Fwd: widget to show progress

Usman Bhatti
Hello all,

I am looking for a widget/control in Pharo that shows the progress of a process that takes undeterministic time.

usman

Re: Fwd: widget to show progress

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Me too :)

I think I will implement one soon :)
Ben

On May 19, 2013, at 1:08 PM, Usman Bhatti <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello all,

I am looking for a widget/control in Pharo that shows the progress of a process that takes undeterministic time.

usman

Re: Fwd: widget to show progress

Igor Stasenko
Here is a simple "widget" for you:

Cursor wait showWhile: [
 ... do something which may end, but you cannot predict when...
]

:)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Fwd: widget to show progress

Denis Kudriashov
Hi

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

On 19 May 2013 22:09, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2013/5/19 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Here is a simple "widget" for you:
>>
>> Cursor wait showWhile: [
>>  ... do something which may end, but you cannot predict when...
>> ]
>

> There is nice post about why it is bad
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/travis/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Cursor_consider_showWhile:_%20[Harmful]&entry=3432339015

Completely agree with that. Even without reading that post i can say why:
- you changing the global state, and if your UI system complex enough
(and it tends to grow
more and more complex in time), eventually you may end up with having
two pieces of functionality,
both trying to set cursor (unique global resource) to something they
prefer right now,
without being aware that other party also wants to change it..
The result of it, you can see in many today's desktop applications
(not pharo) - cursor flickering changing from one shape into another,
while application processing something .. which is very annoying.

However pharo image right now having like 90 senders of this message
and getting rid all of them
is going to be tedious.
I just recommended something which is available now.. if people can't
wait for better solution,
which obviously should replace existing one.
:)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Me too :)

I think I will implement one soon :)

Any progress on this ? ;)