
>
> Flo

Picture 4.jpg (51K) Download Attachment

RE: [Fwd: Re: How to create an stand-alone executable?]

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
You don't need change files for runtimes at all, did you use RTP to
package the image?

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

That removed all the IDE stuff, right?
What if my app is calling / reusing some of that, eg the inspector?

AA

On 18 Dec 2007, at 23:59 , Boris Popov wrote:

> You don't need change files for runtimes at all, did you use RTP to
> package the image?
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4
>
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
> attachments.
>
> Thank you.

It will try to trace all things you are using, give it a try if you wish, but I'm sure there's a way to disable change set without it, but I'm away from an image at the moment to look.

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

What if my app is calling / reusing some of that, eg the inspector?

AA

On 18 Dec 2007, at 23:59 , Boris Popov wrote:

> You don't need change files for runtimes at all, did you use RTP to
> package the image?
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4
>
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
> attachments.
>
> Thank you.

Mark Roberts
Adrian,

At 07:17 AM 12/20/2007, Adrian Kuhn wrote:
>What if my app is calling / reusing some of that, eg the inspector?

The RTP can strip most everything, or only portions of the image. You
can preserve classes that are reused by your application. The
interface offers a lot of flexibility.

BTW, all of this is discussed in chapter 21 of the Application
Developer's Guide, located in the /doc subdirectory of the standard
distribution. If you find that documentation lacking in some respect,
feel free to let us know.

Cheers,

M. Roberts
Cincom Systems, Inc.

RE: [Fwd: Re: How to create an stand-alone executable?]

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
SourceFileManager default removeAllSources

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Thank you, works fine now!

AA

On 21 Dec 2007, at 22:33 , Boris Popov wrote:

> SourceFileManager default removeAllSources
>
> -Boris

Retrieve Bundle Version

Roberto Fonseca

Hello list,

In VW 7.4.1, I have a need to display the version for a given loaded bundle in a Help >> About type of function. I looked around for ways of doing it and came up with the following code/solution:

      | bundle |

      bundle := Store.Bundle allBundles detect:

                [:each | each name = 'MyBundle'].

      bundle version.

When I execute this code I do get what I need (e.g., 'V1.1') but the problem is that it only works when the image is connected to the StORE DB. Otherwise it throws an exception. I also found this other similar solution that gives me the same results but also requires an active connection to the DB:

      | pundle |

      pundle := Registry allPundles detect:

                [:each | each name ='MyBundle'].

      pundle parentRecord version.

My question to the list is: Do you know of any other way I can do that where I don't need to be connected to the DB?

Thanks,

Roberto

Re: Retrieve Bundle Version

Travis Griggs-3

On Jan 2, 2008, at 12:11 PM, Roberto Fonseca wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> In VW 7.4.1, I have a need to display the version for a given loaded
> bundle in a Help >> About type of function. I looked around for ways
> of doing it and came up with the following code/solution:
>
>       | bundle |
>       bundle := Store.Bundle allBundles detect:
>                 [:each | each name = 'MyBundle'].
>       bundle version.
>
> When I execute this code I do get what I need (e.g., 'V1.1') but the
> problem is that it only works when the image is connected to the
> StORE DB. Otherwise it throws an exception. I also found this other
> similar solution that gives me the same results but also requires an
> active connection to the DB:
>
>       | pundle |
>       pundle := Registry allPundles detect:
>                 [:each | each name ='MyBundle'].
>       pundle parentRecord version.
>
> My question to the list is: Do you know of any other way I can do
> that where I don't need to be connected to the DB?
>
> Thanks,
> Roberto

Here's a code snippet that shows piece of that, executed from 7.6.

(Store.Registry packageNamed: 'CairoGraphics') databaseInformations
do: [:each | each versionString out]

Obviously, you want something other than 'out'. It does illustrate the
cogent point that for a given package in your image, there is not one
version string, but 0-N of them. If you can be sure you've just got
the one version of a given package, you could do something like:

(Store.Registry packageNamed: 'CairoGraphics') databaseInformations
any  versionString

(any is a 7.6 addition, but many have a similar extension in older
versions)

You can also send versionString directly to a PundleModel (result of a
Store.Registry somethingNamed: 'blah'). It does various conditioning
on the string that you may or may not want.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist

RE: Retrieve Bundle Version

Roberto Fonseca
List,

Excellent suggestions. I have my help >> About function working as expected. Thank you very much.

