Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

12

Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Damien Cassou

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel(was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MITlicenseclean))

Gary Chambers-4
As I mentioned on squeak-dev...
With the StandardToolSet I get 300ms or less...

Regards, Gary

look-and-feel(was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo
MITlicenseclean))

Benoit St-Jean
If that helps, I get 7316ms !!

Pharo0.1
Latest update: #10373

On Windows XP, SP3
Dual Core, 3GHz, 2Gb RAM

Vanilla Pharo image with FFI & ODBC packages loaded.

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

With the StandardToolSet I get 300ms or less...

Regards, Gary

look-and-feel(was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo
MITlicenseclean))

Ouch! Wonder why...
(2.8 Quad core here, Vista 64bit SP1, 4GB ram, Pharo-core-10371, Arial 10 fonts via FreeType *StandardToolSet*, image backgound (clownfish)).

260ms is best time recorded.

Regards, Gary

With the StandardToolSet I get 300ms or less...

Regards, Gary

look-and-feel(was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo
MITlicenseclean))

here 308 ms
heheheh :)
so we are not that bad.
Stef

On Jul 9, 2009, at 6:22 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> [ToolSet default browse: Behavior selector: nil] timeToRun

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Adrian Lienhard
[ToolSet default browse: ClassBuilder selector: nil] timeToRun

in the latest Pharo image (dev09.07.2) on a MacBook Pro:

OBPackageBrowser: 1474ms
OBSytemBrowser: 529ms
Browser: 376ms

So, its not per se OmniBrowser, but the OB *package* browser that is
terribly slow.

Adrian

On Jul 9, 2009, at 20:32 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> here 308 ms
> heheheh :)
> so we are not that bad.
> Stef
>
> On Jul 9, 2009, at 6:22 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>
>> [ToolSet default browse: Behavior selector: nil] timeToRun

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

johnmci
As an example here I took the Pharo0.1-10371dev09.07.1 image

and looked for all senders of '=='

That takes *SO* long you wonder what is going on, well the fans spin
up on my macbook pro, keyboard gets hot..
Actually I'm not sure if it ever comes back.

If I then do look for all implementors of '==' , there is one, and ask
for all senders via the menu, that takes a few seconds
but then clicking on a sender, which then shows the list of senders
for that sender takes well seconds, minutes?
Sorry completely un-usable.

On 9-Jul-09, at 11:47 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> [ToolSet default browse: ClassBuilder selector: nil] timeToRun
>
> in the latest Pharo image (dev09.07.2) on a MacBook Pro:
>
> OBPackageBrowser: 1474ms
> OBSytemBrowser: 529ms
> Browser: 376ms
>
> So, its not per se OmniBrowser, but the OB *package* browser that is
> terribly slow.
>
> Adrian

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
squeaker68882
=
=
=

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Schwab,Wilhelm K
OUCH!!!!  That's quite an example; just for giggles, I started up a 3.9 polymorph image and retraced my steps (via message names, same as in Pharo) and  had a prompt reply.  After doing that, I found that Pharo (win32) had indeed completed the task.

The good news is that _hopefully_ profiling will reveal a clue as to where the time goes.

Bill

As an example here I took the Pharo0.1-10371dev09.07.1 image

and looked for all senders of '=='

That takes *SO* long you wonder what is going on, well the fans spin up on my macbook pro, keyboard gets hot..
Actually I'm not sure if it ever comes back.

If I then do look for all implementors of '==' , there is one, and ask for all senders via the menu, that takes a few seconds but then clicking on a sender, which then shows the list of senders for that sender takes well seconds, minutes?
Sorry completely un-usable.

On 9-Jul-09, at 11:47 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> [ToolSet default browse: ClassBuilder selector: nil] timeToRun
>
> in the latest Pharo image (dev09.07.2) on a MacBook Pro:
>
> OBPackageBrowser: 1474ms
> OBSytemBrowser: 529ms
> Browser: 376ms
>
> So, its not per se OmniBrowser, but the OB *package* browser that is
> terribly slow.
>
> Adrian

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
squeaker68882
=
=
=

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Lukas Renggli
> OUCH!!!!  That's quite an example; just for giggles, I started up a 3.9 polymorph image and retraced my steps (via message names, same as in Pharo) and  had a prompt reply.  After doing that, I found that Pharo (win32) had indeed completed the task.

Again, this has nothing to do with Pharo, OmniBrowser or Polymorph.

