GLASS Pricing

Monty Williams-3
While the free version of GLASS is suitable for many applications, a number of you have asked about pricing for larger systems.

During STIC we announced VMware's list prices for 4 & 8 core perpetual GLASS licenses. Perhaps more importantly, you can now purchase real Tech Support  from VMware for your GLASS deployments.

See the table at http://seaside.gemstone.com/docs/GLASS-Pricing-1201.htm for details.

Regards,
Monty

Re: GLASS Pricing

Conrad Taylor
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Monty Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
While the free version of GLASS is suitable for many applications, a number of you have asked about pricing for larger systems.

During STIC we announced VMware's list prices for 4 & 8 core perpetual GLASS licenses. Perhaps more importantly, you can now purchase real Tech Support  from VMware for your GLASS deployments.

Monty, I have the following questions in regards to the above pricing:

a)  Is the pricing the same for Maglev usage?

b)  Are there any restrictions in terns of the number of VMs that can be used on the local system as well as distributed across many systems?

c)  Is the 'Maximum Cores Used' per/box or does this represent the total cores across all machines?

d)  Is there any particular reason why one cannot use GBS VisualWorks Client for development with VisualWorks NC?  I remember seeing a post that one would need to purchase a VisualWorks commercial license to use GBS VisualWorks Client.

Thanks for any insight that you can provide concerning the above questions.

Regards,
Monty

--

Think different and code well,

-Conrad

Re: GLASS Pricing

Jon Paynter-2
same on the visualworks client question.

whats needed to do GLASS development with visualworks?

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Conrad Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

a) Yes, pricing is the same for Maglev usage. Note: MagLev is freely available Open Source on GitHub, but you need a GLASS license (free or paid) to use it.

b) There are no restrictions on the number of VMs. Technically a "VM" is a logged in session, or in GemStone parlance a "gem". We didn't list it in the table because it's somewhat misleading to say it's limited to 10,000 sessions as you'll run out of other resources long before you get there.
    All restrictions are covered in the License http://seaside.gemstone.com/docs/GLASS-License.pdf
    and keyfile http://seaside.gemstone.com/etc/gemstone30.key-GLASS-Linux-2CPU.txt
    e.g.  # Stone Session limit: 10000 (max possible for executable)

c) "Maximum Cores Used" is the total number of cores you are licensed to use. Since remote sessions ("Clustered servers") are not allowed by this license, they all have to be on one machine.

d) The GLASS license doesn't allow "GCI traversal" which is needed to use the GBS VisualWorks Client. You'd have to ask Cincom about the need for a VisualWorks commercial license vs VisualWorks NC.

Many GemStone/S customers are enterprises who deploy mission critical apps on large (or very large) systems and develop in VW or VAST. Our goal for GLASS was to enable smaller companies to use GemStone/S (or MagLev) to develop and deploy web apps for free, in the hopes they would one day be successful enough to grow into paid licenses. These 4 & 8 core licenses are intended to provide a less expensive stair step than jumping immediately to an enterprise license.

-- Monty

Maglev/GLASS

Larry Kellogg
Hello,
  Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the Smalltalk community.

  So, I'm thinking of moving my production GLASS system to run Maglev as well, in order to take advantage of Ruby libraries.

  So, has anyone else done this? I'm not quite sure how to go about moving my running GLASS app to include Maglev. and preserve all my Gemstone Smalltalk data. Thoughts?

  Regards,

  Larry

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2012, at 6:24 PM, Monty Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: Maglev/GLASS

Dale Henrichs
Lawrence,

I wouldn't want to discourage you, but you would be entering relatively new territory. I think that there have been a few experiments in this area, so you'd likely be the first person to attempt to take these experiments into production:)

With that said, I do encourage you join the MagLev mailing list[1] and ask for thoughts on that list.

There is quite a bit of action going on in MagLev these days as a group of students at Hasso-Plattner Institut[2] are working on porting MagLev to Ruby 1.9. The folks on the MagLev mailing list will likely be the ones to provide you with the most help on working out the kinks in calling Ruby from Smalltalk.

I'm interested in seeing progress in this area, but I'm not a Ruby guy... I will definitely be interested in doing what it takes to make that work from the Smalltalk side:)

Dale

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/maglev-discussion
[2] http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/

| Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the Smalltalk community.
|

| So, I'm thinking of moving my production GLASS system to run Maglev
| as well, in order to take advantage of Ruby libraries.
|

| So, has anyone else done this? I'm not quite sure how to go about
| moving my running GLASS app to include Maglev. and preserve all my
| Gemstone Smalltalk data. Thoughts?
|

| Regards,
|
| Larry
|
| Sent from my iPhone
|
| On Apr 4, 2012, at 6:24 PM, Monty Williams < [hidden email] >
| wrote:
|

| a) Yes, pricing is the same for Maglev usage . Note: MagLev is freely
| available Open Source on GitHub, but you need a GLASS license (free
| or paid) to use it.
|

| b) There are no restrictions on the number of VMs. Technically a "VM"
| is a logged in session, or in GemStone parlance a "gem". We didn't
| list it in the table because it's somewhat misleading to say it's
| limited to 10,000 sessions as you'll run out of other resources long
| before you get there.
| All restrictions are covered in the License
| http://seaside.gemstone.com/docs/GLASS-License.pdf
| and keyfile
| http://seaside.gemstone.com/etc/gemstone30.key-GLASS-Linux-2CPU.txt
| e.g. # Stone Session limit: 10000 (max possible for executable)
|

| c) " Maximum Cores Used" is the total number of cores you are
| licensed to use. Since remote sessions ("Clustered servers") are not
| allowed by this license, they all have to be on one machine.
|

| d) The GLASS license doesn't allow "GCI traversal" which is needed to
| use the GBS VisualWorks Client. You'd have to ask Cincom about the
| need for a VisualWorks commercial license vs VisualWorks NC.
|

| Many GemStone/S customers are enterprises who deploy mission critical
| apps on large (or very large) systems and develop in VW or VAST. Our
| goal for GLASS was to enable smaller companies to use GemStone/S (or
| MagLev) to develop and deploy web apps for free, in the hopes they
| would one day be successful enough to grow into paid licenses. These
| 4 & 8 core licenses are intended to provide a less expensive stair
| step than jumping immediately to an enterprise license.
|

| -- Monty

Re: Maglev/GLASS

Larry Kellogg
Dale,

On Nov 26, 2012, at 12:37 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lawrence,
>
> I wouldn't want to discourage you, but you would be entering relatively new territory. I think that there have been a few experiments in this area, so you'd likely be the first person to attempt to take these experiments into production:)

  Oh boy, ha ha, uncharted waters.

> With that said, I do encourage you join the MagLev mailing list[1] and ask for thoughts on that list.

  Yes, I will do that.

> There is quite a bit of action going on in MagLev these days as a group of students at Hasso-Plattner Institut[2] are working on porting MagLev to Ruby 1.9. The folks on the MagLev mailing list will likely be the ones to provide you with the most help on working out the kinks in calling Ruby from Smalltalk.
>
> I'm interested in seeing progress in this area, but I'm not a Ruby guy... I will definitely be interested in doing what it takes to make that work from the Smalltalk side:)

  In terms of dealing with Ruby, I keep asking myself why? Is it really worth all the trouble to run Ruby in order to pick up a few API libraries? I am also a Smalltalk guy, and not a Ruby guy, so I am kind of puzzled as to what Ruby will give me over Gemstone/S. I'm mainly doing this for a friend who wants to use some Ruby APIs but it may be a lot of hassle for little gain.

  Thanks for your thoughts.

  Regards,

  Larry