GNU Smalltalk 3.2 released

123

GNU Smalltalk 3.2 released

Paolo Bonzini-2
GNU Smalltalk 3.2 has been released at

* ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/smalltalk/smalltalk-3.2.tar.gz
   SHA1 checksum: d951714c4fc7d91d06bdc33c20905885e5d2b25f

* ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/smalltalk/smalltalk-3.2.tar.xz
   SHA1 checksum: 1ff71bf0be7e238eba9485eb6a016bc4faa07cea

Main features of the new release include downloading of remote packages
(for projects hosted on smalltalk.gnu.org), a new browser based on GTK+,
a callgraph profiler and incremental garbage collection.  This version
can also run the Iliad web framework (http://www.iliadproject.org/).

Following is a detailed list of changes between 3.1 and 3.2.

Backwards-incompatible bug fixes and changes:

* Collection>>#anyOne gives an error if the receiver is empty.

* "aNumber raisedToInteger: 0" will raise an exception if and only if
aNumber is not a floating-point value.  This was backwards in previous
versions.

* Interval>>#first and Interval>>#last give an error if the interval is
empty (i.e. if start > stop and the step is positive, or start < stop
and the step is negative).

* SequenceableCollection>>#sortBy: was renamed to #sort:.  The old
message is _not_ provided for backwards-compatibility.

* The semantics of recursive directory descent were adjusted as follows:
1) the '.' and '..' directory entries are not passed; 2) for #do:, the
file is passed directly (3.1 used to pass another recursive decorator);
3) before the descent starts, the directory itself is passed to the block.

* The XML parser will ignore whitespace if placed in non-validating mode.

* The suggested way to instantiate an XML parser is now using "SAXParser
defaultParserClass", which will work with either of the two available
parsers (the existing Smalltalk parsers, and the Expat bindings; see below).

New features (base classes):

* Floating-point rounding to integer is now correct also for very large
numbers; fix contributed by Nicolas Cellier.

* Methods have been added to Integer to print numbers with padding to a
specified width.

* New FilePath methods #owner:, #group:, #owner:group: allow setting a
file's owner and group.

* Sending mode, file time and owner setters to a recursive directory
decorator (such as `Directory working all') sets the mode/time/owner on
all files under the path.

* Speedups for hashed collections

* String>>#subStrings: accepts a single separator character or also, in
accordance with ANSI, a String holding a list of separators.

* The old instance-based exception handling has been removed.  Standard
ANSI class-based exceptions have been available since GNU Smalltalk 1.8.2.

* The text-based #inspect method is now available also as
Object>>#examine and Object>>#examineOn:, so that it will also work on
arbitrary streams and will be available when a GUI is loaded.
Contributed by Stefan Schmiedl.

New features (tools):

* gst-convert can emit Squeak fileouts.

* New graphical interface VisualGST, loaded with gst-browser.  The old
browser is still available, but obsolete.

* New ProfilerTools package for callgraph profiling of Smalltalk
programs. A companion gst-profile tool will create profiles in
callgrind-compatible format.  Contributed by Derek Zhou.

* Projects hosted at smalltalk.gnu.org can be downloaded and updated
directly from the network.  The repository at smalltalk.gnu.org holds
the location of the package.xml files, which point to the svn or git URL
of the code.  In order to download a package with git, version 1.6.2 is
required.

* SUnit supports expected failures.

New features (VM):

* Fixes in garbage collection heuristics provide improved performance on
programs allocating many long-lived objects.  Contributed by Derek Zhou.

* Floating-point numbers are now read correctly.

* In idle times, GNU Smalltalk will perform incremental garbage
collection.  When it finishes, GNU Smalltalk will consume zero CPU.

* Mostly rewritten Windows port.  It should mostly work except for
sockets (the socket code will likely be rewritten for all platforms for
3.3 anyway).  An experimental installer will be made available shortly.

* Support for one-way become (Object>>#becomeForward:).

* The millisecond clock uses CLOCK_MONOTONIC where available.

New features (packages):

* Many improvements to the Gtk bindings.

