GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

MrGwen
Hi,

I've made a cross-compiled version of GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows.
If you want to download it I can share you my dropbox directory.

For launching VisualGST under windows:

launch gst.exe:

DLD addLibrary: 'libgtk-win32-2.0-0';
   addLibrary: 'libgtk-win32-2.0-0';
   addLibrary: 'libgobject-2.0-0';
   addLibrary: 'libglib-2.0-0';
   addLibrary: 'libgio-2.0-0';
   addLibrary: 'libpango-1.0-0';
   addLibrary: 'libgdk-win32-2.0-0';
   addLibrary: 'libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0';
   addLibrary: 'libpangocairo-1.0-0'.

PackageLoader fileInPackage: 'VisualGST'.
VisualGST.GtkLauncher open.
GTK.Gtk main

Cheers,
Gwen

Screenshot - 14_03_2011 , 15_50_12.png (54K) Download Attachment

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 04/06/2011 01:47 PM, Gwenael Casaccio wrote:

> DLD addLibrary: 'libgtk-win32-2.0-0';
>    addLibrary: 'libgtk-win32-2.0-0';
>    addLibrary: 'libgobject-2.0-0';
>    addLibrary: 'libglib-2.0-0';
>    addLibrary: 'libgio-2.0-0';
>    addLibrary: 'libpango-1.0-0';
>    addLibrary: 'libgdk-win32-2.0-0';
>    addLibrary: 'libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0';
>    addLibrary: 'libpangocairo-1.0-0'.

This will be fixed in 3.3 :)

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

Cesar Rabak-3
2011/4/6  <[hidden email]>:
>   8. GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows (Gwenael Casaccio)
> Hi,
>
> I've made a cross-compiled version of GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows.
> If you want to download it I can share you my dropbox directory.

[snipped]

 Gwen

I want to download it as I'm unable to compile it right now and
foresee the need to work in Windows platform for at least this rest of
the year.

OTHO, I wonder if wouldn't it be better to put it in link in gnu
smalltalk server itself; as Paolo said it would do something on this
line because GSoC anyway...

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

Geert Claes
Administrator
MrGwen wrote
Thanks for the screenshot, it looks very nice!  It still baffles me a bit why GST does not provide binary distributions for Win & Mac.

On 04/07/2011 08:58 AM, Geert Claes wrote:
>> I've made a cross-compiled version of GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows.  If
>> you want to download it I can share you my dropbox directory.
>
> Thanks for the screenshot, it looks very nice!  It still baffles me a bit
> why GST does not provide binary distributions for Win&  Mac.

Because nobody stepped up providing them, of course. :)

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

leledumbo
Please share your dropbox dir with me, I would like to compare the one you cross-built with my msys-mingw build (I got "DLD error: requested module gst-gtk was not found", but I do have both development and runtime version of gtk+ and its related libraries and they're in PATH).

On 04/21/2011 10:19 PM, leledumbo wrote:
> Please share your dropbox dir with me, I would like to compare the one you
> cross-built with my msys-mingw build (I got "DLD error: requested module
> gst-gtk was not found", but I do have both development and runtime version
> of gtk+ and its related libraries and they're in PATH).

Have you tried the wrapper here
=> http://forum.world.st/GTK-Experiment-on-windows-td3167239.html ?

I'm going to remove the need for this in 3.3.

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

leledumbo
> Have you tried the wrapper here

Yep , and here's what gst says:

Object: DLD error: requested module gst-gtk was not found
SystemExceptions.CInterfaceError(Smalltalk.Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:25
4)
SystemExceptions.CInterfaceError class(Smalltalk.Exception class)>>signal: (ExcH
andling.st:161)
Smalltalk.DLD class>>addModule: (DLD.st:297)
optimized [] in Smalltalk.Package>>primFileIn (PkgLoader.st:1556)
Smalltalk.Set(Smalltalk.HashedCollection)>>do: (HashedColl.st:201)
[] in Smalltalk.Package>>primFileIn (PkgLoader.st:1557)
Smalltalk.BlockClosure>>ensure: (BlkClosure.st:269)
Smalltalk.Package>>primFileIn (PkgLoader.st:1550)
Kernel.StarPackage>>primFileIn (PkgLoader.st:1076)
optimized [] in Smalltalk.PackageLoader class>>fileInPackages: (PkgLoader.st:188
0)
Smalltalk.OrderedCollection>>do: (OrderColl.st:68)
Smalltalk.PackageLoader class>>fileInPackages: (PkgLoader.st:1873)
Smalltalk.PackageLoader class>>fileInPackage: (PkgLoader.st:1861)
Smalltalk.UndefinedObject>>executeStatements (visualgst.st:13)

line 13 has the line: VisualGST.GtkLauncher uniqueInstance.

On 04/22/2011 07:31 PM, leledumbo wrote:
>> Have you tried the wrapper here
> Yep , and here's what gst says:

Sorry for yet another question, but is this on installed gst?  Can you
do a "find ." on the installation directory?

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

leledumbo
> Sorry for yet another question, but is this on installed gst?

Yes.

> Can you do a "find ." on the installation directory?

