GAUCHO 1.0 released!

12

GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Fernando olivero
Hi Pharo programmers!

We are  happy to announce that Gaucho 1.0 is released.

Gaucho is a direct manipulation environment for software.

If you want to try it out go to http://gaucho.inf.usi.ch/ .

Gaucho1.0 works in Pharo1.0.

In the releases section you'll find the installation script , and a description of all the features of Gaucho1.0.

Any  feedback you are willing to provide is welcomed!
In the website you will find a bug issue tracker and the mailing list description.
Or you can also send us an email for any other purpose, such as demo-request or inquiries about the Gaucho project.

Hope you enjoy using it as much as we do!

Fernando Olivero
University Of Lugano

pd:  Be ready for the next version, with many improvements and added features! Soon to come.

pd2: (Extract from the web page)

Version: 1.0

Features included in this version:
  • Direct manipulation of Classes, methods and packages
  • Easily perform rename refactorings of classes and methods
  • Draggable arrows for manipulating the inheritance relationships between classes
  • Creating and runing tests for all the classes in the system
  • Creating workspaces for taking snapshots of the current pampas
  • Smart searching for any object in the system
  • Keyboard shortcuts associated to the most important operations
  • Logging all the changes to the system
  • Saving/Loading developers and workspaces to the default local directory

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Igor Stasenko
Cool stuff!

A fresh different workflow for coding.
Time will show, how better it is comparing to traditional one. :)

2010/6/7 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Pharo programmers!
> We are  happy to announce that Gaucho 1.0 is released.
> Gaucho is a direct manipulation environment for software.
> If you want to try it out go to http://gaucho.inf.usi.ch/ .
> Gaucho1.0 works in Pharo1.0.
> In the releases section you'll find the installation script , and a
> description of all the features of Gaucho1.0.
> Any  feedback you are willing to provide is welcomed!
> In the website you will find a bug issue tracker and the mailing list
> description.
> Or you can also send us an email for any other purpose, such as demo-request
> or inquiries about the Gaucho project.
>
> Hope you enjoy using it as much as we do!
> Fernando Olivero
> University Of Lugano
>
> pd:  Be ready for the next version, with many improvements and added
> features! Soon to come.
> pd2: (Extract from the web page)
> Version: 1.0
> Features included in this version:
>
> Direct manipulation of Classes, methods and packages
> Easily perform rename refactorings of classes and methods
> Draggable arrows for manipulating the inheritance relationships between
> classes
> Creating and runing tests for all the classes in the system
> Creating workspaces for taking snapshots of the current pampas
> Smart searching for any object in the system
> Keyboard shortcuts associated to the most important operations
> Logging all the changes to the system
> Saving/Loading developers and workspaces to the default local directory

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

did you use a specific package to bind your keymapping?

How do you want to community to give you feedback (for your research papers :))?

Stef
On Jun 7, 2010, at 12:22 AM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> Hi Pharo programmers!
>
> We are  happy to announce that Gaucho 1.0 is released.
>
> Gaucho is a direct manipulation environment for software.
>
> If you want to try it out go to http://gaucho.inf.usi.ch/ .
>
> Gaucho1.0 works in Pharo1.0.
>
> In the releases section you'll find the installation script , and a description of all the features of Gaucho1.0.
>
> Any  feedback you are willing to provide is welcomed!
> In the website you will find a bug issue tracker and the mailing list description.
> Or you can also send us an email for any other purpose, such as demo-request or inquiries about the Gaucho project.
>

> Hope you enjoy using it as much as we do!
>
> Fernando Olivero
> University Of Lugano
>

> pd:  Be ready for the next version, with many improvements and added features! Soon to come.
>
> pd2: (Extract from the web page)

> Version: 1.0
>
> Features included in this version:
> • Direct manipulation of Classes, methods and packages
> • Easily perform rename refactorings of classes and methods
> • Draggable arrows for manipulating the inheritance relationships between classes
> • Creating and runing tests for all the classes in the system
> • Creating workspaces for taking snapshots of the current pampas
> • Smart searching for any object in the system
> • Keyboard shortcuts associated to the most important operations
> • Logging all the changes to the system
> • Saving/Loading developers and workspaces to the default local directory

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

laurent laffont

2010/6/7 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>
Hi Pharo programmers!

