Fwd: [Vm-dev] Running Alien on Windows

1 message Options

Fwd: [Vm-dev] Running Alien on Windows

Stéphane Ducasse

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:23:36PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> That leaves the question of how to deal with the patches to the VMMaker
> code base. As you know, my "official" VMs are always built from the
> "official" sources (i.e., the latest VMMaker package on
> http://www.squeaksource.com/VMMaker.html) and if you'd like to help
> getting Alien support into the standard builds we should figure out how
> to integrate these patches.
>
> Perhaps David and/or Eliot can help? From my perspective this issue
> doesn't really belong with the Windows VM but rather with the VMMaker
> package. I just build whatever is in there, so if Alien support is in,
> then I'll build it together with everything else.

I added Alien functions to VMMaker on SqueakSource:

Name: VMMaker-dtl.170
Author: dtl
Time: 25 April 2010, 3:21:08.401 pm
Ancestors: VMMaker-dtl.169

VMMaker 4.1.0

Include support for Alien FFI in the interpreter. This adds the contents of
package Alien-VMMaker-Support from the Alien project on SqueakSource. The
Alien plugin has not been included, and continues to be maintained in package
Alien-VMMaker-Plugins on SqS/Alien.

These additions are copyright and licensed as follows (reference SqS/Alien):

Copyright 2008 Cadence Design Systems, Inc. Licensed under the Apache License,
Version 2.0 (the ''License''); you may not use this file except in compliance
with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Aug 27th, 2009

I also updated platforms/Cross/vm/sqVirtualMachine.[ch] with the Alien functions.
This bumps the VM_PROXY_MINOR version to 8, and requires that VMs be generated
with VMMaker-dtl.170 (or that you load the equivalent from the the Alien
project on SqueakSource).

I updated the configuration map so that "VMMaker updateFromServer" will now
pull in the Alien plugin. A similar update will be needed for ConfigurationOfVMMaker
for Pharo.

Note that this adds Apache licensed code to VMMaker. If there are any concerns
about this, please speak up.

Dave