Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: Re: [Pharo-users] [Seaside] [ANN] Zürich Smalltalk Meetup Nov 8th, 2016

GLASS mailing list

Since the question that Michal is answering showed up on the GLASS list, I thought it made sense to forward the answer here for those who aren't on the pharo list ...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] [Seaside] [ANN] Zürich Smalltalk Meetup Nov 8th, 2016
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 22:01:50 +0200
Reply-To: Any question about pharo is welcome [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Hi,
the short answer is: not yet.

The back story is: We have been experimenting with GemStone and Tugrik at work. While Tugrik appears to work very well (even though it is new and not yet finished), I found the overall architecture (Tugrik+Mongo+Voyage) a bit complicated. Tugrik is meant to be a replacement for Voyage-Mongo but actually uses parts of its implementation and behavior. I understand that it does so to mimic Voyage-Mongo so that switching from Mongo to GemStone is relatively painless. That does not fit our use case though - we don't need a replacement for Mongo since we haven't used it in the first place. We would also like to have something that we could possibly maintain ourselves, should the priorities of Esteban or Dale change in a few years (I don't want this to sound negative, I am sure they would not drop the support just because they want to, but I understand they are very busy and for us it is a certain risk we would like to mitigate).

While playing with Tugrik I came up with a few ideas so I started a clean Pharo image with the following task in mind: find a way of getting objects from Pharo to GemStone and back, as simply as possible, without any unnecessary dependencies. In other words, I wanted to see if I could create a simpler Pharo-to-GemStone persistence solution than the existing Tugrik+Mongo+Voyage stack. As of now it's still in an early phase but I already have something that could work. For the meetup in Zürich I want to have something to show (a small demo), or, if I run into any conceptual issues, to have a topic for discussion if anyone's interested.

I won't release it publicly until I am sure it works well. But I can guarantee you that if anything exciting does emerge, this mailing list will learn about it. It will definitely not be exclusive for the people who attend the meetup. I just want to use the opportunity of the meetup to get early feedback and/or input, maybe it will trigger a discussion about important issues that I haven't thought about yet. I am not at all a GemStone expert so the possibility is there.

Michal

On 18.10.2016 14:38, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Hi,

I would love to be in Zurich, but I obviously can't :(
So... is there a way to get some more info about that "Gemstone-based persistence framework for Pharo"? And who is Michal? Last name?

Thanks,

--