This is PackageInfo that is so slow when trying to find out the owning
package of each of the 6334 methods. If the display of the package for
every method is removed the sender browser opens almost instantly.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Michael Rueger-6
Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> OUCH!!!!  That's quite an example; just for giggles, I started up a
>> 3.9 polymorph image and retraced my steps (via message names, same
>> as in Pharo) and  had a prompt reply.  After doing that, I found
>> that Pharo (win32) had indeed completed the task.
>
> Again, this has nothing to do with Pharo, OmniBrowser or Polymorph.
>
> This is PackageInfo that is so slow when trying to find out the
> owning package of each of the 6334 methods. If the display of the
> package for every method is removed the sender browser opens almost
> instantly.

Then we should remove or at least temporarily disable it. The user
doesn't care why something is slow.

michael

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Schwab,Wilhelm K
+ aLargeInteger :)

>> OUCH!!!!  That's quite an example; just for giggles, I started up a
>> 3.9 polymorph image and retraced my steps (via message names, same as
>> in Pharo) and  had a prompt reply.  After doing that, I found that
>> Pharo (win32) had indeed completed the task.
>
> Again, this has nothing to do with Pharo, OmniBrowser or Polymorph.
>
> This is PackageInfo that is so slow when trying to find out the owning
> package of each of the 6334 methods. If the display of the package for
> every method is removed the sender browser opens almost instantly.

Then we should remove or at least temporarily disable it. The user doesn't care why something is slow.

michael

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability andlook-and-feel(was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re:[ANN] Pharo MITlicenseclean))

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Dumb question: what part of ToolSet askForDefault makes the actual change to the default?  My real question is what would I do to script setting the standard tool set as the default?

Bill

(2.8 Quad core here, Vista 64bit SP1, 4GB ram, Pharo-core-10371, Arial 10 fonts via FreeType *StandardToolSet*, image backgound (clownfish)).

260ms is best time recorded.

Regards, Gary

With the StandardToolSet I get 300ms or less...

Regards, Gary

look-and-feel(was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo
MITlicenseclean))

Good question... I was also puzzled because changing the ToolSet does
not change the browser.

try

SystemBrowser askForDefault

or directly do

SystemBrowser default: Browser

Cheers,
Adrian

On Jul 9, 2009, at 23:41 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Dumb question: what part of ToolSet askForDefault makes the actual
> change to the default?  My real question is what would I do to
> script setting the standard tool set as the default?
>
> Bill
>

> ________________________________

yes probably but I really needed that when curving out etoy
On Jul 9, 2009, at 11:10 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>> OUCH!!!!  That's quite an example; just for giggles, I started up a
>>> 3.9 polymorph image and retraced my steps (via message names, same
>>> as in Pharo) and  had a prompt reply.  After doing that, I found
>>> that Pharo (win32) had indeed completed the task.
>>
>> Again, this has nothing to do with Pharo, OmniBrowser or Polymorph.
>>
>> This is PackageInfo that is so slow when trying to find out the
>> owning package of each of the 6334 methods. If the display of the
>> package for every method is removed the sender browser opens almost
>> instantly.
>
> Then we should remove or at least temporarily disable it. The user
> doesn't care why something is slow.
>
> michael

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability andlook-and-feel(was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re:[ANN] Pharo MITlicenseclean))

welcome to squeak....
On Jul 10, 2009, at 6:31 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Good question... I was also puzzled because changing the ToolSet does
> not change the browser.
>
> try
>
> SystemBrowser askForDefault
>
> or directly do
>
> SystemBrowser default: Browser
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On Jul 9, 2009, at 23:41 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Dumb question: what part of ToolSet askForDefault makes the actual
>> change to the default?  My real question is what would I do to
>> script setting the standard tool set as the default?
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> ________________________________

Im wirting a real package object to replace package info.
I hope to have something by the end of the summer.

Stef

On Jul 9, 2009, at 11:03 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> OUCH!!!!  That's quite an example; just for giggles, I started up a
>> 3.9 polymorph image and retraced my steps (via message names, same
>> as in Pharo) and  had a prompt reply.  After doing that, I found
>> that Pharo (win32) had indeed completed the task.
>
> Again, this has nothing to do with Pharo, OmniBrowser or Polymorph.
>
> This is PackageInfo that is so slow when trying to find out the owning
> package of each of the 6334 methods. If the display of the package for
> every method is removed the sender browser opens almost instantly.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

methodDisplayStringForClass: class selector: sel

        ^ String streamContents: [ :s |
                                s nextPutAll: class name ;
                                        nextPutAll: ' ' ; nextPutAll: sel ;
                                        nextPutAll: ' {' ;
                                        nextPutAll: ((class organization categoryOfElement: sel) ifNil:
['']) ;
                                        nextPutAll: '} ']

                                "
                                        nextPut: $[ ;
                                        nextPutAll: (PackageOrganizer default mostSpecificPackageOfClass:
class ifNone: [PackageInfo named: '**unpackaged**']) packageName ;
                                        nextPut: $]]."

