GLMTextualPresentation background color

Andre Hora
Hello,

Is it possible to change the background color in a GLMTextualPresentation?

regards,

--
Andre Hora

Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

No.

Why would you need that?

Cheers,
Doru

On 1 Jul 2011, at 18:30, Andre Hora wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to change the background color in a GLMTextualPresentation?
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Andre Hora

www.tudorgirba.com

"Some battles are better lost than fought."

Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Andre Hora
Sorry, what I would like to say was to change the font color or the selection color. Is it possible?

Just wondering about have something like that:
http://wwwiti.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/iti_db/research/cide/

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

No.

Why would you need that?

Cheers,
Doru

On 1 Jul 2011, at 18:30, Andre Hora wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to change the background color in a GLMTextualPresentation?
>
> regards,
>
> --
> Andre Hora

www.tudorgirba.com

"Some battles are better lost than fought."

Andre Hora

Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Andre,

Looks cool. I would love to get these capabilities.

To get something like this working, first you have to describe it at a higher level of abstraction: just like Mondrian is not a drawing engine, Glamour is not a UI engine. Glamour is a browser engine, and this means that the pieces should be at the browser level of abstraction. Ideally, this means that you do not mess around with variables like color, but rather with concepts that map on color.

In your case, ideally we would have a model of text that can support highlighting of concerns and contextual actions. However, right now we do not have that, and even code highlighting is done with overusing display to pass in a formatted Text object (take a look at the senders of formattedSourceText).

So, I have two suggestions:

1. There was a project led by Lukas called Safara that offered an object-oriented model of a text editor. I looked at it a while ago and it does not look too bad, but it's not quite finished. Maybe you can play with it and let us know:
http://www.squeaksource.com/Safara.html

2. Perhaps you can take a shorter route and build a model of a simply text with zones that have styles and actions. Then we integrate this in the rendering.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Doru

On 1 Jul 2011, at 21:03, Andre Hora wrote:

> Sorry, what I would like to say was to change the font color or the selection color. Is it possible?
>
> Just wondering about have something like that:
> http://wwwiti.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/iti_db/research/cide/
>
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No.
>
> Why would you need that?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 1 Jul 2011, at 18:30, Andre Hora wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is it possible to change the background color in a GLMTextualPresentation?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > --
> > Andre Hora

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Some battles are better lost than fought."

> Andre Hora

www.tudorgirba.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Lukas Renggli
> 2. Perhaps you can take a shorter route and build a model of a simply text with zones that have styles and actions. Then we integrate this in the rendering.

FYI: In Helvetia-Core there is a class called CHHighlightAttribute
that can highlight the background, as well as draw bitmap borders
(e.g. wiggled lines) around (left, right, bottom, top) the text. The
only problem is that a solid background will hide the text selection.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Stéphane Ducasse
I would like to get a list of important things to fix in the UI
        I have
        - in place item list edit (we should be able to change the protocol of a method by clicking on the list item)
        - fixed layout (problem of the expansion in glamour)
        - seeing only what is shown when typing (you type on a list = it shows you the matching items)

Coudl you report the list of what is urgently needed in the pharo mailing-list?

Stef

On Jul 1, 2011, at 10:13 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> 2. Perhaps you can take a shorter route and build a model of a simply text with zones that have styles and actions. Then we integrate this in the rendering.
>
> FYI: In Helvetia-Core there is a class called CHHighlightAttribute
> that can highlight the background, as well as draw bitmap borders
> (e.g. wiggled lines) around (left, right, bottom, top) the text. The
> only problem is that a solid background will hide the text selection.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Here are some issues:

- PluggableTextMorph does not provide a means for clients to know when the text has changed

- TabMorph does not provide a means for client to know when the tab has changed

- The label of a TabMorph should shrink to fit the space. Right now a tab with a large title will expand the bounds of the tab. I would like to have the possibility to limit the size of the title to the size of the contents. Ideally, there should be some abbreviation (with ...) of the title.

- the MorphTreeMorph does not expand the embedded morphs horizontally. Currently it inherits from ScrollPane. I think it would be great to get it inherit from GeneralScrollPane. Or maybe there is a better solution.

