Fwd: [Vm-dev] Running Alien on Windows

1 message Options

Fwd: [Vm-dev] Running Alien on Windows

Stéphane Ducasse

Begin forwarded message:

Date: April 20, 2010 7:56:58 PM GMT+02:00
Subject: Re: [Vm-dev] Running Alien on Windows

You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has
been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
[hidden email].

From: stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>
Date: April 20, 2010 7:56:51 PM GMT+02:00
To: Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion <[hidden email]>

Thanks torsten for the summary

Would not work out of the box with the VM since it requires
VM changes. Marco ported them from Newspeak
and made them available [1]. Tests went green and
he is sucessfully using Alien on Windows. But it is not yet
in the official Squeak VM (which is 4.0.2.).

There is also an issue for pharo [2] and an issue for

I read [2] but I could not get what was needed from our side

VM developers [3] to follow progress.

So the code is there and is ready for integration.
Andreas asked for the license [4], Marco answered
that code was from Newspeak [5].

After that we got a good response from John McIntosh
on the license issue [6] which should be OK now.
(Dont know, I'm not a lawyer)

After I asked Andreas again he answered that it is not
highest priority for him which I understood since
Squeak 4.1 was in preparation. See last response
regarding this [7]

Dont know what should be the next steps to get Alien
into the Win32-VM code base. Maybe Andreas could tell
you more.

As a workaround you could use the source provided
by Marco to build your own unofficial VM - however
you would have to reintegrate anytime Andreas makes
a new release...

May be I'm in a good mood but I think that andreas will do it when he got time.
I know what is losing time on a lot of tiny boring stuff that must be done.

Bye
T.

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/003983.html
[2] http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1360