GIS support for Pharo

12

Re: GIS support for Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
Serge I was thinking that it would be good to create pharo-gis organisation.
What do you and the others think?

On 5 Jun 2020, at 03:46, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Todd,

you can join. Everyone is welcome.
GDAL FFI integration would be great, but this is a lot of work I guess.

Regards,

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 2:34 AM Todd Blanchard via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,

I would love to participate in getting some GIS features into Pharo.  I think it would be a fantastic platform for GIS.

My personal orientation is doing marine navigation (have boat with sensors, want boat to be be smarter about navigation).

My main interests is in being able to render S57/S52 formats.  There are a number of boat fans that balk at the price of expensive chart plotter computers and software.

They have given rise to some DIY stuff.  Some of it just rips code straight out of https://gdal.org - I think possibly a FFI integration with gdal might be an amazing resource.

I am time constrained for when I can work on this stuff but would like it a lot if we at least had some core data types for simple things like lat/lng, regions (polygons), and a decent general map renderer.

Anyhow, please include me in any conversations.  Navigation (both air and sea) are two things I have an interest in.

On Jun 3, 2020, at 8:31 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all,

there was already some discussion in the list about GIS support for Pharo previously.

Working on CORMAS multi-agent simulation platform: https://github.com/cormas/cormas some developers feel the need to have more GIS support for Pharo.

I know of existing GIS software:
- GeoJSON by Zweidenker: https://github.com/zweidenker/GeoJSON
- ESRI ascii raster, done by Stephane recently: https://github.com/Ducasse/ESRI-ASCII-Raster
- shapefile support by Hernan: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/Shapes
(to be moved to github)
- I found this project also: http://www.squeaksource.com/gekon.html

I know that Etienne Delay is also interested by GIS support and propose to implement OpenGIS model support: https://github.com/cormas/cormas/issues/139

Can we try to unite and maybe create a pharo-GIS organization on github to federate our efforts?

Serge Stinckwic
​h​
https://twitter.com/SergeStinckwich

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: GIS support for Pharo

hernanmd

El vie., 5 jun. 2020 a las 5:03, Stéphane Ducasse (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Serge I was thinking that it would be good to create pharo-gis organisation.
What do you and the others think?

I think it is a good idea!

Cheers,

Hernán

[...]

France

Re: GIS support for Pharo

SergeStinckwich
I think this is a good idea. We will discuss with Norbert and Hernan during put meeting next Thursday.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone

France

France

​h​
https://twitter.com/SergeStinckwich

Re: GIS support for Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
Cool can you fork my ESRI repo. I want to keep it for exercises in the future.
Or I can push it to this organisation and clone it for myself.

S.

On 5 Jun 2020, at 13:09, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

France

Re: GIS support for Pharo

SergeStinckwich
Yes sure. We will see how we integrate it to a bigger software.
A+

Sent from my iPhone

France

Fwd: GIS support for Pharo