[Fwd: Re: Swazoo on CS4 ?]

Ken Treis-4

Janko Mivsek wrote:

> A new CampSmalltalk is coming and I'm wondering if someone else is
> interested to have our project alive and well on CS4 too?

I won't be able to make it to CS4 (we have a baby coming somewhere
around then), but it'd be great if Swazoo was actively developed there.

> If so, any ideas about what to work on? At least we need to plan a
> future of Swazoo and put it back in more active state :)

- SSL would be great.
- I'd also love to see Swazoo reach a point where we didn't have to take
the server off-line to re-read the site configuration file (i.e.
SiteRegistry flush.  ObjectMemory compactingGC.  SiteRegistry
configureFrom: 'sites.cnf').
- I've mentioned this before, but I'd like to see the configuration file
play a less prominent role in site configuration.  It's great to store
the information in a flat file, but we should provide a web-based
front-end to server configuration that lets you define new sites,
enable/disable resources, etc.
- AccessLogResource: a resource that's URL-transparent but logs all
successful requests that pass through it.
- I've noticed, when building custom Resources, that there are a couple
of variables that I often end up passing the request around when
figuring out how to reply.  On one of my projects, I actually ended up
extracting a "ResponseFactory" object that held on to two main things:
the request and the resource the request came through.  Since instances
of ResponseFactory were temporary and instantiated per-request, I could
also add other instance variables (i.e. customer, account, etc) to make
my code cleaner.  I'd be more than willing to implement this, but I
wanted to get the team's opinion before I threw it into my
soon-to-be-StOREd trunk.

> I know I know, i'm promising that for a while but it seems I will have
> a real project soon which will need Swazoo (with forthcomming SSL
> support) so I will be probably a bit more actice member now :)

... and I've been promising to put it in the Cincom public StORE.  That
hasn't happened yet, either.  I'll try to do that ASAP so that we can
sync our VisualWorks trees.  Once that's done, we can return to the
project of synchronizing the VW/Dolphin/Squeak/GemStone branches.

Ken

Re: [Fwd: Re: Swazoo on CS4 ?]

Joseph Bacanskas-3
Hi All:

I don't know yet if I can make it to Camp 4, but I want to be there for
Swazoo, if I can.

Ken:  One of the cool things about getting it into GemStone is that you could
SSH into the reomote server, open a topaz command line session to GemStone,
and configure, add, change, delete Smalltalk code to your heart's content.

--
Thanks!!
Joseph Bacanskas [|]