* NetClients supports ESMTP commands.

* New goodie, the SandstoneDb object persistence framework.

* Swazoo upgraded to version 2.2, plus local fixes.

* The Complex package uses numerically stable algorithms

* The Continuations package provides delimited continuations via
BlockClosure>>#shift and BlockClosure>>#reset.  Both methods accept a
block (1-arg for shift, 0-arg for reset).

* An XML pull parser is included as package XML-PullParser.  The package
is based on the VisualWorks and Squeak pull parsers by Anthony Blakey
and Ken Treis.

* In addition to the validating XML parser, a non-validating Expat-based
parser is available in package XML-Expat.  The Expat parser is
experimental, but it is very fast and supports both pull and push operation.

Bug fixes:

* Code running as a Generator now honors exception handlers outside the
Generator block.

* Fixed copying of Dictionary to not share the underlying associations.

* Fixed ##() expressions that return a block

* EPIPE is handled correctly.

* Running on kernels without SOCK_CLOEXEC support will not fail even if
the VM was compiled on a kernel that supported it.

* The Sockets package failed to initialize when the machine was not
connected to the network; this has been fixed.

* The Transcript now uses a RecursionLock.  This fixes crashes when an
exception occurred while printing a backtrace.

Miscellaneous:

* GNU Smalltalk now does not rely anymore on specific (old) versions of
libtool.

* GNU Smalltalk tries to enable Emacs modes automatically on systems
that support a site-lisp/site-start.d directory.

* REPL autocompletion includes all symbols including unary messages (and
variable names).

* Process-local variables are now stored in an IdentityDictionary rather
than a LookupTable.

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2 released

Holger Freyther
On 05/02/2010 04:14 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> GNU Smalltalk 3.2 has been released at

Congratulation! Are there any plans for GNU Smalltalk 3.3? Would
enabling the JIT for x86, fixing the pre-emptive mode or porting more
Software worthwhile goals?

On 05/02/2010 10:35 AM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> On 05/02/2010 04:14 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> GNU Smalltalk 3.2 has been released at
>
> Congratulation! Are there any plans for GNU Smalltalk 3.3?

I would like to use more of glib and integrate the event loop in the VM.
  I have not planned anything else so far.

Is preemptive mode broken?

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2 released

Thomas Girard
Hello,

Le 02/05/2010 10:14, Paolo Bonzini a écrit :
> GNU Smalltalk 3.2 has been released at

Congrats!

A quick:
   ./configure ; make; make check ; make install
then:
   $PREFIX/bin/gst-browser

is really worth a try.

I'm going to package this ASAP.

Kudos to Gwenaël and everyone involved in this release.

Thomas

On 05/02/2010 04:37 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> Is preemptive mode broken?

make check is failing in the Process test.

On 05/02/2010 11:29 AM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> On 05/02/2010 04:37 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>

>> Is preemptive mode broken?
>
> make check is failing in the Process test.

Ah, I guess that's kind of expected since that test relies on knowledge
of the exact scheduling order.  I guess I can disable it for gst -r.

Thanks,

Paolo

On 05/02/2010 06:00 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 05/02/2010 11:29 AM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>> On 05/02/2010 04:37 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>

>>> Is preemptive mode broken?
>>
>> make check is failing in the Process test.
>
> Ah, I guess that's kind of expected since that test relies on knowledge
> of the exact scheduling order.  I guess I can disable it for gst -r.

Okay, but before disabling it we should take another look. The failure I
was seeing was that the process test just got stuck. I assumed that this
was a real failure (in contrast to different output).

I will try to test it this week and come up with a proper bug report.

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2 released

Stefan Izota
On 5/2/2010 11:14 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> GNU Smalltalk 3.2 has been released at

Congratulations!

> * Mostly rewritten Windows port.  It should mostly work except for
> sockets (the socket code will likely be rewritten for all platforms
> for 3.3 anyway).  An experimental installer will be made available
> shortly.

