Fwd: Re: Pharo on Android - is it available?

Fwd: Re: Pharo on Android - is it available?

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Fwd: Re: Pharo on Android - is it available?

Peter Kenny
Hilaire (and Dmitry)

Many thanks for your efforts on my behalf. I have looked at the CogDroid
page, but was discouraged by the prominent warning that "This project is
currently disabled." I am not an expert in combining VM files and images; if
it involves anything more complicated than downloading a one-click image, it
is beyond my ability. I think the comments on the SqueakVM-tablet site are
unduly optimistic.

For the time being I shall follow up the helpful comments from kilon alios
and others that Amber Smalltalk may be the way to go.

Thanks again

Peter Kenny

Date : Wed, 1 Jan 2014 10:15:07 -0500
De : Dmitry Golubovsky <[hidden email]>
Pour : Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]>

Hilaire,

I see the question asked by Peter, but all mail links are completely
mangled, so I am replying to you; in case you have a correct email for Peter
please forward my response to him.

I believe that the latest binary builds are at
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/CogDroid/ which are bare VMs
(need an image). PharoDroid (with integrated image) was indeed never ported
properly from the old INRIA build site.

I think that information at
http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/w/list still applies more or less,
also how to integrate an image into an apk if thats needed.

The source repo is at

https://gitorious.org/cogvm/dmg-blessed/

and I haven't done any commits to it recently (the latest was at Thursday
October 04 2012). So images at Inria should be fine to start with although
build from sources is always preferred. It's worh mentionig that Pharo 1.x
may be needed to perform the build, and given that Pharo downloading methods
have changed since the last time I was working on this project some extra
effort may be needed. Also, if serious development is planned, platform
codes in the said gitorious repo need to be merged with the current platform
codes in other repos (which?), and the whole build procedure needs more
attention.

Also worth mentioning that only features of Android up to 2.x are used in
this build. I have no idea whether recent NDK is compatible, so if the older
versions are no longer available, some more effort may be needed to bring
this all up to date.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

Thanks.

--
Dmitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web

Re: Fwd: Re: Pharo on Android - is it available?

kilon.alios
yes sorry for forgetting about the link.

One nice thing about amber is that pharo libraries are being ported to it, like Athens and Roassal and also it specifically focus on pharo. It also shows the level of compatibility between pharo and amber. The disadvantage of amber is that you have to learn javascript and hmtl because this is where everything is based. But then making browser based apps without knowing javascript / hmtl / css is generally not advisable.

But in the end of the day, there is no such thing as ideal solution you just pick the choice that fits your needs and wants better and dive into it. Personally I am still in a bit of dilema for my project do I go full pharo or do i use amber for front end and pharo for backend, or just amber etc. But the thing is that unless you explore your options thoroughly you cant draw definite conclusion and you cannot even rely on other people's opinion too much because they have different priorities from you.

So I would say have it a go and decide for yourself. Coding like everything else is an exploration and continuous learning experience.

--
Dmitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web

Re: Fwd: Re: Pharo on Android - is it available?

Esteban A. Maringolo
When you talk about Amber on Android you must think of middle to high
end hardware. Even if it's a tablet.

On a mid-low end device it will be completely unusable. It is not an
Amber only thing, it also applies to any other JS based app. Android's
Webview is 3x slower than Chrome, among other quirks that make the
interaction unpleasant.

One year ago I considered using Amber, then bare JS wrapped with
PhoneGap, but ended up using native development, because otherwise the
app was going to be unresponsive, and the CPU required would consume
the battery in a few hours.

Regards,

ps: An app like Dr. Geo is a totally different story.