Roberto

RE: Retrieve Bundle Version

Roberto Fonseca

Hello everyone,

I got a follow-up question on this topic...

The code to retrieve the bundle version is working perfectly as follows in the development image:

| pundle ver |

pundle := Store.Registry allPundles detect:

                        [:each | each name ='MYBUNDLE'].

ver := (pundle versionString runsFailing: [:chr | chr = $, ]) first.

      ^ver copyFrom: 2 to: ver size

My problem is that when I use RuntimePackager to create the user image the code no long works. I changed the parameters we were using to keep some classes that I thought would fix the issue but nothing worked. I even tried to keep ALL classes/packages in the image to no avail.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Roberto

> My question to the list is: Do you know of any other way I can do

> that where I don't need to be connected to the DB?

(Store.Registry packageNamed: 'Assets') versionString.

This will give you the version string of the database you last

connected to, which may or may not be what you want...

However, if instead you do/inspect/print :

(Store.Registry packageNamed: 'Assets') databaseInformations collect:

[:each | each versionString]

This will work no matter what, even if, like I am, you are connected

to multiple databases.

                                 And So It Goes

                                      Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]

VisualWorks Engineering, Store Project

Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

Re: Retrieve Bundle Version

David Lattimore
Roberto Fonseca wrote:

> My problem is that when I use RuntimePackager to create the user image
> the code no long works. I changed the parameters we were using to keep
> some classes that I thought would fix the issue but nothing worked. I
> even tried to keep *ALL* classes/packages in the image to no avail.

My inclination would be to save the version number to a shared variable
in the post-load action for the relevant package/bundle.  This does
depend to an extent on you loading packages into a clean image before
using the runtime packager, but in order to have a reproducible process,
that's probably a good idea any way.

David

Re: Retrieve Bundle Version

Reinout Heeck-2
David Price wrote:

> Roberto Fonseca wrote:
>>
>> My problem is that when I use RuntimePackager to create the user
>> image the code no long works. I changed the parameters we were using
>> to keep some classes that I thought would fix the issue but nothing
>> worked. I even tried to keep *ALL* classes/packages in the image to
>> no avail.
>>

> My inclination would be to save the version number to a shared
> variable in the post-load action for the relevant package/bundle.
> This does depend to an extent on you loading packages into a clean
> image before using the runtime packager, but in order to have a
> reproducible process, that's probably a good idea any way.

This is exactly what we do at Soops. All our builds are scripted so
there is a very definite 'build time' in our process. At the end of the
variable. The about dialog only references the info in the shared var,
it assumes Store support is absent in the image.

If you haven't done so yet I strongly suggest you script the creation of
your deliverables and put this script under version control.

-

Dit e-mailbericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).

Gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Indien u niet degeadresseerde(n) bent wordt u verzocht de verzender hiervan op de hoogte te stellen en het bericht te verwijderen. Door de elektronische verzending kunnen aan de inhoud van dit bericht geen rechten worden ontleend.

Soops B.V. is gevestigd te Amsterdam, Nederland, en is geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 33240368.
Soops B.V. levert volgens de Fenit voorwaarden, gedeponeerd te Den Haag op 8 december 1994 onder nummer 1994/189.

This e-mail message is intended to be exclusively for the addressee.

If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested not to make any use whatsoever of the contents and to notify the sender immediately by returning this e-mail message. No rights can be derived from this message.

Soops B.V. is a private limited liability company and has its seat at Amsterdam, The Netherlands and is registered with the Trade Registry of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry under number 33240368.
Soops B.V. delivers according to the General Terms and Conditions of Business of Fenit, registered at The Hague, The Netherlands on December 8th, 1994, under number 1994/189