Can't wait to test that. :)

Regards,
Stefan Izota

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2 released

ZuLuuuuuu
Paolo Bonzini-2 wrote
GNU Smalltalk 3.2 has been released ...
Nothing like getting up in the morning and finding out that a new version has been released for your favorite language... Congratulations and thank you.

I have installed the new version, works great so far. I couldn't open another image file, though, using VisualGST, it says: "Can not remove the transcript tab" when I click "Open" in the "File" menu. Should I report that?
Canol Gökel

On 05/02/2010 01:19 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Congratulations to all for the great great work!
>
> Some days ago, I tried under osx:
> Autoreconf -vi
> ./configure
> Make
> Make install
>
> But I can't see gst-browser
>
> I'm missing something?

It means that you're lacking some of the prerequisites.  GTK+ is
available for Mac OS X at http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net/ (I don't know
where the prebuilt frameworks are).

Paolo

On 05/02/2010 12:53 PM, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:

> Paolo Bonzini-2 wrote:
>>
>> GNU Smalltalk 3.2 has been released ...
>>

> Nothing like getting up in the morning and finding out that a new version
> has been released for your favorite language... Congratulations and thank
> you.
>
> I have installed the new version, works great so far. I couldn't open
> another image file, though, using VisualGST, it says: "Can not remove the
> transcript tab" when I click "Open" in the "File" menu. Should I report
> that?

You already did.

I think that File/Open should open a new workspace, it should not close
the current one (which automatically would fix Canol's bug).

Paolo

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2 released

Nicolas Petton
Cool!

Congrats to you and gwen for this awesome release :)

Nico

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2 released

Roland Plüss-2

On 05/02/2010 10:14 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> GNU Smalltalk 3.2 has been released at  (...)
Anybody in contact with GenToo? The smalltalk ebuild got masked because
of the libtool issue. With the new version it should be compatible
again. Would be nice to get it back in portage.

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland

Leader and Head Programmer
- Game: Epsylon ( http://epsylon.rptd.ch/ ,
http://www.moddb.com/games/4057/epsylon )
- Game Engine: Drag(en)gine ( http://dragengine.rptd.ch ,
http://www.moddb.com/engines/9/dragengine )
- Normal Map Generator: DENormGen ( http://epsylon.rptd.ch/denormgen.php )

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 15:32, Roland Plüss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/02/2010 10:14 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> GNU Smalltalk 3.2 has been released at  (...)
> Anybody in contact with GenToo? The smalltalk ebuild got masked because
> of the libtool issue. With the new version it should be compatible
> again. Would be nice to get it back in portage.

I cannot do anything about that, the patches were already there for 3.1.

Paolo

On 05/02/2010 07:29 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 15:32, Roland Plüss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 05/02/2010 10:14 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>
>>> GNU Smalltalk 3.2 has been released at  (...)
>>>
>> Anybody in contact with GenToo? The smalltalk ebuild got masked because
>> of the libtool issue. With the new version it should be compatible
>> again. Would be nice to get it back in portage.
>>
> I cannot do anything about that, the patches were already there for 3.1.
>
> Paolo

Tried posting in the forum but nobody seems to care. Anybody has the
e-mail of the maintainer? This is really pissing me off to drop
gnu-smalltalk just like a hot potato. GenToo really went down the drain
in the last years <.=.<

On 05/03/2010 09:51 PM, Roland Plüss wrote:

> Tried posting in the forum but nobody seems to care. Anybody has the
> e-mail of the maintainer? This is really pissing me off to drop
> gnu-smalltalk just like a hot potato. GenToo really went down the drain
> in the last years <.=.<

Well, have you tried the Gentoo bugtracker? You can certainly not force
someone to care about GNU Smalltalk, if you like Gentoo and want GNU
Smalltalk to be present you can certainly become a Gentoo Maintainer. :)

holger

Re: GNU Smalltalk 3.2 released

Mathieu Suen-2
Also on OSX you should have to compile it in 32 bit arch.
Make sure you have all the dependency also  compile in 32 but.