Cheers,
Doru

On 2 Jul 2011, at 12:57, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I would like to get a list of important things to fix in the UI
> I have
> - in place item list edit (we should be able to change the protocol of a method by clicking on the list item)
> - fixed layout (problem of the expansion in glamour)
> - seeing only what is shown when typing (you type on a list = it shows you the matching items)
>
> Coudl you report the list of what is urgently needed in the pharo mailing-list?
>
> Stef
>
> On Jul 1, 2011, at 10:13 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>>> 2. Perhaps you can take a shorter route and build a model of a simply text with zones that have styles and actions. Then we integrate this in the rendering.
>>
>> FYI: In Helvetia-Core there is a class called CHHighlightAttribute
>> that can highlight the background, as well as draw bitmap borders
>> (e.g. wiggled lines) around (left, right, bottom, top) the text. The
>> only problem is that a solid background will hide the text selection.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: [Pharo-project] Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Lukas Renggli
> - PluggableTextMorph does not provide a means for clients to know when the text has changed

aPluggableTextEditorMorph autoAccept: true

> - TabMorph does not provide a means for client to know when the tab has changed

Sure, become a dependent of the #tabSelectorMorph and it will trigger
a change #selectedIndex whenever the tab changes.

Alternatively you could use a deticated panel that notices when it is
attached into the Morphic tree (owner is set).

> - The label of a TabMorph should shrink to fit the space. Right now a tab with a large title will expand the bounds of the tab. I would like to have the possibility to limit the size of the title to the size of the contents. Ideally, there should be some abbreviation (with ...) of the title.

Grease has a method called String>>#truncate:ellipsis:. For perfect
results you might want to specify the width in pixels not characters,
but that could be easily added using AbstractFont>>#widthOfString:.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Marcus Denker-4

> Grease has a method called String>>#truncate:ellipsis:.

Which reminds me that we should think about merging the useful extensions of Grease into
Pharo...

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

On 3 Jul 2011, at 09:54, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> - PluggableTextMorph does not provide a means for clients to know when the text has changed
>
> aPluggableTextEditorMorph autoAccept: true

That is not the same. I want a notification from the PluggableTextMorph to tell me that the text changed, so that I can update the an external client.

>> - TabMorph does not provide a means for client to know when the tab has changed
>
> Sure, become a dependent of the #tabSelectorMorph and it will trigger
> a change #selectedIndex whenever the tab changes.
>
> Alternatively you could use a deticated panel that notices when it is
> attached into the Morphic tree (owner is set).

Good point. I will look at that.

>> - The label of a TabMorph should shrink to fit the space. Right now a tab with a large title will expand the bounds of the tab. I would like to have the possibility to limit the size of the title to the size of the contents. Ideally, there should be some abbreviation (with ...) of the title.
>
> Grease has a method called String>>#truncate:ellipsis:. For perfect
> results you might want to specify the width in pixels not characters,
> but that could be easily added using AbstractFont>>#widthOfString:.

Nice. It still has to be integrated in TabMorph.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: [Pharo-project] Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Lukas Renggli
>>> - PluggableTextMorph does not provide a means for clients to know when the text has changed
>>
>> aPluggableTextEditorMorph autoAccept: true
>
> That is not the same. I want a notification from the PluggableTextMorph to tell me that the text changed, so that I can update the an external client.

You'll get an accept notification for each key press. There is also an
option to automatically send a accept notification when the text field
looses focus.

Alternatively you can directly hook into the morphic #eventHandler and
get notified about #keystroke, #keyDown, #keyUp, ...

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Pharo-project] Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

doru could you have screen capture of the problem?

On Jul 3, 2011, at 9:57 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

>> Grease has a method called String>>#truncate:ellipsis:.
>
> Which reminds me that we should think about merging the useful extensions of Grease into
> Pharo...

yes!
can you add a bug entry?

Stef

> Marcus
>
> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Andre Hora
Thanks!
Doru, I will check the code and try something with the model of a simply text. I let you know.

regards,

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2. Perhaps you can take a shorter route and build a model of a simply text with zones that have styles and actions. Then we integrate this in the rendering.

FYI: In Helvetia-Core there is a class called CHHighlightAttribute
that can highlight the background, as well as draw bitmap borders
(e.g. wiggled lines) around (left, right, bottom, top) the text. The
only problem is that a solid background will hide the text selection.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Andre Hora

Re: [Pharo-project] Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Tudor Girba-2
Ahh, I messed up the issue description.

It is the current selection that is not announced, not the contents. Or is there a possibility to get the a notification of the current selection while I am selecting a piece of text?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: [Pharo-project] Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Tudor Girba-2
I attached here the screenshots for the TabMorph label shrinking problem, and for the MorphTreeMorph one.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"One cannot do more than one can do."

MorphTreeMorph-not-expanding.png (14K) Download Attachment
TabLabel-does-not-shrink.png (71K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-project] Re: GLMTextualPresentation background color

Stéphane Ducasse
doru

is there a bug entry and an example how to generate this widget?

Stef