Fwd: [squeak-dev] macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

Fwd: [squeak-dev] macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

Stéphane Ducasse
> [...]
>> Oh it just crashed...
>>
>> ADPCMCodecPlugin, untested.
>> Squeak3D, Likely busted due to use of (int) data types in 64bit mode.
>> B2DPlugin, untested.
>> BitBltPlugin, untested.
>> BMPReadWriterPlugin, untested.
>> ZipPlugin, untested.
>> DSAPrims, untested.
>> SqueakFFIPrims, untested.
>> FFTPlugin, untested.
>> FloatArrayPlugin, untested.
>> GeniePlugin, untested.
>> HostWindowPlugin,  No support yet
>> JPEGReaderPlugin,  untested.
>> Klatt, untested.
>> LargeIntegers, untested.
>> Matrix2x3Plugin, untested.
>> MiscPrimitivePlugin, untested.
>> ObjectiveCPlugin, untested.
>> RePlugin, Likely busted due to use of (int) data types in 64bit mode.
>> SecurityPlugin, untested.
>> SoundCodecPrims, Likely busted due to use of (int) data types in 64bit mode.
>> SoundGenerationPlugin, Likely busted due to use of (int) data types in 64bit mode.
>> StarSqueakPlugin, untested.
>> SurfacePlugin, untested.
>> UUIDPlugin untested.
>>
>> Possibly Large Integers may have a problem in 64bit image mode, but we have to have some
>> discussion if the (unsigned int *) used by one routine is on purpose or an oversight.
>>
>> 64 bit images.
>>
>> We need to built a 64bit Closure image. **** I've no time to do that. ***
>>
>> David T Lewis provided a somewhat current Squeak.image which you'll find on the ftp site.
>>
>> If you build a 64bit image you need to do that on a PowerPC, or make a copy of  your VM on macIntel
>> and flip the  "Open in 32-bit mode" and the "Open in Rosetta" to on. You will only see the "Open in 32bit mode" if it's a 64bit VM,
>> and the "Open in Rosetta on os-x for 10.5 or 10.6 (if you installed it)
>> Follow the obvious instructions.
>>
>> No doubt some is required to take the code and build a MC change set for Pharo or Squeak Thrunk use so that
>> anyone can convert an existing image.
>>
>> Also see
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5239
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5240
>>
>> Building your own VM?
>>
>> Hopefully someone will attempt this so I can see if I checked in all the changes.
>>
>> 32bit image VM pick SqueakPureObjc and set
>> #define SQ_VI_BYTES_PER_WORD 4
>> for a
>> 64bit image reading VM  pick SqueakPureObjc64*64 and set
>> #define SQ_VI_BYTES_PER_WORD 8
>> in the required places.
>>
>> PS You'll find that building a 32/64 VM using GNU's tool chain will give you lousy performance
>> when running as a 64bit VM, more on this later.

>> Oh and lastly I'm looking for some paid work (smalltalk or objective-c (mac/iPhone) If anyone
>> requires a Smalltalk consultant, or an iPhone app built, please email me.
>>
>> --
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

johnmci

On 2009-12-04, at 4:30 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> john needs beta testers....Do not forget
>> I know that we are all terribly busy.

Yes , *cough* feedback and response has been zero...
Maybe I should push the self-destruct button on the 3.x, 4.x VM series.
Where is that red button? Must be here somewhere in the office clutter...

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

Michael Roberts-2
Hi, I did a quick test on the 32bit version on 10.5.8.  I took a pharo
1.1 core 11049 and told it to update from the network.  It processed
all the updates (took some time) and drew the "ok" dialog.  However it
then hung. I am not sure if that is related to the VM or not.  in a
spare moment I will dig deeper.

thanks,
Mike

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM, John M McIntosh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2009-12-04, at 4:30 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>>> john needs beta testers....Do not forget
>>> I know that we are all terribly busy.
>>>

> Yes , *cough* feedback and response has been zero...
> Maybe I should push the self-destruct button on the 3.x, 4.x VM series.
> Where is that red button? Must be here somewhere in the office clutter...

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

Henrik Sperre Johansen
That's pretty normal, it's happened to me a lot of times, at least.
If you leave if for a while, it'll starts responding again.
No idea why it happens though, I glanced at the code one time it
happened, but no neurons fired :/

Cheers,
Henry

On 07.12.2009 21:49, Michael Roberts wrote:

> Hi, I did a quick test on the 32bit version on 10.5.8.  I took a pharo
> 1.1 core 11049 and told it to update from the network.  It processed
> all the updates (took some time) and drew the "ok" dialog.  However it
> then hung. I am not sure if that is related to the VM or not.  in a
> spare moment I will dig deeper.
>
> thanks,
> Mike
>
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM, John M McIntosh
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>> Yes , *cough* feedback and response has been zero...
>> Maybe I should push the self-destruct button on the 3.x, 4.x VM series.
>> Where is that red button? Must be here somewhere in the office clutter...
>>
>> --
>> John M. McIntosh<[hidden email]>     Twitter:  squeaker68882
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

Michael Roberts-2
ok thanks, I shall be more patient next time!

