GL on fbdev (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Building Cog with vm-display-fbdev)

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GL on fbdev (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Building Cog with vm-display-fbdev)

Michael J. Zeder
thanks to the hint of Eliot, I did some code updates. fbdev module for Cog is now committed.

One thing I'm playing around with, and I have questions about, is the following (Eliot suggested to post it here):

A project for supporting the openGL lib to render output to fbdev (like that: http://www.mesa3d.org/fbdev-dri.html) would need major efforts, right? As far as I understand linux graphics architecture, it should be possible to render directly to the framebuffer device (maybe by a memcopy from a "FBO": http://songho.ca/opengl/gl_fbo.html). 
But my knowledge doesn't reach far enough to figure out, if, how, and where that could integrate with existing/emerging squeak/GL infrastructure...

I don't know if that would be a project of major importance ;) but – as squeak's/pharo's future graphics architecture is currently under discussion – I think it should be considered, that there are many different backends... The reason I asked is, that I currently build me a tiny core linux system with a smalltalk user land. It does work and it is fun...
So thanks for any feedback!

I enjoy Smalltalk :)
Cheers
Michael

Am 30.01.2012 um 18:54 schrieb Eliot Miranda:

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Michael J. Zeder <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi!
I changed inelegantly the configure script to get a vm-display-fbdev and...
...came to understand, that there are more issues with Cog + fbdev (below is the make output).

Now I wanted to put it in a general question: are there efforts to maintain the vm-display-fbdev for CogVM? I guess there is little need for it in general, but in some cases it is nice to have (for building embedded or tiny systems the linux framebuffer is nice; sleak, confless).
Can anybody help me? Thanks.

The Cog VM is derived from Qwaq/Teleplace (a defunct company that developed Croquet for business).  There the display system was extended for additional host window support.  That support was implemented for vm-display-X11 and vm-display-null but not for vm-display-fbdev.  You'll need to implement similar stubs that you'll find in the vm-display-null, since most of these primitives don't make sense/don't do anything in the context of fbdav (which takes control of the frame buffer and is hence always full-screen).  When you've implemented the stubs please send me the code so I can implement.

Doubtless you'll have worked out that you want to say "--with-vm-display-fbdev" to get that compiled in.

HTH & good luck
Eliot

Cheers!

/bin/bash /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld/libtool --mode=compile gcc -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin   -c -o sqUnixFBDev.lo /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c
gcc -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -g -O2 -msse2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG -DITIMER_HEARTBEAT=1 -DNO_VM_PROFILE=1 -DCOGMTVM=0 -DDEBUGVM=0 -msse -DLSB_FIRST=1 -Wall -Werror -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/unixbuild/bld -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/src/vm -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin -I/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/plugins/B3DAcceleratorPlugin -c /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c  -fPIC -DPIC -DPIC -o sqUnixFBDev.o
In file included from /home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:39:0:
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm/sq.h:194:0: error: ignoring #pragma auto_inline off [-Werror=unknown-pragmas]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/Cross/vm/sq.h:196:0: error: ignoring #pragma auto_inline on [-Werror=unknown-pragmas]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: (near initialization for 'display_fbdev_itf.winOpen') [-Werror]
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioPositionOfScreenWorkArea' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSizeOfScreenWorkArea' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSetCursorPositionXY' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioGetWindowHandle' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioPositionOfNativeDisplay' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSizeOfNativeDisplay' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioPositionOfNativeWindow' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:474:1: error: 'display_ioSizeOfNativeWindow' undeclared here (not in a function)
/home/mjz/Squeak/squeakvm/Cog/platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev/sqUnixFBDev.c:407:14: error: 'display_dndLaunchFile' defined but not used [-Werror=unused-function]
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

make[1]: *** [sqUnixFBDev.lo] Fehler 1
make: *** [vm-display-fbdev.la] Fehler 2

Am 29.01.2012 19:31, schrieb Michael J. Zeder:
hello everbody,

I want to build the CogVM (latest revision from squeakvm.org/svn/branches/Cog),
but with the vm-display-fbdev module (for linux framebuffer device) as default.

Now I am a bit stuck in understanding the make process. Just leaving out the "--without-vm-display-fbdev" as argument to the configure script does not lead to it being included in the compile process.
Also I don't find the exact location in the scripts, where to tell that the vm-display-fbdev should not only be included, but shall also replace the default display-X11-module.

Thanks for your help,
best regards
Michael

--
best,
Eliot