Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: introducing my GSoC project - Improving Code Completion

Myroslava Romaniuk
[I guess the majority of people don't use the dev mailing list, so i'm resending this here.]

Hi everyone,

My name is Myroslava, I'm a 3rd year CS student in Ukraine, and my project Improving Code Completion has been selected for this year's GSoC. Some of you might know me from the 2 ESUGs I was at or maybe remember me previously doing GSoC in 2017, in any case I'm very happy to have been given this opportunity and I look forward to working with you!

I started working on code completion last year during my internship at RMoD with Marcus and Stef, and I really want to make even more progress with code completion this summer and properly implement it inside Pharo as one of the options to use. You can read more about what has been done last summer and what is yet to be done this summer in my proposal (see attached).

If you have any feedback or questions, don't hesitate to email me. Help and suggestions throughout my work on the project will be incredibly welcome too, as there's a lot to figure out how to do best. If you are interested in updates or want to keep in touch, I'm also on twitter, and I have a blog where I used to post about my progress in the last GSoC and about my internship at RMoD, and I will be writing there this summer, too. I'll also try to be more active in the mailing list and on discord :)

Cheers,
Myroslava

gsoc code completion.pdf (114K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fwd: introducing my GSoC project - Improving Code Completion

Ben Coman
Hi Myroslava,

Thanks for being the first GSoC participant to introduce yourself.  It
can be tough stepping into a new community.
In the past I've felt some disconnect from GSoC participants where
most of the communication occurs between participants and their
mentors,
while actually the aim of GSoC is for the main community to connect
with you and hopefully gain you as a long term contributor.

Over time I've seen a few conversations on this list seeking
improvements in code completion, so work here will be valued.
Good luck with it.

On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 22:18, Myroslava Romaniuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [I guess the majority of people don't use the dev mailing list, so i'm resending this here.]

Actually pharo-dev tends to have more traffic and a lots of people are
on both lists.

The lack of response may just have been yours was an informational
post with no question needing a direct response.
When I read your original post I was in a hurry and wasn't sure if
others were better placed to welcome you,
but if everyone does the same we end up looking like a tough crowd,
when actually its a really friendly and helpful community.
I'm sure you'll get a better response when you need help with something.

One thing I would ask to be considered, but you should discuss the
suitability of it with your mentors,
is that you incrementally integrate changes into Pharo 8 as early as
possible throughout GSoC,
so the community gets the best chance to benefit from your work, and
minimizes the risk of
integrating a large branch later on.  Release Early, Release Often...
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html

On behalf of the community then,  WELCOME,  and I look forward to
trying out your improvements.

cheers -ben

> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Myroslava, I'm a 3rd year CS student in Ukraine, and my project Improving Code Completion has been selected for this year's GSoC. Some of you might know me from the 2 ESUGs I was at or maybe remember me previously doing GSoC in 2017, in any case I'm very happy to have been given this opportunity and I look forward to working with you!
>
> I started working on code completion last year during my internship at RMoD with Marcus and Stef, and I really want to make even more progress with code completion this summer and properly implement it inside Pharo as one of the options to use. You can read more about what has been done last summer and what is yet to be done this summer in my proposal (see attached).
>
> If you have any feedback or questions, don't hesitate to email me. Help and suggestions throughout my work on the project will be incredibly welcome too, as there's a lot to figure out how to do best. If you are interested in updates or want to keep in touch, I'm also on twitter, and I have a blog where I used to post about my progress in the last GSoC and about my internship at RMoD, and I will be writing there this summer, too. I'll also try to be more active in the mailing list and on discord :)
>
> Cheers,
> Myroslava

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fwd: introducing my GSoC project - Improving Code Completion

Myroslava Romaniuk
Hi

Thank you Ben!! And no worries, I in no way consider the pharo community to be unwelcoming; the lack of response just made me think that i sent the message to the wrong mailing list or something, so i fired off another email just to be safe :)

And re incrementally integrating the work: thanks, that's a great idea -- i think that's what we are actually going to do!

Best regards,
Myroslava

On Sat, 11 May 2019 at 09:50, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Myroslava,

Thanks for being the first GSoC participant to introduce yourself.  It
can be tough stepping into a new community.
In the past I've felt some disconnect from GSoC participants where
most of the communication occurs between participants and their
mentors,
while actually the aim of GSoC is for the main community to connect
with you and hopefully gain you as a long term contributor.

Over time I've seen a few conversations on this list seeking
improvements in code completion, so work here will be valued.
Good luck with it.

On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 22:18, Myroslava Romaniuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [I guess the majority of people don't use the dev mailing list, so i'm resending this here.]

Actually pharo-dev tends to have more traffic and a lots of people are
on both lists.

The lack of response may just have been yours was an informational
post with no question needing a direct response.
When I read your original post I was in a hurry and wasn't sure if
others were better placed to welcome you,
but if everyone does the same we end up looking like a tough crowd,
when actually its a really friendly and helpful community.
I'm sure you'll get a better response when you need help with something.

One thing I would ask to be considered, but you should discuss the
suitability of it with your mentors,
is that you incrementally integrate changes into Pharo 8 as early as
possible throughout GSoC,
so the community gets the best chance to benefit from your work, and
minimizes the risk of
integrating a large branch later on.  Release Early, Release Often...
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html

On behalf of the community then,  WELCOME,  and I look forward to
trying out your improvements.

cheers -ben

> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Myroslava, I'm a 3rd year CS student in Ukraine, and my project Improving Code Completion has been selected for this year's GSoC. Some of you might know me from the 2 ESUGs I was at or maybe remember me previously doing GSoC in 2017, in any case I'm very happy to have been given this opportunity and I look forward to working with you!
>
> I started working on code completion last year during my internship at RMoD with Marcus and Stef, and I really want to make even more progress with code completion this summer and properly implement it inside Pharo as one of the options to use. You can read more about what has been done last summer and what is yet to be done this summer in my proposal (see attached).
>
> If you have any feedback or questions, don't hesitate to email me. Help and suggestions throughout my work on the project will be incredibly welcome too, as there's a lot to figure out how to do best. If you are interested in updates or want to keep in touch, I'm also on twitter, and I have a blog where I used to post about my progress in the last GSoC and about my internship at RMoD, and I will be writing there this summer, too. I'll also try to be more active in the mailing list and on discord :)
>
> Cheers,
> Myroslava

--
З повагою, 
Мирослава Романюк.