Yes, but why do you ask?

Anyway, I decided to redownload the source code and retry. It seems that --destdir not followed by = exists everywhere and I haven't changed them all.

On 04/23/2011 06:46 PM, leledumbo wrote:
>> >  Can you do a "find ." on the installation directory?
> Yes, but why do you ask?

To see what was installed and what is missing.

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

leledumbo
Here is the result of "find .".

Anyway, I found another thing when trying relocatable install through inexistent prefix (e.g. /nonexistent as in the instruction). msys automatically expands the first* / to real directory in windows (C:\MinGW\msys\1.0 in my case) that's why when using that prefix the command:

./gst-tool.exe gst-package ... --destdir=/e/Sources/smalltalk-3.2.4 ... --target-directory=/nonexistent/share/smalltalk/kernel ...

fails because when --destdir and --target-directory are combined they produce:

e:\Sources\smalltalk-3.2.4C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\nonexistent\share\smalltalk\kernel

instead of

e:\Sources\smalltalk-3.2.4\nonexistent\share\smalltalk\kernel

do you have any idea how to solve this?

* an exception when / is followed by a drive letter. In this case, using /c/nonexistent makes the compilation succeeds.

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

Paolo Bonzini-2
From the find output the libraries for gtk were not found so
gst-gtk.dll was not built. This works with cross-compilation so it
must be a problem in your setup. Regarding relocatable install indeed
you need this tweak to the instructions because of msys path
conversion. I will update them.

Thanks,

Paolo

2011/4/24, leledumbo <[hidden email]>:

> http://forum.world.st/file/n3471464/find.txt Here  is the result of "find
> .".
>
> Anyway, I found another thing when trying relocatable install through
> inexistent prefix (e.g. /nonexistent as in the instruction). msys
> automatically expands the first* / to real directory in windows
> (C:\MinGW\msys\1.0 in my case) that's why when using that prefix the
> command:
>
> ./gst-tool.exe gst-package ... --destdir=/e/Sources/smalltalk-3.2.4 ...
> --target-directory=/nonexistent/share/smalltalk/kernel ...
>
> fails because when --destdir and --target-directory are combined they
> produce:
>
> e:\Sources\smalltalk-3.2.4C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\nonexistent\share\smalltalk\kernel
>
> instead of
>
> e:\Sources\smalltalk-3.2.4\nonexistent\share\smalltalk\kernel
>
> do you have any idea how to solve this?
>
> * an exception when / is followed by a drive letter. In this case, using
> /c/nonexistent makes the compilation succeeds.

Inviato dal mio dispositivo mobile

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

leledumbo
Hmm... the static version is built (gst-gtk.a), so why the dynamic version isn't? Check the make output here.

On 04/24/2011 04:07 PM, leledumbo wrote:
> Hmm... the static version is built (gst-gtk.a), so why the dynamic version
> isn't? Check the make output
> http://forum.world.st/file/n3471500/smalltalk-3.2.4.zip here .

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lgdi32.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libgdi32 and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: c:/gtk+/lib/libpangowin32-1.0.dll.a

*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module gst-gtk.  Therefore, libtool will create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.

(That _doesn't_ work since we are really using run-time loading).

You're similarly missing opengl32, glu32 and ws2_32 which should come from
the same package as gdi32.  In addition you're missing development files for
zlib and readline.

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

leledumbo
> (That _doesn't_ work since we are really using run-time loading).

> You're similarly missing opengl32, glu32 and ws2_32 which should come from
> the same package as gdi32.  In addition you're missing development files for
> zlib and readline.

Hmm... those should be in C:\Windows\system32, should I copy it somewhere? I'll check for zlib and readline, probably it's taken from the wrong directory.

On 04/26/2011 05:51 PM, Mario Ray Mahardhika wrote:
> Hmm... those should be in C:\Windows\system32, should I copy it
> somewhere? I'll check for zlib and readline, probably it's taken from
> the wrong directory.

No, you're missing the import libraries for those.  They are .a files.
Perhaps they are part of some msys package, or they're not on your
search path?

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2.4 for windows

leledumbo
> No, you're missing the import libraries for those.  They are .a files. Perhaps they are part of some msys package, or they're not on your
> search path?

Oh, the .a files. libopengl32.a, libglu32.a, libgdi32.a and libws2_32.a are in MinGW's lib directory (compiler's default search path). They should work fine because I can create OpenGL / socket programs without problems. Regarding zlib and readline, I take the bundle prepared at official gtk website. Its bin directory is in PATH, while its lib is in LIBRARY_PATH. It doesn't contain libzlib.a, but zlib.lib. Since AFAIK they're compatible, I just create the duplicate with different name. readline already has both libreadline.a and libreadline.dll.a. Now I wonder what's wrong...

On 04/26/2011 07:08 PM, Mario Ray Mahardhika wrote:
> Oh, the .a files. libopengl32.a, libglu32.a, libgdi32.a and
> libws2_32.a are in MinGW's lib directory (compiler's default search
> path). They should work fine because I can create OpenGL / socket
> programs without problems.

Yes, so you should check why they're being missed by ld.

Paolo