Mike

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's pretty normal, it's happened to me a lot of times, at least.
> If you leave if for a while, it'll starts responding again.
> No idea why it happens though, I glanced at the code one time it
> happened, but no neurons fired :/
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> On 07.12.2009 21:49, Michael Roberts wrote:
>> Hi, I did a quick test on the 32bit version on 10.5.8.  I took a pharo
>> 1.1 core 11049 and told it to update from the network.  It processed
>> all the updates (took some time) and drew the "ok" dialog.  However it
>> then hung. I am not sure if that is related to the VM or not.  in a
>> spare moment I will dig deeper.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Mike
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM, John M McIntosh
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> Yes , *cough* feedback and response has been zero...
>>> Maybe I should push the self-destruct button on the 3.x, 4.x VM series.
>>> Where is that red button? Must be here somewhere in the office clutter...
>>>
>>> --
>>> ===========================================================================
>>> John M. McIntosh<[hidden email]>     Twitter:  squeaker68882
>>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

johnmci
Ah, if someone can describe the test case:

which I think is take a pharo 1.1 core 11049 then do update?
I'll see where it's hung.

would that be the
pharo1.1-11073-alphadev09.12.1.zip
or
pharo1.1-11073-alphaweb09.12.1.zip

from the 1.1 alpha links on the main pharo web page?

On 2009-12-07, at 1:33 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> That's pretty normal, it's happened to me a lot of times, at least.
> If you leave if for a while, it'll starts responding again.
> No idea why it happens though, I glanced at the code one time it
> happened, but no neurons fired :/
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> On 07.12.2009 21:49, Michael Roberts wrote:
>> Hi, I did a quick test on the 32bit version on 10.5.8.  I took a pharo
>> 1.1 core 11049 and told it to update from the network.  It processed
>> all the updates (took some time) and drew the "ok" dialog.  However it
>> then hung. I am not sure if that is related to the VM or not.  in a
>> spare moment I will dig deeper.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Mike
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 7:33 PM, John M McIntosh
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> Yes , *cough* feedback and response has been zero...
>>> Maybe I should push the self-destruct button on the 3.x, 4.x VM series.
>>> Where is that red button? Must be here somewhere in the office clutter...
>>>
>>> --
>>> ===========================================================================
>>> John M. McIntosh<[hidden email]>     Twitter:  squeaker68882
>>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

Michael Roberts-2
Hi John, it was not the pharo image, but the pharo core image.  You
can get them direct from the inria download area. This is linked off
the pharo-project site.  11049 was an internal update so start from

http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24763/PharoCore-1.1-11043-alpha.zip

I will do this myself just to check the test case.

thanks,
Mike

On Monday, December 7, 2009, John M McIntosh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, if someone can describe the test case:
>
> which I think is take a pharo 1.1 core 11049 then do update?
> I'll see where it's hung.
>
> would that be the
> pharo1.1-11073-alphadev09.12.1.zip
> or
> pharo1.1-11073-alphaweb09.12.1.zip
>
> from the 1.1 alpha links on the main pharo web page?
>

> On 2009-12-07, at 1:33 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
>
>> That's pretty normal, it's happened to me a lot of times, at least.
>> If you leave if for a while, it'll starts responding again.
>> No idea why it happens though, I glanced at the code one time it
>> happened, but no neurons fired :/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Henry
>>
>> On 07.12.2009 21:49, Michael Roberts wrote:
>>> Hi, I did a quick test on the 32bit version on 10.5.8.  I took a pharo
>>> 1.1 core 11049 and told it to update from the network.  It processed
>>> all the updates (took some time) and drew the "ok" dialog.  However it
>>> then hung. I am not sure if that is related to the VM or not.  in a
>>> spare moment I will dig deeper.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Mike

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

Marcus Denker-3
Hi,

This "image need a while after update" is normal.

I think it has to do with the really bad Weak* stuff... We should look at the fixes
that Martin von Loewis did back in end of 2007 when he visited SCG.

        Marcus

On Dec 8, 2009, at 8:46 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

> Hi John, it was not the pharo image, but the pharo core image.  You
> can get them direct from the inria download area. This is linked off
> the pharo-project site.  11049 was an internal update so start from
>
> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24763/PharoCore-1.1-11043-alpha.zip
>
> I will do this myself just to check the test case.
>
> thanks,
> Mike
>
> On Monday, December 7, 2009, John M McIntosh
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ah, if someone can describe the test case:
>>
>> which I think is take a pharo 1.1 core 11049 then do update?
>> I'll see where it's hung.
>>
>> would that be the
>> pharo1.1-11073-alphadev09.12.1.zip
>> or
>> pharo1.1-11073-alphaweb09.12.1.zip
>>
>> from the 1.1 alpha links on the main pharo web page?
>>

>> On 2009-12-07, at 1:33 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
>>
>>> That's pretty normal, it's happened to me a lot of times, at least.
>>> If you leave if for a while, it'll starts responding again.
>>> No idea why it happens though, I glanced at the code one time it
>>> happened, but no neurons fired :/
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Henry

>> --
>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: macintosh cocoa 32/64bit & 64/64bit VM goes BETA

Michael Roberts-2
ok that's useful to know.  it's a poor test case, i could not recreate it!

would be good to add the fixes to the tracker.

cheers,
Mike