We are  happy to announce that Gaucho 1.0 is released.

Gaucho is a direct manipulation environment for software.

If you want to try it out go to http://gaucho.inf.usi.ch/ .

Gaucho1.0 works in Pharo1.0.

In the releases section you'll find the installation script , and a description of all the features of Gaucho1.0.

Any  feedback you are willing to provide is welcomed!
In the website you will find a bug issue tracker and the mailing list description.
Or you can also send us an email for any other purpose, such as demo-request or inquiries about the Gaucho project.

Hope you enjoy using it as much as we do!

Fernando Olivero
University Of Lugano

Hi,

I suggest you put the screencasts on Vimeo as the quality is far better than YouTube. That's what I use for Pharocasts, IMHO it's really important that we can read the text.

Also note some people prefer to download the screencasts, can you put a link to original videos ?

Gaucho looks great. Marketing is really important too :)

Cheers,

pd:  Be ready for the next version, with many improvements and added features! Soon to come.

pd2: (Extract from the web page)

Version: 1.0

Features included in this version:
  • Direct manipulation of Classes, methods and packages
  • Easily perform rename refactorings of classes and methods
  • Draggable arrows for manipulating the inheritance relationships between classes
  • Creating and runing tests for all the classes in the system
  • Creating workspaces for taking snapshots of the current pampas
  • Smart searching for any object in the system
  • Keyboard shortcuts associated to the most important operations
  • Logging all the changes to the system
  • Saving/Loading developers and workspaces to the default local directory

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Lukas Renggli
Hi Fernando

Very cool. I want to try but run into several problems:

  http://code.google.com/p/gauchoenvironment/issues/detail?id=1
  http://code.google.com/p/gauchoenvironment/issues/detail?id=2

It would be cool if you could provide a ready-made image, or even a
one-click download.

Lukas

2010/6/7 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Pharo programmers!
> We are  happy to announce that Gaucho 1.0 is released.
> Gaucho is a direct manipulation environment for software.
> If you want to try it out go to http://gaucho.inf.usi.ch/ .
> Gaucho1.0 works in Pharo1.0.
> In the releases section you'll find the installation script , and a
> description of all the features of Gaucho1.0.
> Any  feedback you are willing to provide is welcomed!
> In the website you will find a bug issue tracker and the mailing list
> description.
> Or you can also send us an email for any other purpose, such as demo-request
> or inquiries about the Gaucho project.
>
> Hope you enjoy using it as much as we do!
> Fernando Olivero
> University Of Lugano
>
> pd:  Be ready for the next version, with many improvements and added
> features! Soon to come.
> pd2: (Extract from the web page)
> Version: 1.0
> Features included in this version:
>
> Direct manipulation of Classes, methods and packages
> Easily perform rename refactorings of classes and methods
> Draggable arrows for manipulating the inheritance relationships between
> classes
> Creating and runing tests for all the classes in the system
> Creating workspaces for taking snapshots of the current pampas
> Smart searching for any object in the system
> Keyboard shortcuts associated to the most important operations
> Logging all the changes to the system
> Saving/Loading developers and workspaces to the default local directory

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Fernando olivero
On Jun 7, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Hi Fernando
>
> Very cool. I want to try but run into several problems:

Thanks!

>  http://code.google.com/p/gauchoenvironment/issues/detail?id=1

I've did not plan it to work on PharoCore, only on Pharo1.0.
Good point! i've added several dependencies to the ConfigurationOfGaucho.

FIXED.

now it works on Pharo1.0 and PharoCore1.0.

>  http://code.google.com/p/gauchoenvironment/issues/detail?id=2

I've added untested last minute changes to the GauchoFileLoader, sorry for that. FIXED.

