Fwd: [Vm-dev] Weak finalization enh. are still not integrated into VM(s)

Fwd: [Vm-dev] Weak finalization enh. are still not integrated into VM(s)

Andreas Wacknitz
Hi guys,

are there any plans to integrate this in Pharo?
As I want to do some experiments with Magma I am specially interested in Pharo-1.1 for it.

Regards,
Andreas

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

Von: "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]>
Datum: 22. September 2010 05:23:36 MESZ
An: Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [Vm-dev] Weak finalization enh. are still not integrated into VM(s)
Antwort an: Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion <[hidden email]>

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 04:22:22PM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:

On 21 September 2010 06:20, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 03:28:35AM +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:

I am also uploaded a slice of system changes with new classes & rest
of stuff into inbox:

CollectionsTests-Igor.Stasenko.169
Collections-Igor.Stasenko.370
Kernel-Igor.Stasenko.478
System-Igor.Stasenko.358

note, that despite of these changes, system are still using old
WeakRegistry instance,
and obviously 'WeakRegistry default' needs to be modified to be
replaced with new functionality.

These inbox changes are out of date with respect to the trunk, so
would need to be merged with care.

Yeah, i did not updated the image before applying changesets.

But aside from that, is there
any reason that your changes should *not* be moved into trunk now?
If no objections, then we should include them now.

There are a couple of doits, which should be invoked after loading changes:

WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess
and of couse
Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray

Btw, i found that in image i was using,
Smalltalk specialObjectsArray size
was 50
while in #recreateSpecialObjectsArray method there was already 55 entries
(and with weak finalization it should be 56).

This should already be updated in trunk:

Name: System-dtl.333
Author: dtl
Time: 25 May 2010, 9:00:22.752 pm
Ancestors: System-spd.332
Update SmalltalkImage>>recreateSpecialObjectsArray for support of Alien and improved
finalization (Mantis 7473). Corresponding VM support is in SqS/VMMaker-dtl.175.

So after a #recreateSpecialObjectsArray the size is 56, and the last slot
is used for WeakFinalizer if present in the image.

I think that everything is ready for your WeakFinalizer updates. Unless
there are any other issues, please just go ahead and commit them to trunk.

:)

Dave

I understand that the VM changes are not yet available in the
official VMs, but this should be corrected the next time that new
VMs are distributed.

Dave

Thanks, David.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fwd: [Vm-dev] Weak finalization enh. are still not integrated into VM(s)

Stéphane Ducasse
Andreas

we cannot simply merge package of squeak (we would get all their changes and we have to sort).
I asked igor to see if he can publish code to be integrated in pharo.

> are there any plans to integrate this in Pharo?

Yes but we do not have the time.
Again for the weak changes somebody with a bit of time and concentration can help.
So far we cannot.

> As I want to do some experiments with Magma I am specially interested in Pharo-1.1 for it.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

>>> Yeah, i did not updated the image before applying changesets.

>>> There are a couple of doits, which should be invoked after loading changes:
>>>
>>> WeakArray restartFinalizationProcess
>>> and of couse
>>> Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray
>>>
>>> Btw, i found that in image i was using,
>>> Smalltalk specialObjectsArray size
>>> was 50
>>> while in #recreateSpecialObjectsArray method there was already 55 entries
>>> (and with weak finalization it should be 56).
>>
>> This should already be updated in trunk:
>>
>> Name: System-dtl.333
>> Author: dtl
>> Time: 25 May 2010, 9:00:22.752 pm
>> Ancestors: System-spd.332
>> Update SmalltalkImage>>recreateSpecialObjectsArray for support of Alien and improved
>> finalization (Mantis 7473). Corresponding VM support is in SqS/VMMaker-dtl.175.
>>
>> So after a #recreateSpecialObjectsArray the size is 56, and the last slot
>> is used for WeakFinalizer if present in the image.
>>
>> I think that everything is ready for your WeakFinalizer updates. Unless
>> there are any other issues, please just go ahead and commit them to trunk.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Dave

>>> Thanks, David.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fwd: [Vm-dev] Weak finalization enh. are still not integrated into VM(s)

David T. Lewis
FYI, the change sets were posted on Mantis, so you can use that for
reference also. I'm not sure if these are the final versions, but they
should be close.

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7473

Dave

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:52:37AM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:

> Andreas
>
> we cannot simply merge package of squeak (we would get all their changes and we have to sort).
> I asked igor to see if he can publish code to be integrated in pharo.
>
> > are there any plans to integrate this in Pharo?
>
> Yes but we do not have the time.
> Again for the weak changes somebody with a bit of time and concentration can help.
> So far we cannot.
>
> > As I want to do some experiments with Magma I am specially interested in Pharo-1.1 for it.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andreas

> >> This should already be updated in trunk:
> >>
> >> Name: System-dtl.333
> >> Author: dtl
> >> Time: 25 May 2010, 9:00:22.752 pm
> >> Ancestors: System-spd.332
> >> Update SmalltalkImage>>recreateSpecialObjectsArray for support of Alien and improved
> >> finalization (Mantis 7473). Corresponding VM support is in SqS/VMMaker-dtl.175.
> >>
> >> So after a #recreateSpecialObjectsArray the size is 56, and the last slot
> >> is used for WeakFinalizer if present in the image.
> >>
> >> I think that everything is ready for your WeakFinalizer updates. Unless
> >> there are any other issues, please just go ahead and commit them to trunk.
> >>
> >> :)
> >>
> >> Dave

Re: Fwd: [Vm-dev] Weak finalization enh. are still not integrated into VM(s)

Thanks David
too many emails and flood of information.

Stef

On Sep 22, 2010, at 2:20 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> FYI, the change sets were posted on Mantis, so you can use that for
> reference also. I'm not sure if these are the final versions, but they
> should be close.
>
>  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7473
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:52:37AM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
>> Andreas
>>
>> we cannot simply merge package of squeak (we would get all their changes and we have to sort).
>> I asked igor to see if he can publish code to be integrated in pharo.
>>
>>> are there any plans to integrate this in Pharo?
>>
>> Yes but we do not have the time.
>> Again for the weak changes somebody with a bit of time and concentration can help.
>> So far we cannot.
>>
>>> As I want to do some experiments with Magma I am specially interested in Pharo-1.1 for it.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Andreas

Re: Fwd: [Vm-dev] Weak finalization enh. are still not integrated into VM(s)

Igor Stasenko
2010/9/22 Andreas Wacknitz <[hidden email]>:
> Hi guys,
> are there any plans to integrate this in Pharo?
> As I want to do some experiments with Magma I am specially interested in
> Pharo-1.1 for it.
> Regards,
> Andreas

Yes, i will put changesets into pharo issue tracker, to integrate it
with Pharo as well.

> [...]
>
> So after a #recreateSpecialObjectsArray the size is 56, and the last slot
> is used for WeakFinalizer if present in the image.
>
> I think that everything is ready for your WeakFinalizer updates. Unless
> there are any other issues, please just go ahead and commit them to trunk.
>
> :)
>
> Dave
>

> I understand that the VM changes are not yet available in the
>
> official VMs, but this should be corrected the next time that new
>
> VMs are distributed.
>
> Dave
>

> Thanks, David.
>

> --
>
> Best regards,
>
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fwd: [Vm-dev] Weak finalization enh. are still not integrated into VM(s)

thanks for your effort.

Stef