GLMPagerMorph - a new scroll widget

Aliaksei Syrel
Hi,

We (me, Andrei, and Doru) are happy to present a new horizontal scroll widget for Glamour: the GTPager.
It's aim is it to provide more visual feedback when working with a finder like widget.

It is available in the latest Moose version. You can try a simple example:

GLMBasicExamples new simplePager openOn: 42

 Inline-Bild 1

Also, it is used in GTInspector, so for a real world example just open an inspector or a workspace:

Inline-Bild 2

Cheers,
Alex

Re: GLMPagerMorph - a new scroll widget

abergel
Looks good!
Maybe you can remove the navigation bar if you have less then two panes ?
Would it be possible to remove a page or cut the navigation line? It often happens that I want to remove one pane located on the right hand side.

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: GLMPagerMorph - a new scroll widget

abergel
But indeed, having a new set of widgets is __really__ important

Alexandre

On Apr 29, 2014, at 7:46 AM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We (me, Andrei, and Doru) are happy to present a new horizontal scroll widget for Glamour: the GTPager.
> It's aim is it to provide more visual feedback when working with a finder like widget.
>
> It is available in the latest Moose version. You can try a simple example:
>
> GLMBasicExamples new simplePager openOn: 42
>
>  <SimplePager.png>
>
> Also, it is used in GTInspector, so for a real world example just open an inspector or a workspace:
>
> <InspectingTheWorld.png>
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: GLMPagerMorph - a new scroll widget

Tudor Girba-2

Just to enhance the announcement a bit :).

Alex (Aliaksei Syrel) is a 2nd year student at the University of Bern. He started with Pharo a month ago and he is working closely with Andrei.

As a first project, he took over my sketches of redefining the scrollbar in the context of the inspector. This is not just cosmetics, but rather interesting conceptually as it enhances the Miller columns with three ideas:
- only allow for fully visible panes at any time (this is particularly important in the context of the inspector).
- dynamically choose the amount of visible panes.
- show the position in the whole session in terms of steps rather than pixels.

The current implementation works quite impressively including details like the animation of sliding when you leave the scrollbar in between dots. It is done with pure Morphic, it uses neat announcements, it integrates well with Glamour and it works out of the box. He did most of the work independently with feedback mostly from Andrei. Great work, Alex!

As a side note: expect more to come in this area. I think this shows that we can make significant contributions in this area that go beyond copying what exists in other places. So, please feel free to join :)

Cheers,
Doru

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

We (me, Andrei, and Doru) are happy to present a new horizontal scroll widget for Glamour: the GTPager.
It's aim is it to provide more visual feedback when working with a finder like widget.

It is available in the latest Moose version. You can try a simple example:

GLMBasicExamples new simplePager openOn: 42

 Inline-Bild 1

Also, it is used in GTInspector, so for a real world example just open an inspector or a workspace:

Inline-Bild 2

Cheers,
Alex

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GLMPagerMorph - a new scroll widget

Tudor Girba-2
Actually we had a debate about this. I was against having the ability of hiding because of two reasons:
- I thought people have to get used to the idea of a different looking scrollbar
- And even if you have two panes only, you might still want to stretch the pane across the entire window and for this you need the scrollbar.

Removing a page in between should not be allowed because the pager should document a working session and keeping track of the steps is an important goal. It is not a random succession of panes.

But, for removing the last one would indeed be interesting. We will look into that.

Doru

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks good!
Maybe you can remove the navigation bar if you have less then two panes ?
Would it be possible to remove a page or cut the navigation line? It often happens that I want to remove one pane located on the right hand side.

Alexandre

On Apr 29, 2014, at 7:46 AM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We (me, Andrei, and Doru) are happy to present a new horizontal scroll widget for Glamour: the GTPager.
> It's aim is it to provide more visual feedback when working with a finder like widget.
>
> It is available in the latest Moose version. You can try a simple example:
>
> GLMBasicExamples new simplePager openOn: 42
>
>  <SimplePager.png>
>
> Also, it is used in GTInspector, so for a real world example just open an inspector or a workspace:
>
> <InspectingTheWorld.png>
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GLMPagerMorph - a new scroll widget

Andrei Chis

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually we had a debate about this. I was against having the ability of hiding because of two reasons:
- I thought people have to get used to the idea of a different looking scrollbar
- And even if you have two panes only, you might still want to stretch the pane across the entire window and for this you need the scrollbar.

Removing a page in between should not be allowed because the pager should document a working session and keeping track of the steps is an important goal. It is not a random succession of panes.

But, for removing the last one would indeed be interesting. We will look into that.

Also removing the last n panes could work.

Andrei

Doru

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks good!
Maybe you can remove the navigation bar if you have less then two panes ?
Would it be possible to remove a page or cut the navigation line? It often happens that I want to remove one pane located on the right hand side.

Alexandre

On Apr 29, 2014, at 7:46 AM, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We (me, Andrei, and Doru) are happy to present a new horizontal scroll widget for Glamour: the GTPager.
> It's aim is it to provide more visual feedback when working with a finder like widget.
>
> It is available in the latest Moose version. You can try a simple example:
>
> GLMBasicExamples new simplePager openOn: 42
>
>  <SimplePager.png>
>
> Also, it is used in GTInspector, so for a real world example just open an inspector or a workspace:
>
> <InspectingTheWorld.png>
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GLMPagerMorph - a new scroll widget

jfabry

A +1 on that. I’m a bit manic in cleaning up windows sometimes. If it’s open, there has to be a purpose for that window being there. This is not possible with these panes, which annoys me.

On Apr 29, 2014, at 8:34 AM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But, for removing the last one would indeed be interesting. We will look into that.
>
> Also removing the last n panes could work.

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: GLMPagerMorph - a new scroll widget

Richard Wettel-3
Hi Aliaksei

I really like the new widget! I've seen Doru's sketch and you did a great job implementing it.

Cheers
Ricky

Sent from Mailbox