> It would be cool if you could provide a ready-made image, or even a
> one-click download.

Ok! will prepare a stripped Pharo1.0 image and put a download link in the web site.

> Lukas

Thanks Lukas for the remarks and bug reports!

Fernando

> 2010/6/7 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Pharo programmers!
>> We are  happy to announce that Gaucho 1.0 is released.
>> Gaucho is a direct manipulation environment for software.
>> If you want to try it out go to http://gaucho.inf.usi.ch/ .
>> Gaucho1.0 works in Pharo1.0.
>> In the releases section you'll find the installation script , and a
>> description of all the features of Gaucho1.0.
>> Any  feedback you are willing to provide is welcomed!
>> In the website you will find a bug issue tracker and the mailing list
>> description.
>> Or you can also send us an email for any other purpose, such as demo-request
>> or inquiries about the Gaucho project.
>>
>> Hope you enjoy using it as much as we do!
>> Fernando Olivero
>> University Of Lugano
>>
>> pd:  Be ready for the next version, with many improvements and added
>> features! Soon to come.
>> pd2: (Extract from the web page)
>> Version: 1.0
>> Features included in this version:
>>
>> Direct manipulation of Classes, methods and packages
>> Easily perform rename refactorings of classes and methods
>> Draggable arrows for manipulating the inheritance relationships between
>> classes
>> Creating and runing tests for all the classes in the system
>> Creating workspaces for taking snapshots of the current pampas
>> Smart searching for any object in the system
>> Keyboard shortcuts associated to the most important operations
>> Logging all the changes to the system
>> Saving/Loading developers and workspaces to the default local directory

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Fernando olivero

On Jun 7, 2010, at 8:12 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

Hi,

I suggest you put the screencasts on Vimeo as the quality is far better than YouTube. That's what I use for Pharocasts, IMHO it's really important that we can read the text.

Also note some people prefer to download the screencasts, can you put a link to original videos ?

I agree! Thanks for the comments!

I will migrate the screencasts to vimeo ASAP, and put a download link also.

Gaucho looks great. Marketing is really important too :)

Cheers,

Thanks Laurent!

Fernando

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Lukas Renggli
Great, now it works.

Lukas

On 7 June 2010 09:55, Fernando olivero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> Hi Fernando
>>
>> Very cool. I want to try but run into several problems:
>>

> Thanks!
>

>>  http://code.google.com/p/gauchoenvironment/issues/detail?id=1
>
> I've did not plan it to work on PharoCore, only on Pharo1.0.
> Good point! i've added several dependencies to the ConfigurationOfGaucho.
>
> FIXED.
>
> now it works on Pharo1.0 and PharoCore1.0.
>

>>  http://code.google.com/p/gauchoenvironment/issues/detail?id=2
>>

> I've added untested last minute changes to the GauchoFileLoader, sorry for that. FIXED.
>
>> It would be cool if you could provide a ready-made image, or even a
>> one-click download.
>>

> Ok! will prepare a stripped Pharo1.0 image and put a download link in the web site.
>
>> Lukas
>>

> Thanks Lukas for the remarks and bug reports!
>
> Fernando
>

>> 2010/6/7 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi Pharo programmers!
>>> We are  happy to announce that Gaucho 1.0 is released.
>>> Gaucho is a direct manipulation environment for software.
>>> If you want to try it out go to http://gaucho.inf.usi.ch/ .
>>> Gaucho1.0 works in Pharo1.0.
>>> In the releases section you'll find the installation script , and a
>>> description of all the features of Gaucho1.0.
>>> Any  feedback you are willing to provide is welcomed!
>>> In the website you will find a bug issue tracker and the mailing list
>>> description.
>>> Or you can also send us an email for any other purpose, such as demo-request
>>> or inquiries about the Gaucho project.
>>>
>>> Hope you enjoy using it as much as we do!
>>> Fernando Olivero
>>> University Of Lugano
>>>
>>> pd:  Be ready for the next version, with many improvements and added
>>> features! Soon to come.
>>> pd2: (Extract from the web page)
>>> Version: 1.0
>>> Features included in this version:
>>>
>>> Direct manipulation of Classes, methods and packages
>>> Easily perform rename refactorings of classes and methods
>>> Draggable arrows for manipulating the inheritance relationships between
>>> classes
>>> Creating and runing tests for all the classes in the system
>>> Creating workspaces for taking snapshots of the current pampas
>>> Smart searching for any object in the system
>>> Keyboard shortcuts associated to the most important operations
>>> Logging all the changes to the system
>>> Saving/Loading developers and workspaces to the default local directory