On Jul 9, 2009, at 11:10 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>> OUCH!!!!  That's quite an example; just for giggles, I started up a
>>> 3.9 polymorph image and retraced my steps (via message names, same
>>> as in Pharo) and  had a prompt reply.  After doing that, I found
>>> that Pharo (win32) had indeed completed the task.
>>
>> Again, this has nothing to do with Pharo, OmniBrowser or Polymorph.
>>
>> This is PackageInfo that is so slow when trying to find out the
>> owning package of each of the 6334 methods. If the display of the
>> package for every method is removed the sender browser opens almost
>> instantly.
>
> Then we should remove or at least temporarily disable it. The user
> doesn't care why something is slow.
>
> michael

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 09.07.2009 23:03, Lukas Renggli wrote:
OUCH!!!!  That's quite an example; just for giggles, I started up a 3.9 polymorph image and retraced my steps (via message names, same as in Pharo) and  had a prompt reply.  After doing that, I found that Pharo (win32) had indeed completed the task.

Again, this has nothing to do with Pharo, OmniBrowser or Polymorph.

This is PackageInfo that is so slow when trying to find out the owning
package of each of the 6334 methods. If the display of the package for
every method is removed the sender browser opens almost instantly.

Lukas

Hmmm, really? I do have a fast machine, and it ran in 1,7 seconds for me, but when I run TimeProfileBrowser on the block (first time, later runs alot of stuff is already cached and thus won't show up as prominently if you do TimeProfile on opening a batch of windows ), I get the following percentages:
- 32% building the dynamic "all" category
    - 19% reading all subclass selectors (these are then cached).
    - 13% reading the timestamp of the compiledMethods /(these are then cached) from sources to see if they're recent
- 20% finding extension classes, amongst other things PackageInfo here spends half that time doing an includes: check with an OrderedCollection with 174 elements...
-41% building the OB UI.
-7% GC'ing

A good increase in response time could probably be seen by, as you said, not selecting all category by default, instead promising of it's calculation (In VisualWorks anyways, for those who don't know, it's the same as a fork which returns a value, but blocks if the value it attempted to be used before it's finished calculated).

2 small Performance "bugs" I encountered while checking the methods:
OBPackagesOrClassNode>>addUnpackagedCategories: categories to: pkgs does:
    SystemOrganization categories asSet difference: categories
Looking at what the includes check in difference: is done against, it's clear the code should be:
    SystemOrganization categories difference: categories asSet.
Difference: 500 repetitions in the debugger I had open at the time: 10866 ms vs 581 ms. (20 times faster)

PackageInfo >> externalClasses
reads:
    myClasses := self classesAndMetaClasses.
then does an includes: check, could add an asSet on end there:
    myClasses := self classesAndMetaClasses asSet.
Difference: 500 repetitions in the debugger I had open at the time: 105444ms vs  11447 ms (9 times faster)

With these 2 changes, the 20% in finding extension classes was reduced to 11%.

Cheers,
Henry

UseSetForIncludes.1.cs (822 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability and look-and-feel (was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re: [ANN] Pharo MIT licenseclean))

keith1y
Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> On 09.07.2009 23:03, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>> OUCH!!!!  That's quite an example; just for giggles, I started up a 3.9 polymorph image and retraced my steps (via message names, same as in Pharo) and  had a prompt reply.  After doing that, I found that Pharo (win32) had indeed completed the task.
>>>

>> Again, this has nothing to do with Pharo, OmniBrowser or Polymorph.
>>
>> This is PackageInfo that is so slow when trying to find out the owning
>> package of each of the 6334 methods. If the display of the package for
>> every method is removed the sender browser opens almost instantly.
>>
>> Lukas

I don't know if this helps but in MC1.5 Matthew sped up the PackageInfo
routines for scanning the image by a factor of 10 or so.

Keith

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Re: Usability andlook-and-feel(was Re: The future ofSqueak & Pharo (was Re:[ANN] Pharo MITlicenseclean))

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Adrian,

Thanks for the clarification. Taking note of Gary's emphasis of the standard toolset, I dug a little and came up with this:

   ToolSet default:StandardToolSet.
   SystemBrowser default:Browser.

Does that do the job?

Bill