Using macport just edit the file /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf
and uncomment the line:
build_arch i386

You may also face the bug
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/20284
and
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24623

The ugly fast way to make it work is to hack the Makefile and force the architecture with

CFLAGS=-m32 ...
LDFLAGS=-arch i386 ...

Then when you compile gnu-smalltalk don't forget to make it 32 with:

./configure CFLAGS=-m32

HTH

        Mth

On 05/03/2010 03:58 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:

> On 05/03/2010 09:51 PM, Roland Plüss wrote:
>

>> Tried posting in the forum but nobody seems to care. Anybody has the
>> e-mail of the maintainer? This is really pissing me off to drop
>> gnu-smalltalk just like a hot potato. GenToo really went down the drain
>> in the last years <.=.<
>>

> Well, have you tried the Gentoo bugtracker? You can certainly not force
> someone to care about GNU Smalltalk, if you like Gentoo and want GNU
> Smalltalk to be present you can certainly become a Gentoo Maintainer. :)
>
> holger

Certainly not. You can't become a maintainer just like that. Besides I
got already prior in conflict with them neglecting problems by placing
the blame on others. Besides it's not about forcing to care. They masked
all GNU Smalltalk ebuilds because of a problem which had been fixed!
That's nonsense. A maintainer is there to maintain a package. So no
forcing to care, that's his job.

Concerning the bug tracker I did not get out something useful.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen
Plüss Roland

Leader und Head Programmer

On 05/04/2010 08:50 PM, Bèrto ëd Sèra wrote:

> What about making an overlay for gst? So we can manage it ourselves
> and they can rely on us without giving us the keys to the main engine
> :) I can volunteer space and hopefully some work in the next weeks,
> too.
>
> Bèrto
>
> On 4 May 2010 16:52, Roland Plüss <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Well, have you tried the Gentoo bugtracker? You can certainly not force
>>> someone to care about GNU Smalltalk, if you like Gentoo and want GNU
>>> Smalltalk to be present you can certainly become a Gentoo Maintainer. :)
>>>
>>> holger
>>>

>> Certainly not. You can't become a maintainer just like that. Besides I
>> got already prior in conflict with them neglecting problems by placing
>> the blame on others. Besides it's not about forcing to care. They masked
>> all GNU Smalltalk ebuilds because of a problem which had been fixed!
>> That's nonsense. A maintainer is there to maintain a package. So no
>> forcing to care, that's his job.
>>
>> Concerning the bug tracker I did not get out something useful.
Been there, done that. It's a fucking pain in the but for both those
providing an overlay ebuild and those using it. Not because of the tech
itself as layman works well enough it's because of gentoo people. If you
want to you can do it but not we me, no thanks. I had my fair share of
overlay drama and don't want to do this again. Gentoo is the linux
distro equivalent of a dictatorship nowadays.

On 05/04/2010 03:52 PM, Roland Plüss wrote:

> On 05/03/2010 03:58 PM, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>
>> On 05/03/2010 09:51 PM, Roland Plüss wrote:
>>

>>> Tried posting in the forum but nobody seems to care. Anybody has the
>>> e-mail of the maintainer? This is really pissing me off to drop
>>> gnu-smalltalk just like a hot potato. GenToo really went down the drain
>>> in the last years <.=.<
>>>

>> Well, have you tried the Gentoo bugtracker? You can certainly not force
>> someone to care about GNU Smalltalk, if you like Gentoo and want GNU
>> Smalltalk to be present you can certainly become a Gentoo Maintainer. :)
>>
>> holger
>>

> Certainly not. You can't become a maintainer just like that. Besides I
> got already prior in conflict with them neglecting problems by placing
> the blame on others. Besides it's not about forcing to care. They masked
> all GNU Smalltalk ebuilds because of a problem which had been fixed!
> That's nonsense. A maintainer is there to maintain a package. So no
> forcing to care, that's his job.
>
> Concerning the bug tracker I did not get out something useful.

Figured out the e-mail address of somebody who might be a maintainer.
It's the only e-mail I found. Send an e-mail flying in that general
direction. Let's see if I get an answer in one form or the other.