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Tudor Girba
Hi Fernando,

Very nice job.

Cheers,
Doru

On 7 Jun 2010, at 08:54, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Hi Fernando
>
> Very cool. I want to try but run into several problems:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/gauchoenvironment/issues/detail?id=1
>  http://code.google.com/p/gauchoenvironment/issues/detail?id=2
>
> It would be cool if you could provide a ready-made image, or even a
> one-click download.
>
> Lukas
>
> 2010/6/7 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Pharo programmers!
>> We are  happy to announce that Gaucho 1.0 is released.
>> Gaucho is a direct manipulation environment for software.
>> If you want to try it out go to http://gaucho.inf.usi.ch/ .
>> Gaucho1.0 works in Pharo1.0.
>> In the releases section you'll find the installation script , and a
>> description of all the features of Gaucho1.0.
>> Any  feedback you are willing to provide is welcomed!
>> In the website you will find a bug issue tracker and the mailing list
>> description.
>> Or you can also send us an email for any other purpose, such as
>> demo-request
>> or inquiries about the Gaucho project.
>>
>> Hope you enjoy using it as much as we do!
>> Fernando Olivero
>> University Of Lugano
>>
>> pd:  Be ready for the next version, with many improvements and added
>> features! Soon to come.
>> pd2: (Extract from the web page)
>> Version: 1.0
>> Features included in this version:
>>
>> Direct manipulation of Classes, methods and packages
>> Easily perform rename refactorings of classes and methods
>> Draggable arrows for manipulating the inheritance relationships
>> between
>> classes
>> Creating and runing tests for all the classes in the system
>> Creating workspaces for taking snapshots of the current pampas
>> Smart searching for any object in the system
>> Keyboard shortcuts associated to the most important operations
>> Logging all the changes to the system
>> Saving/Loading developers and workspaces to the default local
>> directory

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Fernando olivero

On Jun 7, 2010, at 8:01 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> did you use a specific package to bind your keymapping?

I've implemented a new EventHandler hierarchy.   With different policies that can be plugged to any morph and dictate how it responds to user interaction.
I  have to polish the framework a little before separating it from Gaucho, but so far i like how extendable and customizable it is for the GauchoMorphs.

I'll have to look at the recent developments in the keybidings to see differences, similarities and maybe merging both.

> How do you want to community to give you feedback (for your research papers :))?

Would be nice to send feedback
        * using the Gaucho mailing list (accesible also in the website)
        * here: http://groups.google.com/group/gauchoenvironment/web/gaucho-feedback  (accesible also in the website)
        * or send comments to [hidden email]
        * or to here  when its related to Pharo

Fernando

> Stef
> On Jun 7, 2010, at 12:22 AM, Fernando olivero wrote:
>
>> Hi Pharo programmers!
>>
>> We are  happy to announce that Gaucho 1.0 is released.
>>
>> Gaucho is a direct manipulation environment for software.
>>
>> If you want to try it out go to http://gaucho.inf.usi.ch/ .
>>
>> Gaucho1.0 works in Pharo1.0.
>>
>> In the releases section you'll find the installation script , and a description of all the features of Gaucho1.0.
>>
>> Any  feedback you are willing to provide is welcomed!
>> In the website you will find a bug issue tracker and the mailing list description.
>> Or you can also send us an email for any other purpose, such as demo-request or inquiries about the Gaucho project.
>>

>> Hope you enjoy using it as much as we do!
>>
>> Fernando Olivero
>> University Of Lugano
>>

>> pd:  Be ready for the next version, with many improvements and added features! Soon to come.
>>
>> pd2: (Extract from the web page)

>> Version: 1.0
>>
>> Features included in this version:
>> • Direct manipulation of Classes, methods and packages
>> • Easily perform rename refactorings of classes and methods
>> • Draggable arrows for manipulating the inheritance relationships between classes
>> • Creating and runing tests for all the classes in the system
>> • Creating workspaces for taking snapshots of the current pampas
>> • Smart searching for any object in the system
>> • Keyboard shortcuts associated to the most important operations
>> • Logging all the changes to the system
>> • Saving/Loading developers and workspaces to the default local directory

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

laurent laffont

2010/6/7 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>

On Jun 7, 2010, at 8:12 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

Hi,

I suggest you put the screencasts on Vimeo as the quality is far better than YouTube. That's what I use for Pharocasts, IMHO it's really important that we can read the text.

Also note some people prefer to download the screencasts, can you put a link to original videos ?

I agree! Thanks for the comments!

I will migrate the screencasts to vimeo ASAP, and put a download link also.

I can also put a video on Pharocasts if you want. You can give me some text so I can put subtitles.

Laurent.

Gaucho looks great. Marketing is really important too :)

Cheers,

Thanks Laurent!

Fernando

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Fernando olivero
Hi Doru, thanks!

Gaucho is still missing features to be a serious competitor to IDE's, but in its current state it works just fine for  programing Smalltalk models in a diferent manner
For example, i've been programming Gaucho with Gaucho, since a couple of weeks now.

For the next version i plan to have a zoomable UI ( maybe Morphic3?) amongst other funcionality which are currently not present .

Any feedback and comments are welcomed!

Thanks,

Fernando

pd: also i would like to integrate several parts of the Gaucho framework ( widgets, toolbars, keybindings)  into  the Pharo IDE.

On Jun 7, 2010, at 11:24 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

2010/6/7 Fernando olivero <[hidden email]>

On Jun 7, 2010, at 8:12 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

Hi,

I suggest you put the screencasts on Vimeo as the quality is far better than YouTube. That's what I use for Pharocasts, IMHO it's really important that we can read the text.

Also note some people prefer to download the screencasts, can you put a link to original videos ?

I agree! Thanks for the comments!

I will migrate the screencasts to vimeo ASAP, and put a download link also.

I can also put a video on Pharocasts if you want. You can give me some text so I can put subtitles.

Would be great! thanks!
As soon as i have the new Vimeo screencasts i'll send you the links and subtitiles.

Fernando

Laurent.

Gaucho looks great. Marketing is really important too :)

Cheers,

Thanks Laurent!

Fernando

<ATT00001..txt>

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Simon Denier-3
Hi Fernando

Already lots of good stuff in your app. It looks *very* good and it feels quite good. I especially like the toolbar and the icons, as well as the shape toolbar which appears when overing over a shape (the "appear" effect is too long though).

Is it possible to import/develop existing packages/classes into Gaucho? That would be a cool way to go beyond BankAccount for people who want to try it on larger scale  :)

On 7 juin 2010, at 00:22, Fernando olivero wrote:

[...]

 Simon

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Fernando olivero
Hi simon, thanks for the comments!

On Jun 7, 2010, at 1:41 PM, Simon Denier wrote:

Hi Fernando

Already lots of good stuff in your app. It looks *very* good and it feels quite good. I especially like the toolbar and the icons, as well as the shape toolbar which appears when overing over a shape (the "appear" effect is too long though).

Oh, i'll change this!

For this first release i've introduced a long delay in the fadein animation, because for novice users the menu-toolbar will be used, but once you learn the keyboard shortcuts to most common operations you don't need it anymore. Also the menu-toolbar intention is to present what operations are available on the focused shape.

In the next version a Control panel will be available to modify the behavior of widgets, icons,  toolbars and the sytem.

Is it possible to import/develop existing packages/classes into Gaucho? That would be a cool way to go beyond BankAccount for people who want to try it on larger scale  :)

Yes! using the search widget you can import  packages, classes and methods present in the image.
For external you need to still use Gofer or Monticello outside Gaucho.

This is how i actually code Gaucho within Gaucho.

For the usage of the search widget Look at the screencast named Searching and workspaces ( http://gaucho.inf.usi.ch ).

Sequence of actions:

cmd-t: for opening the toolbar
navigate to the search button
press enter.
type the name of the package, class or method.
For importing a package "family", ( for example Gaucho-Core, Gaucho-Morphic, etc...) type Gacho*.
the widget auto completes entries, and is smart enough to filter accordingly. (it is still a litte slow, so dont type fast please).
press enter when the desired match is found.
 the imported shape is highlighted in the pampas.

Thanks for the feedback,
Fernando

On 7 juin 2010, at 14:44, Fernando olivero wrote:

> Hi simon, thanks for the comments!
>
> On Jun 7, 2010, at 1:41 PM, Simon Denier wrote:
>

>> Is it possible to import/develop existing packages/classes into Gaucho? That would be a cool way to go beyond BankAccount for people who want to try it on larger scale  :)
>>

> Yes! using the search widget you can import  packages, classes and methods present in the image.
> For external you need to still use Gofer or Monticello outside Gaucho.

Ah good, I missed that first because I tried to import a wrong class ;)

Who did the nice icons?

--
 Simon

Re: GAUCHO 1.0 released!

Gaboto
good work!! it looks interesting. have you looked at codebubbles for some ideas?
http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/acb/codebubbles_site.htm

I have a question about this: "They visually represent system components such
as packages, classes, methods, developers, and workspaces."

can you visually represent instances too?

[...]

OK two other things

1) (minor) I find myself repeatdly trying to extend a Shape size to display more instance variables and methods by looking for the resize handle in the bottom right corner

2) when I want to edit a method, the shape takes the full screen and I can't see any other data. Why can't I edit the method in-place

Also, I find it quickly annoying when I have to place manually each shape created. It would be better if shapes tend to stick to their parent shape when created, and I can move them freely after (I think that one point where codebubbles is good). I actually have more ideas about that, but it's tedious to explain by plain mail.

On Jun 7, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Gabriel Brunstein wrote:

good work!! it looks interesting. have you looked at codebubbles for some ideas?
http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/acb/codebubbles_site.htm

Yes i'm aware of that work, we share some common grounds, but the fundamental  difference is conceptual,  they interact with "code" bubbles , fragments of code treated as text,  and Gaucho deals with abstractions of program entities.

I have a question about this: "They visually represent system components such
as packages, classes, methods, developers, and workspaces."

can you visually represent instances too?

Not in this version, 1.0 , but the metaphor and the interaction could be applied to the instance level!
Right now we are working on the Class and Meta-class level. But future work could go into that direction, and also debugging programs.

Thanks for the comments!

Fernando

Gaucho icons framework into Pharo1.1 ?

Fernando olivero
Hi Simon, the icons are the Oxygen family of icons from the GNOME project.

I've made a icons framework importer , which loads an icon set into Pharo and creates a class for each icon set.
The idea is to have polymorphic classes of icons sets:
For example

IconsFamilyBuilder>>build
        | specs secs |
        specs := self iconsSpecs .
        specs do:[:each| each resourcesFolderName: self resourcesFolderName ].
        ^ GMIconFamily createFamilyNamed: self iconFamilyName specs: specs .

Which has subclasses such as OxygenIconsBuilder, that creates GMIconFamilyOxygen.
The code is similar to that found in MenuIcons, but i've added the notion of icons sets.

I would like to integrate it to Pharo1.1, so we should unify the MenuIcons and maybe the UIThemes methods found in the icons category, so we provide only one entry point for icons in the system, together with a simple importer and provider of icons.

Let me know what you think.

Fernando

> Who did the nice icons?
>

> --